GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Terminator DVD"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 27/11/01 at 18:57
Regular
This is without doubt Arnold Schwarzenegger’s greatest role, as the ultra-efficient and remorseless cyborg; send back in time to change the course of events in the future. His target is the young Sarah Connor, whose unborn son would later lead a resistance movement against the very machines who sent the Terminator back; machines that are attempting to wipe out all human life. Her only hope lies with a soldier named Kyle Reese, who has also been sent back from the future, this time by her son, John Connor, in an attempt to protect his mother and guarantee the very existence of humanity.

Originally marketed as a science fiction “B” movie by the studio, The Terminator unexpectedly attracted a massive audience, who eventually convinced the writer and director, James Cameron, to pen a hugely successful sequel. Featuring two of the stars from the original, T:2 was given a very high budget and featured some stunning special effects, both of which undoubtedly contributed towards its success. However, it’s my opinion that the original film is still the better of the two, and is an absolute classic amongst modern sci-fi / horror movies. Its release on DVD has been a long time coming, but it’s most definitely been worth the wait. Featuring a re-mastered Dolby Digital 5.1 soundtrack, a crisp anamorphic wide screen picture, and a multitude of extra features, this two-disc DVD set is an essential purchase for all fans of this groundbreaking movie.

From the roaring MGM lion at the beginning of the film, through to the superior musical score played over the closing credits, the sound quality is very impressive. An often forgotten aspect of the movie is Brad Fiedel's atmospheric score, which although being deceptively simple, is very effective in building up the tension throughout the film. Its repetitive beat seems perfectly suited to the cold, systematic nature of the Terminator, while also providing an occasional emotional high when appropriate to the story.

The picture quality too, is also good. Despite most of the film being shot at nighttimes, the images and colours are sharp and therefore bring at lot more to the movie. Brightness levels are, on the whole, spot-on, although you may find that certain scenes require some adjustment to your television’s brightness settings. This isn’t really a criticism of the DVD though, as I’m sure shooting in darkness for most of the movie couldn’t have been easy for the filmmakers. I was, however, very impressed with the visual appearance of lighting throughout the film, especially when reflected off the black roads and the dark, shadowy buildings. I thought these effects were very well handled and really add to the overall atmosphere of the movie. There is a little grain on the picture in places, but given the age of the print, this is probably as good a transfer as we’re going to get.

As I mentioned earlier, there’s a host of special features on this DVD, all of which can be found on the second disc. Divided into "still" and "video" extras, there is plenty here that makes for very interesting viewing. Although I have my reservations about the usefulness of many of the still features, any disappointment is more than made up for with the addition of some excellent documentaries and deleted scenes.

The majority of the stills are photographs, some which were taken on set, and others that show details of the artwork, special effects and model-making that were essential to the movie. While these would have been great if presented full-screen, the majority of the stills are too small to be of any use. This is extremely disappointing, and it does seem like they were only added to fill up the DVD. Of all the photographs, probably the best are those that show the publicity materials for the film. Additionally, the original treatment script is also included in this section. While you’re unlikely to want to read the whole thing, it is interesting to note the differences between the original screenplay and the final film.

As has become standard with most DVDs now, the original trailers and TV spots that accompanied the film have been included. What surprised me most about them though was how poor they were! Cheesy voiceovers and unimaginative use of film clips are the order of the day, and I was laughing at most of them. I don’t know whether this was the standard for movie trailers in the early eighties, but they certainly provided me with a bit of humour, albeit unintentionally. We’re entertained with three trailers – standard, international and teaser – and two TV spots. All of these are spectacularly similar. Still, I’m glad they’ve been included, especially as I’d never actually seen them before. However, I doubt I’ll be watching them again.
The best of the extras on the DVD are the two documentaries that are included in this section. The first, entitled "Terminator – A Retrospective", is a short (20 minute) piece that features an interview with James Cameron, conducted in 1986, and an informal chat between Cameron and Schwarzenegger, filmed shortly after the release of T:2. Both of these shed some light onto the production processes behind the filming of The Terminator, including original casting decisions and shooting anecdotes. Most interestingly, Schwarzenegger was originally chosen to play the role of Reese, with Lance Henriksen portraying the Terminator. I’m sure the overall look of the film, and Schwarzenegger’s future career, would have been very different had these decisions been carried forward into the movie.

"Other Voices" is the second documentary, which has a longer duration of around one hour. This includes comments from many of the principal people behind the film, including Michael Biehn, Linda Hamilton, Stan Winston (make-up and special effects) and Gale Anne Hurd (the film’s producer and also James Cameron’s wife). Some of the background stories are very funny, although there's also a lot of interesting information provided as well. A large chunk of the feature is concerned with the special effects, the most revealing being the filming of the apocalyptic future landscape, where humans are forced to live underground to escape the Hunter-Killers and Infiltrators employed by the machines.

