GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Stop with the sequels!"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 07/04/03 at 16:43
Regular
Sequels:

As a gamer I am sure you will have your fair share of sequel games in your collection. Most sequels are good games, improved versions of the original with better gameplay, graphics amongst other improvements. But are sequels really a good thing?

9 times out of 10 when a game is successful, the developer gets the sequel in the pipeline immediately. This is good for the average gamer and for the developer’s pocket, because quite often the sequels outsell the original game. But does the gaming market really want more of the same? Are sequels clogging up the gaming world and filling up space where new and original games should be?

Lets take a look at the worst offenders:

Duke Nukem.

One of the first 3D shooters, the original was moderate but not exceptional, but still it sold. So the developers created ream after ream of the games. Perhaps they only sold well because hormonal teens wanted to see the stripper girls in their 32 bit glory and didn’t have access to the internet. The guns were moderate and the corny dialogue was atrocious. Too many sequels killed anything the game had to offer and hopefully it will be left well alone from now on.

Unreal.

A late but successful first person shooter that was mainly successful for its online gaming capabilities. It spawned a series of “tournament” games designed to be played over the internet or LAN connection, each with a few more guns and levels than the last. Nothing special really, purely made for hardcore online gamers, but they should perhaps have made the extra little things downloadable in patch format instead of having to create another title.

FIFA

Now as for the console games of Fifa I don’t particularly mind a new one been released each season, but the PC ones really annoy me. The graphics can be improved on the consoles but on the PC they are always the same, the only difference is that there is new players names and managers and a different commentator voice. And for those little bonuses you pay £30. Most people prefer to play with a custom team anyway, so what does it matter?

Ejay

Those of you who have used any of the Ejay titles know that it is basically a music generator with pre-recorded samples. They actually have the audacity to release an add-on with a few more sounds to create more songs and tell all your mates your a superstar DJ, when in actually fact many people will have the exact same “banging tune” as you. The samples are royalty free though, so you can use them on a website or something else.

Bond

After the release of “007-Nightfire” I decided that there are way too many Bond games. They ride on the success of the movies and, don’t get me wrong, some of them are good. Goldeneye was a brilliant game, but they are over hyped and the gameplay is much of the same, making them repetitive and boring. They are a waste of a good license and released too close together. A great shame because the films are fantastic.

All in all sequels can be good, but generally are not a lot better than their predecessors and clog the market up with similar titles, not leaving a gap for new and original titles to get the recognition that they deserve.

Cheers for reading

-kyz²²-
Wed 09/04/03 at 15:08
Regular
Some sequels are good, others not. Depends on the game, etc.

I think the PC versions of the Sims should get a mention as well.

At the end of the day, if you don't like them, don't buy them.
Mon 07/04/03 at 20:20
Regular
"Z will be here soon"
DW wrote:
> No more Gameaday's for Kyz, heh.

I have 3 GADs from reviews which aint too bad, I will still do posts though :-D
Mon 07/04/03 at 20:07
Regular
No more Gameaday's for Kyz, heh.

Unless he reviews...

Dunno...

Bah...

*Dies*
Mon 07/04/03 at 19:55
"slightlyshortertagl"
i want a copy of eJay
Mon 07/04/03 at 19:51
Regular
"Look!!! Changed!!!1"
The obsession with sequels bugs me - WHO CARES!?!? There are loads of great sequels, some okay ones, some rubbish ones. The fact they are sequels has almost no relvance to which category they fall into, they are just like all the other games. Even if there are some dodgy ones "flooding the market", I don't buy games at random. I only choose ones I pretty certain I'll like. I'm also pretty happy to see new Mario, Zelda, Championship Manager etc etc games every so often. In fact, I'd sell my Grandmother (she's sick anyway) to get Advance Wars 2 now. Or Golden Sun 2.
Mon 07/04/03 at 19:45
Regular
"Jog on, sunshine"
If you make a sequel to this, so help you... :D
Mon 07/04/03 at 19:42
Regular
"no longer El Blokey"
Cubist wrote:
> Yeah but he could have atleast left it a few days instead of just
> doing it like a day later when I will obviously notice. Anyway I'm
> keeping my composure....

I wasn't talking to you.
Mon 07/04/03 at 19:40
Regular
"Brrrrr."
Great post, Kyz, as per usual! Ejay have released too many versions, though! They are all the same!
Mon 07/04/03 at 17:08
Regular
"Sex On Wheels"
Yeah but he could have atleast left it a few days instead of just doing it like a day later when I will obviously notice. Anyway I'm keeping my composure....
Mon 07/04/03 at 17:07
Regular
"no longer El Blokey"
1. EVERYBODY has done this subject, EVERYBODY

2. Sequels can be good. For example, GTA3, Smackdown 4, Metroid Prime.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

10/10
Over the years I've become very jaded after many bad experiences with customer services, you have bucked the trend. Polite and efficient from the Freeola team, well done to all involved.
I've been with Freeola for 14 years...
I've been with Freeola for 14 years now, and in that time you have proven time and time again to be a top-ranking internet service provider and unbeatable hosting service. Thank you.
Anthony

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.