GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"The Best Years of Your Life - How've They Been For You?"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Fri 07/07/06 at 01:24
Regular
Since the dawn of man, old people constantly told young people that they're in the middle of the 'best years of their lives'.
No responsibilities + no 'serious' adult problems = Best time of your life.

To be honest, I'm not so much thinking childhood - it may have been reasonably fun at the time, but 'going to play' at friends' houses doesn't hold much appeal now, and crucially, you have very little personal or financial freedom.

However, sixth form and uni - you have a bit of money, you can do 'adult' things like drink and go to clubs. You have fewer responsibilities than the old-timers. You gain new-found freedom, and aren't yet tied down by families or mortgages.

Having finished uni, I think I wasted it.

In the first couple of years I played quite hard - played a lot of basketball, went out quite a lot. Didn't do too much in the days, and slept quite a lot. I think my first year bed may have been the most comfortable I ever had (though that's not saying much).
I played a lot of pool too.

However, going out wasn't great. I got swept along with the culture of drinking well beyond the nice point of being comfortably fuzzy (although I only drank heavily roughly once a week), was often a bit bored with the night-out crowd, and didn't pull enough.

Basketball and pool were fun, but didn't exactly set my soul on fire.

In my third year I contracted a serious case of academia, worked extremely hard for a year, and pulled off a decent grade. Cut back heavily on the going out, basketball, pool, and general 'good times'.

In hindsight, it seems a little bland for the 'best years of your life'.

At the moment I'm looking for my first career-shaped job. I'm wondering whether I'll be able to have a better time than I did at uni. I won't have so much free time (as I did in the first two years at least), and will have to go easy on the late nights before work.
But I'll have much more money than at uni, and hopefully pretty quickly a car, which = more freedom.

Whether I'll be able to get more out of my social life remains to be seen, there won't be the ready-made societies and their automatic social groups but I think I should manage pretty well.

Is it too late to pursue the good times I was promised I'd have in uni?

How've 'the best years of your life' been for you?
Fri 07/07/06 at 01:24
Regular
Since the dawn of man, old people constantly told young people that they're in the middle of the 'best years of their lives'.
No responsibilities + no 'serious' adult problems = Best time of your life.

To be honest, I'm not so much thinking childhood - it may have been reasonably fun at the time, but 'going to play' at friends' houses doesn't hold much appeal now, and crucially, you have very little personal or financial freedom.

However, sixth form and uni - you have a bit of money, you can do 'adult' things like drink and go to clubs. You have fewer responsibilities than the old-timers. You gain new-found freedom, and aren't yet tied down by families or mortgages.

Having finished uni, I think I wasted it.

In the first couple of years I played quite hard - played a lot of basketball, went out quite a lot. Didn't do too much in the days, and slept quite a lot. I think my first year bed may have been the most comfortable I ever had (though that's not saying much).
I played a lot of pool too.

However, going out wasn't great. I got swept along with the culture of drinking well beyond the nice point of being comfortably fuzzy (although I only drank heavily roughly once a week), was often a bit bored with the night-out crowd, and didn't pull enough.

Basketball and pool were fun, but didn't exactly set my soul on fire.

In my third year I contracted a serious case of academia, worked extremely hard for a year, and pulled off a decent grade. Cut back heavily on the going out, basketball, pool, and general 'good times'.

In hindsight, it seems a little bland for the 'best years of your life'.

At the moment I'm looking for my first career-shaped job. I'm wondering whether I'll be able to have a better time than I did at uni. I won't have so much free time (as I did in the first two years at least), and will have to go easy on the late nights before work.
But I'll have much more money than at uni, and hopefully pretty quickly a car, which = more freedom.

Whether I'll be able to get more out of my social life remains to be seen, there won't be the ready-made societies and their automatic social groups but I think I should manage pretty well.

Is it too late to pursue the good times I was promised I'd have in uni?

How've 'the best years of your life' been for you?
Fri 07/07/06 at 01:37
Regular
"Mooching around"
I've just finished secondary school, and have yet to have my prom. I have had no good years :P
Fri 07/07/06 at 01:52
Regular
"The definitive tag"
Well, I've yet to experience uni as I've still got another year of 6th form to get through first, but I guess I could say the so called "best years" have been pretty good.

Take this past year for example. When I left school, I was a quiet lad. I never went out and got drunk or really did anything serious. Mine and my mates idea of fun was going out and skateboarding or biking all day. In June 2005, I went to the Download music festival. It was definitely a culture shock. I got totally wasted for the first time in my life, three nights in a row. It turned out to be a life changing experience. Only one mate joined me there that weekend, everyone else had cold feet or couldn't afford it.

We came back, and people saw an immediate change in me. I stopped being so quiet, and we found out that we could have such a great time with the aid of beer. The summer holiday last year was awesome. The drunken days out, gigs, and just hanging with mates was awesome.

