GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"I did something terrible this weekend!"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 26/11/01 at 15:02
Regular
Ok, so maybe not considered terrible by everyone but certainly by any ninty's. Since i got my SNES all them years ago i have been an avid nintendo supporter. When the playstation came onto the market i turned my cheek and waited for the N64. I was not going to touch anything but nintendo! On saturday, all that changed forever.....

I decided, after reading many posts from a certain well known man who goes by the name of Grix Thraves, that maybe a dreamcast was possibly worth the money considering how cheap they were. I also was influenced by 3 other factors...

1 - Shemnue 2 which i keep hearing is excellent

2 - Skies of Arcadia - no idea what this is but sheer curiosity, dispite killing my cat, has got the better of me (Grix's fault again)

3 - My local game has millions of preowned games for about £7 each. Sega Rally may not be the worlds greatest but for £7 i don't think i can go far wrong!

I decided that i wasn't going to pay £80 or whatever for a dreamcast with no games so i looked through the paper. Then it happened.... my life changed forever.

Halfway down one of the colums was an advert for a Sony Playstation with 16 games + memory card for (get this) £45. Now, i never ever planned to get a playstation but with 16 games at that price there was no way i could resist. I rang to check what the games were thinking that maybe it would be that CD of 20 games or whatever it is. Instead i was told they included:
THPS2, MGS, Driver, colin Mcrae 2, cool boarders 4, toca, toca 2, jedi battles (i think its called that), duke nukem time to kill....... the list went on.

Half an hour later, i had got the guy's address and had picked up a nice new addition to my console collection. I got it home and yes, everything worked.

That was saturday....as of today, i have only actually got round to playing 2 games. Dispite being an avid ninty till the weekend, i have to say i felt as if i had been missing out on a few worthwhile gaming experiences. The games i have been playing are a really nice change to what i have been used to. I still think nintendo is an excellent machine. I have had many an enjoyable 'drunken evening' with the lads playing 'vodka goldeneye' but you can have too much of a good thing.

The first game i put on was Driver. So its maybe a bit dated now but i still think its damn good fun. I had never played it before and this was therefore a new and enjoyable experience for me. It was something not offered by nintendo. I was enjoying so much infact that i didn't try another game till last night and even then it was just because i fancied the change, not because i am now bored of driver and will never play it again.

Last night it was MGS's turn. Again, not exactly revolutionary but hell, this is one of the best games i have played. There is no point comparing it to the likes of Perfect dark or goldeneye because it aint that sort of game. Maybe Rainbow 6 in birds eye view but thats still not the point. The point is that this console has shown me new areas of gaming i never knew!

Last week, if someone had started a console war, i would have been like GAYSTATION sucks etc simply because thats how i felt. I had this image that all playstsion games were like spiro the dragon (which ain't my kinda game) and were poop. I didn't really know what i was talking about. Now that i have a playstation, i do know. I know that each console offers different areas of gaming. I know that there are some damn good games out there for each console.

To be honest, i think there are loads of differences between consoles made by the same people. I think the SNES and the N64 are incredibly different. I mean, the most addictive game i have ever played is definately Marion cart on the SNES. I spent hours and hours week in, week out on that game. I raced each cup time and time again. I still do. Same with games like Donkey Kong on the SNES. I loved all three titles and have finished all three. When it came to the N64 version it was a completely different game. In my opinion not as addictive but still, never the less not a bad game by any means!

I'm not really sure why i put this lot in post.....you probably all sitting there thinking "is there a point to this rubbish or is he just rambling on?". Well to be honest there is no real point except that i learned this weekend that sometimes, we may be a little blind to the fact that we might be missing out on something unless we have experienced it first to make our minds up!

Cheers for reading.
All comments (although not sure what a comment would be for the post) are welcome.

--Luke

-- Oh and if the english/spelling makes no sense i apologise....gotta run for a lecture now so no time to check!
Mon 26/11/01 at 15:02
Regular
"Not your monkey"
Ok, so maybe not considered terrible by everyone but certainly by any ninty's. Since i got my SNES all them years ago i have been an avid nintendo supporter. When the playstation came onto the market i turned my cheek and waited for the N64. I was not going to touch anything but nintendo! On saturday, all that changed forever.....

I decided, after reading many posts from a certain well known man who goes by the name of Grix Thraves, that maybe a dreamcast was possibly worth the money considering how cheap they were. I also was influenced by 3 other factors...

1 - Shemnue 2 which i keep hearing is excellent

2 - Skies of Arcadia - no idea what this is but sheer curiosity, dispite killing my cat, has got the better of me (Grix's fault again)

3 - My local game has millions of preowned games for about £7 each. Sega Rally may not be the worlds greatest but for £7 i don't think i can go far wrong!

I decided that i wasn't going to pay £80 or whatever for a dreamcast with no games so i looked through the paper. Then it happened.... my life changed forever.

Halfway down one of the colums was an advert for a Sony Playstation with 16 games + memory card for (get this) £45. Now, i never ever planned to get a playstation but with 16 games at that price there was no way i could resist. I rang to check what the games were thinking that maybe it would be that CD of 20 games or whatever it is. Instead i was told they included:
THPS2, MGS, Driver, colin Mcrae 2, cool boarders 4, toca, toca 2, jedi battles (i think its called that), duke nukem time to kill....... the list went on.