There are seven deleted scenes in total, some more revealing than others. The most notable of these are:

"Sarah Fights Back": Sarah tells Reese of her plans to stop Cyberdyne Systems developing the advanced microchip that would later power the intelligent machines of the future. This foreshadows events to come in T:2, and also shows the audience another, more determined, side to Sarah’s character. This sequence also reveals the effect all of this is having on Reese. He feels 'out of time', and can’t stop himself thinking how different the present is to the bleak future he has already experienced.

"Making Bombs": a short scene between Sarah and Reese, in which Sarah reflects on the kind of life herself and Reese might lead should they manage to defeat the Terminator.

"The Factory": A crucial discovery is made at the end of the movie, and as the ambulance drives away, the name of the factory is revealed to be Cyberdyne Systems. Just as it should be, everything has come full circle, but the irony of it all was perhaps too much for the film’s conclusion.

I’m not sure if the movie would have been any better or worse with the inclusion of any of these scenes, but they definitely make for intriguing viewing and are a very welcome addition to the DVD.

There are subtitles provided in English, English for the hard of hearing, Dutch, Swedish, Norwegian, Danish, Portuguese, Polish, Greek, Romanian, Turkish, Arabic, Finnish, and Hungarian. Something to note is that there are also English subtitles for the documentaries and deleted scenes; something that isn’t seen very often on DVD extras.

Something I haven’t yet touched on is the short booklet that is included with the DVD. Although it does cover much of the same material mentioned in the documentaries, the best part of it is a quote from Cameron explaining why O.J. Simpson was turned down for the role of the Terminator:

"People wouldn’t have believed a nice guy like O.J. playing the part of a ruthless killer."

Although by no means a perfect DVD set, this is still a very impressive transfer of a memorable and highly influential movie. Along with Blade Runner, The Terminator arguably kick-started the 'Tech-Noir' genre of movies, but it cannot be categorised that easily itself. Cameron successfully weaves together elements of science fiction, horror, action and romance in what many consider to be his best movie. The additional features on the DVD really add to the film, especially the deleted scenes, which reveal a thoughtful and intellectual narrative that makes for fascinating viewing.
Tue 27/11/01 at 18:57
Regular
"Fat Red-Capped Vale"
This is without doubt Arnold Schwarzenegger’s greatest role, as the ultra-efficient and remorseless cyborg; send back in time to change the course of events in the future. His target is the young Sarah Connor, whose unborn son would later lead a resistance movement against the very machines who sent the Terminator back; machines that are attempting to wipe out all human life. Her only hope lies with a soldier named Kyle Reese, who has also been sent back from the future, this time by her son, John Connor, in an attempt to protect his mother and guarantee the very existence of humanity.

Originally marketed as a science fiction “B” movie by the studio, The Terminator unexpectedly attracted a massive audience, who eventually convinced the writer and director, James Cameron, to pen a hugely successful sequel. Featuring two of the stars from the original, T:2 was given a very high budget and featured some stunning special effects, both of which undoubtedly contributed towards its success. However, it’s my opinion that the original film is still the better of the two, and is an absolute classic amongst modern sci-fi / horror movies. Its release on DVD has been a long time coming, but it’s most definitely been worth the wait. Featuring a re-mastered Dolby Digital 5.1 soundtrack, a crisp anamorphic wide screen picture, and a multitude of extra features, this two-disc DVD set is an essential purchase for all fans of this groundbreaking movie.

From the roaring MGM lion at the beginning of the film, through to the superior musical score played over the closing credits, the sound quality is very impressive. An often forgotten aspect of the movie is Brad Fiedel's atmospheric score, which although being deceptively simple, is very effective in building up the tension throughout the film. Its repetitive beat seems perfectly suited to the cold, systematic nature of the Terminator, while also providing an occasional emotional high when appropriate to the story.

The picture quality too, is also good. Despite most of the film being shot at nighttimes, the images and colours are sharp and therefore bring at lot more to the movie. Brightness levels are, on the whole, spot-on, although you may find that certain scenes require some adjustment to your television’s brightness settings. This isn’t really a criticism of the DVD though, as I’m sure shooting in darkness for most of the movie couldn’t have been easy for the filmmakers. I was, however, very impressed with the visual appearance of lighting throughout the film, especially when reflected off the black roads and the dark, shadowy buildings. I thought these effects were very well handled and really add to the overall atmosphere of the movie. There is a little grain on the picture in places, but given the age of the print, this is probably as good a transfer as we’re going to get.

As I mentioned earlier, there’s a host of special features on this DVD, all of which can be found on the second disc. Divided into "still" and "video" extras, there is plenty here that makes for very interesting viewing. Although I have my reservations about the usefulness of many of the still features, any disappointment is more than made up for with the addition of some excellent documentaries and deleted scenes.

