GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
".htaccess file does not work"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sat 26/05/07 at 09:12
Regular
Hello

I am trying to set up an SEO module on an online store for a customer but it does not work giving a '404 page not found' error message when an item in store is selected.

I am assuming that i do not have permission to run the script...

It uses 5 simple rewrite rules, (I have not published the script here because of security implications).

However, i can send the script to FREEOLA tech support if they can help in any way.

I have another online store site hosted with Freeola with the script functioning correctly!

Also i cannot view my uploaded .htaccess file.

Mark Bowles
Cornweb
Tue 06/04/10 at 19:00
"Are you sure?"
Puniksem™ wrote:

> Update information:
> .htacess is supported

Wow! This is an old thread you've woken up. :¬)

As Digi, mentioned back in May 2007 .htaccess has always worked. You just have to have your FTP client setup correctly to 'see' the file...

There was a period when some FTP client's were having trouble displaying hidden files, but this was soon resolved by Freeola.

[s]Hmmm...[/s]
Tue 06/04/10 at 18:22
Regular
"We are not alone..."
glidem wrote:
> htaccess isn't supported I believe.

Update information:

.htacess is supported

Go to filter options in your ftp software (CuteFTP / Filezilla) and add adjust filter option to 'enable filtering and add -a to the filter parameters. then all files like .htaccess will show in your folders.
Tue 05/06/07 at 16:19
Regular
Hello again

I am still having the same problems with the .htaccess file.

The pages do not seem to get redirected to the correct URL and end up with 404 page not found.

Can you send me your sample .htaccess file so that I can try it and see for myself if the mod_rewrite is switched on or not.

Thank you
Mark Bowles
Cornweb
Mon 04/06/07 at 12:13
"Are you sure?"
You're right in saying that you should use .htaccess files with caution, especially if you aren't familiar with them.

but you can delete and rename 'hidden files' as long as you've got your FTP client configured correctly to display 'hidden files'.

See my reply to your other post for more details...
Mon 04/06/07 at 11:36
Regular
"We are not alone..."
I have the same issue where once uploaded I cannot view or delete either .htaccess or .htpasswd files, the server does clearly support the use of both files, but alas once uploaded there is not further manipulation of the files.

Also note that once you have uploaded . files you will not be able to delete the folder at a later date. you will encounter folder not empty error message.

If you're thinking of securing your site with . files think carefully where you're going to place the .htaccess files, most ftp clients Filezilla - Cuteftp can be configured to show hidden .files, however .files are not displayed by default.

Update information:

Go to filter options in your ftp software (CuteFTP / Filezilla) and add adjust filter option to 'enable filtering and add -a to the filter parameters. then all files like .htaccess will show in your folders.
Sun 03/06/07 at 18:10
Regular
Hi there

Many thanks. I can see that it is working now.

Just need to install the additional files and modify the links as you say.

Mark Bowles
Cornweb
-------------------------------------------------------
Tue 29/05/07 at 18:32
Staff Moderator
"Aargh! Broken..."
I have uploaded a .htaccess file to your htdocs folder so that inputting http://www.glass-designs.co.uk/Coasters.html or similar now works correctly.
At the moment all you menu links are hard coded to you will see links similar to ccp51/cgi-bin/cp-app.cgi?pg=cat&ref=Jewellery if you click on any links.
If you would like to send me the code you are using then you can email webmaster at freeola.co.uk and I will take a look.
We do not support the use of .htaccess files but you are welcome to give them a try.
Sun 27/05/07 at 16:14
Regular
Hello again

I have now tried different .htaccess scripts and none of them have any effect on the site, so i am convinced that .htaccess is not supported or enabled on the site.

Can someone from tech support confirm this please.

The site is http://www.glass-designs.co.uk and it is hosted on server 1.

I really need to get this issue resolved now.

Thank you
Mark Bowles
Cornweb
Sun 27/05/07 at 10:57
Regular
Hello

I will place a ticket on the system for help.

Mark Bowles
Cornweb
Sun 27/05/07 at 09:25
Staff
In general we do not provide advice on any individual scripts other than our own provided ones.

The reason your .htaccess file is not visible is that Unix servers do not show any files beginning with .

If you place a ticket via the support system, any queries placed will be looked at, but we cannot guarantee to resolve them unless they relate to our own scripts.

I also believe that for security purposes, we do not offer access to the rewrite facility, though I would have to check with systems to say with certainty.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

I've been with Freeola for 14 years...
I've been with Freeola for 14 years now, and in that time you have proven time and time again to be a top-ranking internet service provider and unbeatable hosting service. Thank you.
Anthony
My website looks tremendous!
Fantastic site, easy to follow, simple guides... impressed with whole package. My website looks tremendous. You don't need to be a rocket scientist to set this up, Freeola helps you step-by-step.
Susan

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.