Half an hour later, i had got the guy's address and had picked up a nice new addition to my console collection. I got it home and yes, everything worked.

That was saturday....as of today, i have only actually got round to playing 2 games. Dispite being an avid ninty till the weekend, i have to say i felt as if i had been missing out on a few worthwhile gaming experiences. The games i have been playing are a really nice change to what i have been used to. I still think nintendo is an excellent machine. I have had many an enjoyable 'drunken evening' with the lads playing 'vodka goldeneye' but you can have too much of a good thing.

The first game i put on was Driver. So its maybe a bit dated now but i still think its damn good fun. I had never played it before and this was therefore a new and enjoyable experience for me. It was something not offered by nintendo. I was enjoying so much infact that i didn't try another game till last night and even then it was just because i fancied the change, not because i am now bored of driver and will never play it again.

Last night it was MGS's turn. Again, not exactly revolutionary but hell, this is one of the best games i have played. There is no point comparing it to the likes of Perfect dark or goldeneye because it aint that sort of game. Maybe Rainbow 6 in birds eye view but thats still not the point. The point is that this console has shown me new areas of gaming i never knew!

Last week, if someone had started a console war, i would have been like GAYSTATION sucks etc simply because thats how i felt. I had this image that all playstsion games were like spiro the dragon (which ain't my kinda game) and were poop. I didn't really know what i was talking about. Now that i have a playstation, i do know. I know that each console offers different areas of gaming. I know that there are some damn good games out there for each console.

To be honest, i think there are loads of differences between consoles made by the same people. I think the SNES and the N64 are incredibly different. I mean, the most addictive game i have ever played is definately Marion cart on the SNES. I spent hours and hours week in, week out on that game. I raced each cup time and time again. I still do. Same with games like Donkey Kong on the SNES. I loved all three titles and have finished all three. When it came to the N64 version it was a completely different game. In my opinion not as addictive but still, never the less not a bad game by any means!

I'm not really sure why i put this lot in post.....you probably all sitting there thinking "is there a point to this rubbish or is he just rambling on?". Well to be honest there is no real point except that i learned this weekend that sometimes, we may be a little blind to the fact that we might be missing out on something unless we have experienced it first to make our minds up!

Cheers for reading.
All comments (although not sure what a comment would be for the post) are welcome.

--Luke

-- Oh and if the english/spelling makes no sense i apologise....gotta run for a lecture now so no time to check!
Mon 26/11/01 at 15:09
Regular
"Copyright: FM Inc."
Lucky you, Driver and MGS are worth £45 on their own. Just wait until you try TOCA 2 though. One of the best racers of all time on any platform.

You get 1 point for pole position, 15 points for a win, and once you've done it on the hardest setting you'll be getting close to unlocking everything there is in the game.

But then, you've got the arcade section to beat as well...

I have to say that I've spent more time on TOCA 2 and MGS than any other game in history.
Mon 26/11/01 at 17:58
Gangsta Hamsta wrote:
> we might be missing out on something unless we have
> experienced it first to make our minds up!

This is true about so many things in life, I already have a PS, but am thinking of getting a DC... there are so many games on it that I want to play, but alas, christmas looms, must save pennies :(
Mon 26/11/01 at 18:04
Regular
"Fishing For Reddies"
I wasn't too sure about getting a PlayStation 2, but I got it, and it's fine...

Need more games though... PES still hasn't arrived! Damn Royal Mail!

Anyhoo....

Buy GameCube...

Game
Mon 26/11/01 at 22:43
Regular
"Jags is teh l33t"
actually, well done for getting a DC

Its probably a good console and is worth it for the price.

Keep it and sell it for alot of money in the far future when the world is controlled by apes...

wait, it already is!
Tue 27/11/01 at 10:11
Regular
"Not your monkey"
Lord Semajal wrote:
> actually, well done for getting a DC

I think i mislead you there! I was originally looking throught the paper for a DC but found the PS instead.

The DC is yet to come......
Tue 27/11/01 at 10:22
Regular
Make sure you still get a DC though.

There are loads of fantastic games about, and lots of shops are selling the games and peripherals off cheap at the moment. But you have to be qucik, some of the better games are starting to sell out....
Tue 27/11/01 at 13:19
"possibly impossible"
I would really recommend a second hand DC if you can get hold of one. They are the bees knees (despite the zooalogical idiocy of that last statement) and it's worth experiencing all the wonderful Sega games that won't make it to other consoles in this form.

It's the reason I've still got a Saturn, if only for Nights, Daytona and Guardian Heroes. Ah, those were the days. Now all I need is a bigger house and industrial electricity supply for all my consoles...
Tue 27/11/01 at 15:04
Regular
"Not your monkey"
FantasyMeister wrote:
...have to say that I've spent more time on TOCA 2 .... than any other game in history.

Hmmmmm...seems as though i shall have to give that one a try then!

Oh well....there goes my evening!!
Tue 27/11/01 at 15:24
Regular
"Copyright: FM Inc."
Say 'Hi' to Alain Menu for me when you spin him off the track :)

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Very pleased
Very pleased with the help given by your staff. They explained technical details in an easy way and were patient when providing information to a non expert like me.
Wonderful...
... and so easy-to-use even for a technophobe like me. I had my website up in a couple of hours. Thank you.
Vivien

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.