GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Tony Hawks 3 Preview/Review"

The "Sony Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 26/11/01 at 18:46
Regular
Ok heres my preview/review of the finest skater ever made
Check it out ppl!!
Heres how its better than the first 2
New Ways to Score

The revert is the biggest addition to the system, and after playing for some time, will likely be the most important move next to the manual. By tapping L2 just as you land, your character will do a 180. Do a manual during this animation and your combo will continue. This feature now allows you to string together virtually any trick whereas in the past a quarter or half pipe would end your combo. Now, it's completely different -and for the better!

Although somewhat worthless, Pivots have been added and definitely look cool, especially when stringing a couple of these together. It looks like old school freestyle skating.

Freestyle tricks have also been included -- these are actually super moves. You can assign these at will, but they'll replace your regular flip/grab/grind supers. Each one of these is different. Sproing is an interesting one and must be done on flat ground (hit the buttons while skating). The Handstand super can only be done while in the air. So you'll need to ollie and enter the command before landing. When you land you'll go into the super. Others are lip trick moves like a BS No Comply. In those cases it's more like the Burntwist or Ho Ho Ho - start pressing the buttons before hitting the lip.
These are absolutely awesome. They're so cool to watch and it makes your runs a lot more stylish. As mentioned above, put a pivot or two beforehand and it looks fantastic! There are a number of different moves to choose from here, all using the grind button to activate.

When doing a lip trick you now have a balance meter. The game keeps track of your longest manual, longest grind and longest lip trick. You can go into an invert move and try to balance yourself while holding. It's a bit tricky at first, but you'll learn to keep that Gymnast Plant going
The best part is the combos, though. You can initiate a lip trick, then do a flip trick and land back on the lip in something else. This addition gives the whole combo system more flair. Get real fancy and pull a revert out of it all and continue your combo! In addition, you can assign 8 lip tricks now -- in the last game you were limited to Up, Down, Left and Right. You can assign tricks to all the diagonals as well, thus giving you more combo opportunities! Also due to this, there's a whole set of new lip tricks that you can do including plenty of interesting inverts.

At E3, a hidden combo was shown where you can do double and triple kickflips by just tapping the button 2x or 3x. This isn't included in the version I've played, but there are other combos. For instance, when doing a 50-50, you can go into other moves by simply tapping the direction and grind.

This looks cool and is more realistic than having to ollie out of every grind to do another one. There may be others as well. I'm almost certain I saw a Noseslide and 5-0 at one point -- just haven't figured out how yet. On occasion I found myself getting other hidden combos, and as I wasn't sure exactly what I did, this leads me to believe there are predefined combo routes that can be hit for additional points.

Looks Better Than Ever - Im not joking :)

Tony Hawk 3 for the PlayStation 2 looks awesome. Let's just get that out of the way, as it really does not need to be said more than once. The skaters all look great; very detailed and true to their real life counterparts. Texture detail is excellent and the higher resolution completes the package. It all looks wonderful including large levels where virtually no popup can be found.

The character animations are astounding as well. With the frame rate jumping to an almost constant 60fps, each character has many more animations and just as many moves to boot. When holding an Airwalk you'll see the skater's feet shaking back and forth. On grinds the characters balance with both arms flailing, instead of the generic animation of the second game, and skaters will lean to the side and make an attempt to right themselves. Gamers are rewarded with one of the many different types of bail animations if their balance attempts fail. Building on the number of bails in the second game, the skaters will react differently to their environment as they fall, either bouncing off of obstacles, or dancing on a rail if the board shoots out from beneath them. With plenty of blood and the occasional nut rackage, it's safe to say that they've managed to retain the feel of pain within the gameplay.

Things are going on everywhere you look. Many times it's just cars or pedestrians, but in Canada for instance, you can skate to the corner of the level and scare a bunch of birds to make them fly away. Get too close to some punks on the street and they'll kindly remind you to get some skills and request you do something at least mildly entertaining. I suggest just knocking them over, but if they do happen to witness a sick move, you'll be rewarded an extra multiplayier.

If reading this hasnt made you feel like you wanna rush out and uy this then trust me. Even if you despise skatebaodrin u gotta buy this game!!!
Mon 26/11/01 at 20:36
Quite possibly, Psychology Horse like oaks and hay.

Yes oaks, not oats.

Anyone watch Sesame street with alarming regularity?
Mon 26/11/01 at 20:27
Regular
it got 96% in PSM2 but dont get that now

"Psychology Horse" LOL

any relation to my mountain goat that eats corn flakes for breakfast?
Mon 26/11/01 at 20:19
Regular
"Bah"
Hehe well its some class inof and i thought i would tell you all, and ive seen demos etc.Dont get me wrong it still is a blinding game
:P
Mon 26/11/01 at 19:37
MrMatrix wrote:
> Comes out on 30th in england erm let me think E3 and import?

You fithly liar! You weren't at E3! Import? Yeah right!

You've just thieved this info and glued it together as your own work!

Nice :-)
Mon 26/11/01 at 19:22
Regular
"You Bum!!"
MrMatrix wrote:
> P.S it comes out on the 30th so reserve your copy now!!

Just about to do that
Mon 26/11/01 at 18:57
Regular
how do you know all this?
Mon 26/11/01 at 18:55
Regular
"Bah"
Comes out on 30th in england erm let me think E3 and import?
Mon 26/11/01 at 18:54
Regular
MrMatrix wrote:

So how come you've already played it?
Mon 26/11/01 at 18:51
Regular
"Whatever!"
MrMatrix wrote:

Thats this friday!! Awesome - This is going to be the best thing ever!!
Mon 26/11/01 at 18:48
Regular
"Bah"
P.S it comes out on the 30th so reserve your copy now!!

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Thanks!
Thank you for dealing with this so promptly it's nice having a service provider that offers a good service, rare to find nowadays.
Just a quick note to say thanks for a very good service ... in fact excellent service..
I am very happy with your customer service and speed and quality of my broadband connection .. keep up the good work . and a good new year to all of you at freeola.
Matthew Bradley

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.