GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Nagging Nans, Agony Aunts and Pestering Parents"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 27/11/01 at 21:38
Regular
“Hey! Get off that computer right now! It’s bad for your eyes!”

We’ve all heard these words before, haven’t we, whether it’s from your Nagging Nan, Agony Aunt or your Pestering parents, they always seems to know best?
Also, have you noticed the fact that these control freaks, known as our relatives, also know when you have a headache or if your eyes are straining due to too much screen- time? It’s like they can read your minds!

What puzzles me is why? Why do our parents and relatives, that are older than 30-years-of-age (sorry to all the gamers over 30), think that it’s damaging when you’re on your laptop, computer or games consoles?

Recently I’ve had a few arguments with my parents over spending too much time on my PC. While voices were raised, hatred spoken and my dog barking very loudly due to the shouts, I calmly (well I tried to be calm) explained to my parents, seeing if we could sort something out.

This is basically what I said:
“It is out of order that you (my parents) control me so much! When I’m on the PC it’s not like I’m playing games, blasting peoples heads off with a plasma pistol. I’m writing intelligent topics on the forums of SR.”

My parent’s argument was that if I spent too much time on the computer my homework would take second place, it would give me headaches or I would lose interest in my social life.

This is how I replied:
Homework: “I promise that I’ll do all my all homework before I go on the computer.”

Headaches due to computers: “If I get off the computer and do what my brother and sisters are doing (probably watching TV) I’ll be doing exactly the same thing, which is watching a screen. But on the PC I’m writing intelligent topics, therefore the TV would seem more damaging to your eyes.”

Lose interest in social life: To this I just said, “Don’t be stupid” :)

These are a few tips to anyone out there having similar troubles with parents :)

To get a fair view on things I asked my Mum why she thinks it’s damaging to spend too long on games console or PCs.

Here’s her reply:
“I will never be a fan of computers/ game consoles even though my children keep telling me to move with the times; I still find it difficult to accept their views especially when I see them sitting indoors playing on computers instead of being outside in the fresh air getting exercise and conversing with friends face to face instead of on chat rooms. This will definitely not be a case of if you can’t beat them join them.”

Bah, parents, I’ll never understand them :)

No matter how strong my Mums views are she is really a nice person :)

So after judging both sides I’ve decided that the reason many parents across the world can’t except consoles and computers these days is that when they were our age they never had anything like PS2 or the internet, they didn’t even have computers! They had their imagination and a game called Cowboys And Indians. So therefore they don’t see computers like we do.

When were al older there’ll be some new kind of technology, that we will look at as un-sociable etc. as we’ve never had anything like this in our generation. We’ll probably complain and say similar things that are parents say now just because we want to protect our kids.

Whatever your parent’s opinions maybe its very doubtful that you’d be able to do a thing about it, so what I say to do is wait till your 16-years-of age when you can move out…

Sorted...
Wed 28/11/01 at 15:32
Regular
"Hoo Har"
Hey Stryke! It was a joke! Just because we argue a bit on MSN doesn't mean we have to brnig it to the forums!
Now grow up and stop spamming, you wasting my time.
Wed 28/11/01 at 08:16
Regular
What good advice, JC. Let's all move out of home when we're 16 because we want to play on the computer. Fun education, that doesn't matter, and fun the fact we must work to survive, which gives us less time to play on the computer. Moron.
Tue 27/11/01 at 21:57
Regular
These arguments happen SO often, my mum doesn't mind if i'm writing a topic/review, but when i'm on the chats rooms i don't get as much time, everyday life is cruel...
Tue 27/11/01 at 21:38
Regular
"Hoo Har"
“Hey! Get off that computer right now! It’s bad for your eyes!”

We’ve all heard these words before, haven’t we, whether it’s from your Nagging Nan, Agony Aunt or your Pestering parents, they always seems to know best?
Also, have you noticed the fact that these control freaks, known as our relatives, also know when you have a headache or if your eyes are straining due to too much screen- time? It’s like they can read your minds!

What puzzles me is why? Why do our parents and relatives, that are older than 30-years-of-age (sorry to all the gamers over 30), think that it’s damaging when you’re on your laptop, computer or games consoles?

Recently I’ve had a few arguments with my parents over spending too much time on my PC. While voices were raised, hatred spoken and my dog barking very loudly due to the shouts, I calmly (well I tried to be calm) explained to my parents, seeing if we could sort something out.

This is basically what I said:
“It is out of order that you (my parents) control me so much! When I’m on the PC it’s not like I’m playing games, blasting peoples heads off with a plasma pistol. I’m writing intelligent topics on the forums of SR.”

My parent’s argument was that if I spent too much time on the computer my homework would take second place, it would give me headaches or I would lose interest in my social life.

This is how I replied:
Homework: “I promise that I’ll do all my all homework before I go on the computer.”

Headaches due to computers: “If I get off the computer and do what my brother and sisters are doing (probably watching TV) I’ll be doing exactly the same thing, which is watching a screen. But on the PC I’m writing intelligent topics, therefore the TV would seem more damaging to your eyes.”

Lose interest in social life: To this I just said, “Don’t be stupid” :)

These are a few tips to anyone out there having similar troubles with parents :)

To get a fair view on things I asked my Mum why she thinks it’s damaging to spend too long on games console or PCs.

Here’s her reply:
“I will never be a fan of computers/ game consoles even though my children keep telling me to move with the times; I still find it difficult to accept their views especially when I see them sitting indoors playing on computers instead of being outside in the fresh air getting exercise and conversing with friends face to face instead of on chat rooms. This will definitely not be a case of if you can’t beat them join them.”

Bah, parents, I’ll never understand them :)

No matter how strong my Mums views are she is really a nice person :)

So after judging both sides I’ve decided that the reason many parents across the world can’t except consoles and computers these days is that when they were our age they never had anything like PS2 or the internet, they didn’t even have computers! They had their imagination and a game called Cowboys And Indians. So therefore they don’t see computers like we do.

When were al older there’ll be some new kind of technology, that we will look at as un-sociable etc. as we’ve never had anything like this in our generation. We’ll probably complain and say similar things that are parents say now just because we want to protect our kids.

Whatever your parent’s opinions maybe its very doubtful that you’d be able to do a thing about it, so what I say to do is wait till your 16-years-of age when you can move out…

Sorted...

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Continue this excellent work...
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do, I am delighted.
My website looks tremendous!
Fantastic site, easy to follow, simple guides... impressed with whole package. My website looks tremendous. You don't need to be a rocket scientist to set this up, Freeola helps you step-by-step.
Susan

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.