GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Xbox live"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Fri 11/04/03 at 14:20
Regular
any one use freeserve broad band, just want to see if it works or not?
Tue 22/04/03 at 13:34
Regular
scrapdealer wrote:
> robbo...I am thinking of using freeserve broadband
> did you have to use their connection pack?(£84 seems a little
> OTT)
> does your PC have to be on when using XBL?
> can you share the connection, xbox live and PC together?
>
> cheers

OK well to answer ur first question i think you can use any exsisting Broadband connection, appart from AOL. BT do a good one, also there is NTL/Cable.

two ways you can connect either xbox to modem, (this means no PC, however then you cant surf)

like me i have a PC so on windows ME i have setup ICS (internet connection Sharing, which allows the use of a network, (you will have to have a 10/100 network card installed on ur machine)

can either use a hub or direct connection, if direct, a cross over ethernet cable will be required.

with the PC method you do need the PC on as u share the connection with devices attached to the PC or network, but this does allow u to surf and play xbox live at the same time.
Tue 22/04/03 at 11:16
Regular
robbo...I am thinking of using freeserve broadband
did you have to use their connection pack?(£84 seems a little OTT)
does your PC have to be on when using XBL?
can you share the connection, xbox live and PC together?

cheers
Tue 22/04/03 at 10:48
Regular
SweeneyUK wrote:
> I used Pipex.com, they are only £23.49 per month and it works
> perfect with xbox live..no problems..Im running winXP at the moment
> but have upgarded from win98SE which i had problems with (had to
> upgrade to winME for Xbox live to work) I use a network card, ICS and
> a crossover cable...never had any problems since i changed from
> Win98SE..

well i was surprised how easy it actually worked straight away.

this is what i have

PC P3 500Mhz running Windows ME and added ICS from Windows setup, i already had the network card installed, and when rebooted it prompted to use it anyway.

I have Freeserve BroadBand with the Actiel (Green) ADSL Modem).

Using 2 RJ-45(not Crossover) and a 4 port Hub i connected the cables. (one from PC and One from Xbox to the Hub)

Loaded on the Xbox Live CD, filled in all the details required and tried connect, it configured and then i tried a game, Moto GP and Mech assult which seemed to work fine.

took me 1/2 an hour, i was impressed.

was a bit unsure about the chatting bit, had the headset on, but can hear people saying things , wasnt sure if anyone hurd me?
Thu 17/04/03 at 12:54
Regular
I used Pipex.com, they are only £23.49 per month and it works perfect with xbox live..no problems..Im running winXP at the moment but have upgarded from win98SE which i had problems with (had to upgrade to winME for Xbox live to work) I use a network card, ICS and a crossover cable...never had any problems since i changed from Win98SE..
Tue 15/04/03 at 13:16
Regular
Master J wrote:
> Ive tried Freeserve, and it works brilliantly, thats because it was
> recommended by Microsoft to use it.

You have used Freeserve Broadband? and you tried ur xbox and it worked ?

how did you connect, via a PC and the Acatel USB modem or any different?

what operating system was ur PC if you did and what setting did you have to change?

any info would be helpful
Mon 14/04/03 at 17:45
Regular
Ive tried Freeserve, and it works brilliantly, thats because it was recommended by Microsoft to use it
Fri 11/04/03 at 14:20
Regular
any one use freeserve broad band, just want to see if it works or not?

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

First Class!
I feel that your service on this occasion was absolutely first class - a model of excellence. After this, I hope to stay with Freeola for a long time!
Excellent
Excellent communication, polite and courteous staff - I was dealt with professionally. 10/10

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.