GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"No more justification!"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 09/04/03 at 10:34
Regular
I find myself forever justifying why I should be allowed to go off and play games on my PC/PS2/GBA, when I know deep down I shouldn't have to. If I fancy a game of say Mortal Kombat because I want to beat the mary hell out of someone, well then by golly I'm going to do it. But what of the excuses that we make up? They're totally transparent and yet are almost as essential to game players like you and me, as control pads are to playing the things. So, you fancy a game of something, turn around to the person next to you and say, I'm just off to play 'so and so' because....

I'M NOT IN THE MOOD/CAN'T BE BOTHERED TO WATCH TV
This is a classic excuse which has to be used with extreme caution. Why? Well because you'll only be told by your other half/parents that you'll be watching a TV to play on your games console. Although this is their best argument, you need to be prepared to comeback with a witty reply that confuses them, thus giving you time to disappear off into gaming heaven. Ones to try are "No mum, it's a monitor actually" if your about to go on the PC, or "No Dad, the GBA has a reflective TFT colour LCD screen". They'll work like a charm! But f you're off to play on your PS2/X-Box/GC then try to come up with a mumble, as then whoever has tried to be clever saying you'll be watching a TV will try and work out what you've actually said. By the time they give up thinking about what they thought you said, you'll be on level 7.

I JUST WANT TO GET ONTO THE NEXT LEVEL ON THAT GAME
Another classic excuse which you'll have to be quick on the ball with because they may walk past you at two different points in time and you'll have to explain why you've gone from playing a level in a desert, to playing one under water, to now being in a car! This will only work with people who haven't played the game(s) your playing, otherwise you know you're going to be in the doghouse when they realise that that section wasn't on the level their playing when you played it.

I'M ONLY GOING TO BE 5 MINUTES
How many times have we all used this one. You live by a lie, you die by the lie. NEVER use this excuse if you're off to play Championship Manager, unless you can make the person whos complaining about how long you've been on that "thing" (as they call it) that you said 5 Hours, HOURS....not minutes! If you've ever said you'll only be 5 minutes and then actually have only taken 5 minutes, then you must have some unresolved issues. My advise...get yourself out from under that thumb!

I'M BORED
Rest in Peace. You'll only ever say this the once believe you me. If you've said this to you parents then you'll end up cleaning or tidying something, or holding your mums hand down the local supermarket. If you've said this to your girlfriend, then heaven forbid, you're going to be shoe shopping in the next 10 minutes as they need some shoes for that outfit that they haven't yet bought, but know they will be getting in the future. If you're a girl and you've said this to your boyfriend...expect some wrestling!

ITS A NEW GAME AND I WANT TO SEE HOW FAR I CAN GET
Only use this if you have not been gloating that you've just completed this new game days before, and that it was soooooooo easy. This excuse will get you by for the first 2 weeks or so, but then after that you're on your own. If you then still try and say it's still new, expect disagreement, as the shoes that you ended up buying your girlfriend are also two weeks old and now are sooooooo last season and so they're not new anymore....and off you go shoe shopping again.

In conclusion, either the best ways to be able to play your games console in peace without having to justify yourself is to either live alone, live with people who too love gaming, or buy a lifetime supply of duct tape....great for gagging, tying hands up and tying people to chairs......peace at last!
Wed 09/04/03 at 10:34
Regular
"Big Pimpin'"
I find myself forever justifying why I should be allowed to go off and play games on my PC/PS2/GBA, when I know deep down I shouldn't have to. If I fancy a game of say Mortal Kombat because I want to beat the mary hell out of someone, well then by golly I'm going to do it. But what of the excuses that we make up? They're totally transparent and yet are almost as essential to game players like you and me, as control pads are to playing the things. So, you fancy a game of something, turn around to the person next to you and say, I'm just off to play 'so and so' because....