Then I started 6th form last September. Within a couple of weeks, we ended up doing our first night on the town. Since then, I've been out every Friday night bar about two. I've drank heavily for every single one as well. I've made so many new friends, in college and on drunken nights out, and I guess you could say I've come out of my shell. It's been a fantastic year and I've enjoyed it immensely.

What's surprised me, is that I'm not bored of any of it. I still get a buzz on a Friday morning when I think to myself "tonight, I'm going to go and have a cracking time with my mates".

It's had it's negative effects as well. I've become awfully lazy and perhaps not as soft towards people as I once was.

Anyway, Download festival 2006 rolled around just under a month ago and it felt like a year of...for lack of a better term - progression, had come full circle. It's been a year of incredible, brilliant, unbelievable fun.

Life before it was good and I was happy and content with where I was, but the bar's been raised and I'm having an awesome time.

I'm determind to make the best of my drunken lout years while I still have them. I don't want to look back and think "I wish I'd gone out more and had fun".

(If that reads like a pretentious load of old nonsense, then my apologies. I'm knackered).
Fri 07/07/06 at 18:40
Regular
Cruciatum Fixative wrote:
> I've just finished secondary school, and have yet to have my
> prom. I have had no good years :P

Lol prom. Those things would never work in England.
Fri 07/07/06 at 19:25
Regular
"Peace Respect Punk"
Frankly, my time in Sixth Forms were great at times. Although they didn't seem all that amazing at the time, they still seemed fun. But looking back now, I realise how great they were. Very little in the way of financial responsibilities, going out with mates all the time, barbeques, underage drinking (well, until we turned 18 anyway...), smoking weed, and just generally having a laugh. I remember skipping a few lessons and heading down the pub, and spending Wednesday afternoons, when we were supposed to be in Games lessons, down the beach sipping beers or cider. I also remember the pub we generally started our drinking sessions in being the local of my maths teacher, who I saw down there quite regularly.

There was also the girls, although I had relatively few girlfriends compared to some of my mates, but there was always the vague excitement of what would (or wouldn't) happen with this or that girl... It was never less than interesting. One of my best mates had tons of girlfriends, so it was always interesting going out with him, something was always going on in his personal life that we inevitably heard about.

At Uni, things have been different. It's like starting school again in that at first you don't know anyone. You soon meet people, but I found myself not homesick, just missing the company of certain mates, because although I had mates at Uni, none knew me as well as those at home, and even now, the end of my second year, there's still no-one (apart from possibly my girlfriend) who I think knows me as well as mates from home. It's always great coming back in the holidays and just going for a few drinks. Today I ended up on the train at about mid-day, my mate trying to blag a free ride as he was out of money, sipping from a bottle of White Star, then heading to another mates, going to the playground nearby for a kick about, and getting another bottle of cider and a bunch of beers. It was great fun, and everyone knows each other well enough that we can just have a laugh, no fear of offending anyone or anyone feeling excluded or anything like that.

I guess it's just the people you grow up with. You spend so much time hanging out with them, talking, joking, having a laugh... It just seems natural that they're there, and when they're not it can be a bit strange.
Sat 08/07/06 at 01:22
Regular
"Mooching around"
Alfonse wrote:
> Cruciatum Fixative wrote:
> I've just finished secondary school, and have yet to have my
> prom. I have had no good years :P
>
> Lol prom. Those things would never work in England.

Heh heh, well apparenty they've been quite succesful so far in the UK, so im hoping for the same
Thu 13/07/06 at 12:29
Regular
College was alright for me, had a few (for want of a better word) mental problems that I had to sort out which marred it a bit. Have been travelling in Australia and Asia for the last year, that was pretty awesome. Don't know if you can really ever evaluate how good a time you're having over a whole year, or series of years - you have good days and bad days, good hours and bad hours even.
Sun 16/07/06 at 16:47
Regular
When I was about 14 a teacher told us that we should make the most of school life because these were the best years we would ever have. I was horrified- I hated school and was desperate to finish - so I decided that I would not allow it to happen that life would get steadily less enjoyable.

I went to 6th form college for A'levels and had a good time, then I went to Uni and had an amazing time. When I finished uni I worried that perhaps now I had had the best years and that things would get worse, but my new boyfriend promised me that we wouldn't let that happen.

Now I'm married to the boyfriend and we have a new little boy. I can safely say that school does not have to be the best years of your life, things have changed, but overall they've got better, and at 30 I still look forward to the future.
Sun 16/07/06 at 21:21
Regular
"The definitive tag"
Anyone who says school days are the best of your life is talking nonsense. I've enjoyed life significantly more since I left that place.
Sun 16/07/06 at 21:43
Regular
"Mooching around"
Wow, I mean no offence, but I thought you were a 21 year old man Dr Jo.

I do often wonder how I come to these precise conclusions...

Anyway, congratulations for your child and marriage :-)

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Very pleased
Very pleased with the help given by your staff. They explained technical details in an easy way and were patient when providing information to a non expert like me.
Best Provider
The best provider I know of, never a problem, recommend highly
Paul

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.