GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Problems with auto-responder feature & php email form"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 28/05/07 at 13:03
Regular
"We are not alone..."
I do not understand why freeola email accounts have auto responders?, considering that the recent changes to the php mail form have made auto-responder messages pointless.

Instead of the an automated message being sent to the user who posts the message, the autoresponder message is sent to the address on the form, need I mention that due to the recent script update the reply to email address must be the same email address the form is sent to, which means that ALL auto-responding messages get sent to the form address & not the user who sends the message.

Is there a resolution to this, otherwise the auto-responder email is useless to any web-based php email submission forms.

For example a user fills in a survey, the form sends it to the specified email address,(the reply address must be the same) so when I receive the form output sent by the user, I also receive the auto-responder that should have gone to the user.

The method used to prevent spam needs to be revised. The auroresponder service adds a professional touch to a website, so if it can't be used it In effect makes the auto-responder feature almost pointless for web form submissions, where an auto-response is really required.
Tue 29/05/07 at 17:53
Staff Moderator
"Aargh! Broken..."
The requirement to have a Freeola hosted email address when sending mail from our web servers is to prevent the servers being used as a spam relay.
Although you have to have the sent from and reply to addresses the same you can easily setup your own script, which would use the mail() function twice. Once to email the form contents to you and a second time to send an auto response the the users email address, providing the user had filled out the email field.
Another user is doing this successfully now, see here.
Although they echo the auto response to screen, you could easily send that via mail instead.
Mon 28/05/07 at 13:03
Regular
"We are not alone..."
I do not understand why freeola email accounts have auto responders?, considering that the recent changes to the php mail form have made auto-responder messages pointless.

Instead of the an automated message being sent to the user who posts the message, the autoresponder message is sent to the address on the form, need I mention that due to the recent script update the reply to email address must be the same email address the form is sent to, which means that ALL auto-responding messages get sent to the form address & not the user who sends the message.

Is there a resolution to this, otherwise the auto-responder email is useless to any web-based php email submission forms.

For example a user fills in a survey, the form sends it to the specified email address,(the reply address must be the same) so when I receive the form output sent by the user, I also receive the auto-responder that should have gone to the user.

The method used to prevent spam needs to be revised. The auroresponder service adds a professional touch to a website, so if it can't be used it In effect makes the auto-responder feature almost pointless for web form submissions, where an auto-response is really required.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Brilliant service.
Love it, love it, love it!
Christopher
Everybody thinks I am an IT genius...
Nothing but admiration. I have been complimented on the church site that I manage through you and everybody thinks I am an IT genius. Your support is unquestionably outstanding.
Brian

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.