GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"[BOOK] The Time Machine by H.G Wells"

The "Retro Game Reviews" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sun 26/09/10 at 20:31
Regular
"Zebra Three 537-ONN"
[BOOK] The Time Machine by H.G Wells.

It's been a long time since I sat and read a book to be honest, but after a discussion on these forums regarding Time Travel, I happened across this book through doing some research on the subject.

At only 90 odd pages long it is certainly a case of quality over quantity, but for someone like me who finds it difficult to find the time to sit and read, it's an ideal length.

The story is about an inventer (who remains nameless throughout) who decides to try out his latest, greatest invention: a Time Machine.

He travels to the year 802,701 and comes across a race of evolved humans known as the Eloi who seem to live in a world of peace and harmony where war has been abolished and fear seems to be a feeling of the past.

However when the time traveller's machine goes missing, he soon learns of a horrible underground world occupied by a race of differently evolved humans known as the Morlocks, these are horrid, carnivorous monstrocities. However he must overcome his fear of them if he is ever to find his machine and return to his own time.

What got me about this book was just how prophetic H.G Wells actually was. In the scene where our main character is travelling through time, it is explained that he can see the world pass by as he is travelling (sort of like the intro to Futurama lol) and what H.G Wells describes is so accurate to the things we see today, and considering this book was first published in 1895, many of these things didn't even exist yet.

There is also another time travelling scene that I found very intriguing but I wont get into that as it could spoil the book for you, but needless to say it had my imagination going overtime.

This is a fascinating book from start to finish and I recommend it to anyone who even has a passing interest in science fiction.
Fri 01/10/10 at 14:41
Regular
"Monochromatic"
I remember reading it. Was it really only 90 pages?
I like the veiled warning of a society splitting in half but I felt the way it was setout clashed with the characters. The Eloi were little more than cattle yet they're supposed to be the advanced race. Didn't work for me.
Sun 26/09/10 at 20:31
Regular
"Zebra Three 537-ONN"
[BOOK] The Time Machine by H.G Wells.

It's been a long time since I sat and read a book to be honest, but after a discussion on these forums regarding Time Travel, I happened across this book through doing some research on the subject.

At only 90 odd pages long it is certainly a case of quality over quantity, but for someone like me who finds it difficult to find the time to sit and read, it's an ideal length.

The story is about an inventer (who remains nameless throughout) who decides to try out his latest, greatest invention: a Time Machine.

He travels to the year 802,701 and comes across a race of evolved humans known as the Eloi who seem to live in a world of peace and harmony where war has been abolished and fear seems to be a feeling of the past.

However when the time traveller's machine goes missing, he soon learns of a horrible underground world occupied by a race of differently evolved humans known as the Morlocks, these are horrid, carnivorous monstrocities. However he must overcome his fear of them if he is ever to find his machine and return to his own time.

What got me about this book was just how prophetic H.G Wells actually was. In the scene where our main character is travelling through time, it is explained that he can see the world pass by as he is travelling (sort of like the intro to Futurama lol) and what H.G Wells describes is so accurate to the things we see today, and considering this book was first published in 1895, many of these things didn't even exist yet.

There is also another time travelling scene that I found very intriguing but I wont get into that as it could spoil the book for you, but needless to say it had my imagination going overtime.

This is a fascinating book from start to finish and I recommend it to anyone who even has a passing interest in science fiction.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

10/10
Over the years I've become very jaded after many bad experiences with customer services, you have bucked the trend. Polite and efficient from the Freeola team, well done to all involved.
LOVE it....
You have made it so easy to build & host a website!!!
Gemma

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.