I'M NOT IN THE MOOD/CAN'T BE BOTHERED TO WATCH TV
This is a classic excuse which has to be used with extreme caution. Why? Well because you'll only be told by your other half/parents that you'll be watching a TV to play on your games console. Although this is their best argument, you need to be prepared to comeback with a witty reply that confuses them, thus giving you time to disappear off into gaming heaven. Ones to try are "No mum, it's a monitor actually" if your about to go on the PC, or "No Dad, the GBA has a reflective TFT colour LCD screen". They'll work like a charm! But f you're off to play on your PS2/X-Box/GC then try to come up with a mumble, as then whoever has tried to be clever saying you'll be watching a TV will try and work out what you've actually said. By the time they give up thinking about what they thought you said, you'll be on level 7.

I JUST WANT TO GET ONTO THE NEXT LEVEL ON THAT GAME
Another classic excuse which you'll have to be quick on the ball with because they may walk past you at two different points in time and you'll have to explain why you've gone from playing a level in a desert, to playing one under water, to now being in a car! This will only work with people who haven't played the game(s) your playing, otherwise you know you're going to be in the doghouse when they realise that that section wasn't on the level their playing when you played it.

I'M ONLY GOING TO BE 5 MINUTES
How many times have we all used this one. You live by a lie, you die by the lie. NEVER use this excuse if you're off to play Championship Manager, unless you can make the person whos complaining about how long you've been on that "thing" (as they call it) that you said 5 Hours, HOURS....not minutes! If you've ever said you'll only be 5 minutes and then actually have only taken 5 minutes, then you must have some unresolved issues. My advise...get yourself out from under that thumb!

I'M BORED
Rest in Peace. You'll only ever say this the once believe you me. If you've said this to you parents then you'll end up cleaning or tidying something, or holding your mums hand down the local supermarket. If you've said this to your girlfriend, then heaven forbid, you're going to be shoe shopping in the next 10 minutes as they need some shoes for that outfit that they haven't yet bought, but know they will be getting in the future. If you're a girl and you've said this to your boyfriend...expect some wrestling!

ITS A NEW GAME AND I WANT TO SEE HOW FAR I CAN GET
Only use this if you have not been gloating that you've just completed this new game days before, and that it was soooooooo easy. This excuse will get you by for the first 2 weeks or so, but then after that you're on your own. If you then still try and say it's still new, expect disagreement, as the shoes that you ended up buying your girlfriend are also two weeks old and now are sooooooo last season and so they're not new anymore....and off you go shoe shopping again.

In conclusion, either the best ways to be able to play your games console in peace without having to justify yourself is to either live alone, live with people who too love gaming, or buy a lifetime supply of duct tape....great for gagging, tying hands up and tying people to chairs......peace at last!
Wed 09/04/03 at 10:41
Regular
GAD win perhaps?

no.

Some interesting ideas in there, a good post. *mumble* stupid GAD1 *mumble*
Wed 09/04/03 at 11:09
Regular
"Big Pimpin'"
**Mutley style reply**

Fuzzallllwauuuzzllleeeffuuuuuzzzzaaeelll
Wed 09/04/03 at 11:39
Regular
"Going nowhere fast"
I've tried the only going to be 5 mins and I'm bored - neither worked for me :)

If I really want to play in peace I innocently ask"'are you going to the pub". If the answer is I don't have any money I have been known to dig out a £20. We have a joint account so it can't be classed as paying him to toddle off.

If I get caught when he walks in he usually grumbles "Flaming Nora (or words to that effect) - are you on that again, I thought you had school work to do". To which I swiftly reply "I've only been on about 10 mins as I spent the last 2 hours on my uni work!!". That one always works a dream as he hasn't got a clue about what I am studying or how long I study for :)

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

The coolest ISP ever!
In my opinion, the ISP is the best I have ever used. They guarantee 'first time connection - everytime', which they have never let me down on.
Wonderful...
... and so easy-to-use even for a technophobe like me. I had my website up in a couple of hours. Thank you.
Vivien

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.