The majority of the stills are photographs, some which were taken on set, and others that show details of the artwork, special effects and model-making that were essential to the movie. While these would have been great if presented full-screen, the majority of the stills are too small to be of any use. This is extremely disappointing, and it does seem like they were only added to fill up the DVD. Of all the photographs, probably the best are those that show the publicity materials for the film. Additionally, the original treatment script is also included in this section. While you’re unlikely to want to read the whole thing, it is interesting to note the differences between the original screenplay and the final film.

As has become standard with most DVDs now, the original trailers and TV spots that accompanied the film have been included. What surprised me most about them though was how poor they were! Cheesy voiceovers and unimaginative use of film clips are the order of the day, and I was laughing at most of them. I don’t know whether this was the standard for movie trailers in the early eighties, but they certainly provided me with a bit of humour, albeit unintentionally. We’re entertained with three trailers – standard, international and teaser – and two TV spots. All of these are spectacularly similar. Still, I’m glad they’ve been included, especially as I’d never actually seen them before. However, I doubt I’ll be watching them again.
The best of the extras on the DVD are the two documentaries that are included in this section. The first, entitled "Terminator – A Retrospective", is a short (20 minute) piece that features an interview with James Cameron, conducted in 1986, and an informal chat between Cameron and Schwarzenegger, filmed shortly after the release of T:2. Both of these shed some light onto the production processes behind the filming of The Terminator, including original casting decisions and shooting anecdotes. Most interestingly, Schwarzenegger was originally chosen to play the role of Reese, with Lance Henriksen portraying the Terminator. I’m sure the overall look of the film, and Schwarzenegger’s future career, would have been very different had these decisions been carried forward into the movie.

"Other Voices" is the second documentary, which has a longer duration of around one hour. This includes comments from many of the principal people behind the film, including Michael Biehn, Linda Hamilton, Stan Winston (make-up and special effects) and Gale Anne Hurd (the film’s producer and also James Cameron’s wife). Some of the background stories are very funny, although there's also a lot of interesting information provided as well. A large chunk of the feature is concerned with the special effects, the most revealing being the filming of the apocalyptic future landscape, where humans are forced to live underground to escape the Hunter-Killers and Infiltrators employed by the machines.

There are seven deleted scenes in total, some more revealing than others. The most notable of these are:

"Sarah Fights Back": Sarah tells Reese of her plans to stop Cyberdyne Systems developing the advanced microchip that would later power the intelligent machines of the future. This foreshadows events to come in T:2, and also shows the audience another, more determined, side to Sarah’s character. This sequence also reveals the effect all of this is having on Reese. He feels 'out of time', and can’t stop himself thinking how different the present is to the bleak future he has already experienced.

"Making Bombs": a short scene between Sarah and Reese, in which Sarah reflects on the kind of life herself and Reese might lead should they manage to defeat the Terminator.

"The Factory": A crucial discovery is made at the end of the movie, and as the ambulance drives away, the name of the factory is revealed to be Cyberdyne Systems. Just as it should be, everything has come full circle, but the irony of it all was perhaps too much for the film’s conclusion.

I’m not sure if the movie would have been any better or worse with the inclusion of any of these scenes, but they definitely make for intriguing viewing and are a very welcome addition to the DVD.

There are subtitles provided in English, English for the hard of hearing, Dutch, Swedish, Norwegian, Danish, Portuguese, Polish, Greek, Romanian, Turkish, Arabic, Finnish, and Hungarian. Something to note is that there are also English subtitles for the documentaries and deleted scenes; something that isn’t seen very often on DVD extras.

Something I haven’t yet touched on is the short booklet that is included with the DVD. Although it does cover much of the same material mentioned in the documentaries, the best part of it is a quote from Cameron explaining why O.J. Simpson was turned down for the role of the Terminator:

"People wouldn’t have believed a nice guy like O.J. playing the part of a ruthless killer."

Although by no means a perfect DVD set, this is still a very impressive transfer of a memorable and highly influential movie. Along with Blade Runner, The Terminator arguably kick-started the 'Tech-Noir' genre of movies, but it cannot be categorised that easily itself. Cameron successfully weaves together elements of science fiction, horror, action and romance in what many consider to be his best movie. The additional features on the DVD really add to the film, especially the deleted scenes, which reveal a thoughtful and intellectual narrative that makes for fascinating viewing.
Tue 27/11/01 at 19:42
Regular
why didnt you post it in ukreviews?
Tue 27/11/01 at 19:58
Regular
Yeah, what she said. Just because it's over 4000 characters. Sigh..
Tue 27/11/01 at 20:13
Regular
oh is it?
i didnt notice
ok you are free to go about your business

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Thanks!
Thank you for dealing with this so promptly it's nice having a service provider that offers a good service, rare to find nowadays.
My website looks tremendous!
Fantastic site, easy to follow, simple guides... impressed with whole package. My website looks tremendous. You don't need to be a rocket scientist to set this up, Freeola helps you step-by-step.
Susan

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.