GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Nintendo make massive profits."

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 14/04/03 at 14:38
Regular
Nintendo Fanboys read it a weep the true facts regarding Nintendo financial situation. Face it your first party software just doesn't cut the mustard.

Nintendo revised their earnings expectations for the 2002 fiscal year today, the yearlong period ending March 31. The news was not at all good to investors: the company cut its profit expectations to 66 billion yen ($547 million), a 38 percent drop from the 80 billion yen ($663 million) they were expecting to make.

The chief cause of this profit drop was the same issue that's been plaguing Nintendo's Kyoto headquarters for the past year—GameCube console sales aren't making their grade. The company said that 5.6 million Cubes were sold in 2002, a far cry from their previous sales target of 10 million, and software sales fell about 10 million units below their 55-million-unit goal. Global affairs didn't help Nintendo, either: the company lost an estimated 23 billion yen stemming from the yen's high value against the dollar during 2002.

At a press conference in Osaka, Japan, Nintendo senior managing director Yoshihiro Mori was up front with his company's missteps. "Hardware and software sales for the GameCube, our main product, did not produce the numbers we had planned for," he said. "The Game Boy Advance, on the other hand, exceeded our expectations, but we are revising our figures now because overall sales fell below plan."

Mori made note of the success of the PlayStation 2, and the Grand Theft Auto series in particular, as the chief culprit of their problems. "GTA sold overwhelmingly across the world during this fiscal year," he commented. "I think the fact that Nintendo released new Mario and Metroid games that were both overshadowed by GTA was the primary factor" behind the earnings revision.

In response to the reduced earnings, Nintendo announced changes in its game development strategy, including the reconsideration of game difficulty and play time. One major side effect of this—the company will place even greater emphasis on games that use the GameCube-GBA link cable. According to Mori, several link-compatible games will be shown at the Electronic Entertainment Expo next month.

This earnings news comes hot on the heels of a Japanese report that Capcom will port Resident Evil to multiple platforms instead of keeping new, non-offshoot titles in the series exclusive to the GameCube. The report, which Capcom promptly denied, sent the publisher's stock up to 1208 yen on the Tokyo Stock Exchange, a rise of 20 percent since Friday.

Mon 14/04/03 at 14:38
Regular
Nintendo Fanboys read it a weep the true facts regarding Nintendo financial situation. Face it your first party software just doesn't cut the mustard.

Nintendo revised their earnings expectations for the 2002 fiscal year today, the yearlong period ending March 31. The news was not at all good to investors: the company cut its profit expectations to 66 billion yen ($547 million), a 38 percent drop from the 80 billion yen ($663 million) they were expecting to make.

The chief cause of this profit drop was the same issue that's been plaguing Nintendo's Kyoto headquarters for the past year—GameCube console sales aren't making their grade. The company said that 5.6 million Cubes were sold in 2002, a far cry from their previous sales target of 10 million, and software sales fell about 10 million units below their 55-million-unit goal. Global affairs didn't help Nintendo, either: the company lost an estimated 23 billion yen stemming from the yen's high value against the dollar during 2002.

At a press conference in Osaka, Japan, Nintendo senior managing director Yoshihiro Mori was up front with his company's missteps. "Hardware and software sales for the GameCube, our main product, did not produce the numbers we had planned for," he said. "The Game Boy Advance, on the other hand, exceeded our expectations, but we are revising our figures now because overall sales fell below plan."

Mori made note of the success of the PlayStation 2, and the Grand Theft Auto series in particular, as the chief culprit of their problems. "GTA sold overwhelmingly across the world during this fiscal year," he commented. "I think the fact that Nintendo released new Mario and Metroid games that were both overshadowed by GTA was the primary factor" behind the earnings revision.

In response to the reduced earnings, Nintendo announced changes in its game development strategy, including the reconsideration of game difficulty and play time. One major side effect of this—the company will place even greater emphasis on games that use the GameCube-GBA link cable. According to Mori, several link-compatible games will be shown at the Electronic Entertainment Expo next month.

This earnings news comes hot on the heels of a Japanese report that Capcom will port Resident Evil to multiple platforms instead of keeping new, non-offshoot titles in the series exclusive to the GameCube. The report, which Capcom promptly denied, sent the publisher's stock up to 1208 yen on the Tokyo Stock Exchange, a rise of 20 percent since Friday.

Mon 14/04/03 at 14:39
Regular
"QPR 1974"
Píss Off
Mon 14/04/03 at 14:41
Regular
"sweats salad dressi"
Oh no I will go crying to mamma in the den now.

I'm so broken.:-|
Mon 14/04/03 at 14:42
Regular
"Jog on, sunshine"
Yet another pointless and fanboy-esque topic from Top Score.

Still, you are improving, well, with spelling anyway. Let's move onto level two:

"The cat sat on the mat".

Now you try...
Mon 14/04/03 at 14:46
Regular
"A man with a stick"
Top score wrote:
> "I think the fact that Nintendo
> released new Mario and Metroid games that were both overshadowed by
> GTA was the primary factor"

Hehe, GTA: Vice City overshadow Mario and Metroid indeed, just where do you find time to make up this stuff it's hilarious.
Mon 14/04/03 at 14:47
Regular
"Sex On Wheels"
Oh come on, who cares? No one can argue about the facts but how does nintendos profits effect you personally? I mean seriously if you prefer the console and games why care if another company sold a few thousands more consoles this month compared to that console a month before etc etc blah blah. All this crud about being a "fanboy" a "ninty" or whatever is just a bunch of crap. I want an X-Box more than I want a Gamecube but I prefer Nintendo immensly to Microsoft. I just prefer the games available on X-Box. Top Score may have posted the facts but what's the point getting all edgy about it? Just say "That's nice...I don't care but good for you" or something equally patronising and sarcastic. Don't bother getting into a fight about something that doesn't even directly effect you.
Mon 14/04/03 at 14:51
Regular
"Not your monkey"
Hows ya dad's Lexus?
Mon 14/04/03 at 14:53
Regular
"Sex On Wheels"
Who you taking to Hammy?
Mon 14/04/03 at 14:54
Regular
Yea, but the Zelda game will turn it around.........and don't forget the GBA link cable - thats 2 things!

Ninty fan:- bury head in sand and hope for best.
Mon 14/04/03 at 14:56
Regular
The trouble with Ninty fanboys is they all live in their own little world cocooned from the real world that everyone else lives in.

It is like a religion that they have been brainwashed into and the name of there god is a plumber called Mario, who was probably around when christ was alive.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Many thanks!
You were 100% right - great support!
Many thanks!!
Registered my website with Freeola Sites on Tuesday. Now have full and comprehensive Google coverage for my site. Great stuff!!
John Shepherd

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.