GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Nintendo make massive profits."

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 14/04/03 at 14:38
Regular
Nintendo Fanboys read it a weep the true facts regarding Nintendo financial situation. Face it your first party software just doesn't cut the mustard.

Nintendo revised their earnings expectations for the 2002 fiscal year today, the yearlong period ending March 31. The news was not at all good to investors: the company cut its profit expectations to 66 billion yen ($547 million), a 38 percent drop from the 80 billion yen ($663 million) they were expecting to make.

The chief cause of this profit drop was the same issue that's been plaguing Nintendo's Kyoto headquarters for the past year—GameCube console sales aren't making their grade. The company said that 5.6 million Cubes were sold in 2002, a far cry from their previous sales target of 10 million, and software sales fell about 10 million units below their 55-million-unit goal. Global affairs didn't help Nintendo, either: the company lost an estimated 23 billion yen stemming from the yen's high value against the dollar during 2002.

At a press conference in Osaka, Japan, Nintendo senior managing director Yoshihiro Mori was up front with his company's missteps. "Hardware and software sales for the GameCube, our main product, did not produce the numbers we had planned for," he said. "The Game Boy Advance, on the other hand, exceeded our expectations, but we are revising our figures now because overall sales fell below plan."

Mori made note of the success of the PlayStation 2, and the Grand Theft Auto series in particular, as the chief culprit of their problems. "GTA sold overwhelmingly across the world during this fiscal year," he commented. "I think the fact that Nintendo released new Mario and Metroid games that were both overshadowed by GTA was the primary factor" behind the earnings revision.

In response to the reduced earnings, Nintendo announced changes in its game development strategy, including the reconsideration of game difficulty and play time. One major side effect of this—the company will place even greater emphasis on games that use the GameCube-GBA link cable. According to Mori, several link-compatible games will be shown at the Electronic Entertainment Expo next month.

This earnings news comes hot on the heels of a Japanese report that Capcom will port Resident Evil to multiple platforms instead of keeping new, non-offshoot titles in the series exclusive to the GameCube. The report, which Capcom promptly denied, sent the publisher's stock up to 1208 yen on the Tokyo Stock Exchange, a rise of 20 percent since Friday.

Tue 15/04/03 at 17:29
Regular
Stop replying to his f***ing topics for christ's sakes.
Tue 15/04/03 at 16:14
Regular
"gsybe you!"
Then take this:

GTA:VC average rating = 10/10. BUT, read most of the reviews. 'Get to kill and its wicked cos you can go anywhere'

Metroid Prime = 10/10 - Because it pushes boundaries, actualy updates a classic francise perfectly in 3D, introduces the fact that you don't need 30 ridiculous OTT levels and guns to create a classic game.
Tue 15/04/03 at 16:06
Regular
"Peace Respect Punk"
Top score wrote:
> Funny that because with Metroid Prime, Mario and Zelda all enjoyed
> good pre-order sales where are they now in the Charts the answer is
> they only managed 1 week in the top spot hardly a success as I have
> said all along Nintendo need to start developing games that people
> want to play in this Millenium not the last., the gamers of today have
> moved on and want to play games like GTA VC and the Getaway not Mario
> and Zelda and the proof is there for all to see.

Based on that argument ('the gamers of today', I particularly like that bit...) then you could say that crap like Gareth Gates and S Club 7 are obviously what the 'music fans of today' want. Most popular does not equal best. Oh, and another point. Tastes vary. Incase you haven't noticed you aren't the only gamer. Just because you believe GTA to be the best thing on the planet doesn't mean everyone else does.

And the 'gamers of today' obviously do want to play stuff like Mario, Zelda and Metroid as can be seen by the vast majority of reviews these games have recieved. Look at what the critics say. If that's not enough check the SR database of reviews and see what other 'gamers of today' think. What's that...? Mario Sunshine has an average rating of 9/10 from over 100 SR reviews...? And Metroid Prime has an average of 10/10 from over 30 reviews...? How odd...
Tue 15/04/03 at 13:30
Regular
"A man with a stick"
Top score wrote:
> My girlfriend is now 20 so you got that wrong and she loves being
> driven around in my Lexus.

Ho ho, keep them coming Top Score these are funny as hell. 20 year old girlfriend indeed, and I'm not quite sure that a soap box car really constitutes as a real car even if it has the word "LExEs" painted on front of it.

> The closest you will ever get to driving
> one is on the Getaway.

Gosh I'm so jealous, some complete nobody on an internet chat forum says he has a car that I don't, how can I compete with that? Cretin, I have no car and have no intention of buying one in the near future so I can say that I couldn't care less how close I get to driving a ponce mobile like a Lexus.
Tue 15/04/03 at 12:48
Regular
I'm including American and Japanese sales
I remember calculating the percentage of copies sold from the number of consoles,
And I meant Mario, not Metroid, I don't know how I did that twice, althought the percentage may have decreased since Novemberish
And anyway...

*Runs*
Tue 15/04/03 at 12:43
Regular
"Look!!! Changed!!!1"
maddmun wrote:
> 80% of GC owners own Metroid Prime, compared to about 40% of PS2
> owners owning GTA.
> Therefore, if they had been released at he same time, selling just as
> many units, Metroid Prime would have sold a lot more (Twice as
> much).

What? If there is the same number of GCs and PS2s sold yes. But that's not the case.
Tue 15/04/03 at 12:35
Regular
maddmun wrote:

>
> 80% of GC owners own Metroid Prime,

As a Gamecube owner, and someone who owns a copy of metroid prime, I get the distinct feeling this was made up! Say weve had 6 million gamecube sales. And metroids been out how long? a few weeks that would mean it would be selling a few million copies a week.
Tue 15/04/03 at 12:29
Regular
Top score wrote:
> Syphonical wrote:
> Oh, and,( i don't know if this has been said), but nintendo is the
> only company actually making a profit from there hardware, sony and
> microsoft are losing money, attempting to buy up every developer
> under
> the sun...
>
>
> P.s..You can keep Rockstar, their games are stail(and they suck!)
>
> Funny that because with Metroid Prime, Mario and Zelda all enjoyed
> good pre-order sales where are they now in the Charts the answer is
> they only managed 1 week in the top spot hardly a success as I have
> said all along Nintendo need to start developing games that people
> want to play in this Millenium not the last., the gamers of today have
> moved on and want to play games like GTA VC and the Getaway not Mario
> and Zelda and the proof is there for all to see.

The only reason they sell more is because the PS2 sold millions of units before ther GC and X-Box were released.

80% of GC owners own Metroid Prime, compared to about 40% of PS2 owners owning GTA.
Therefore, if they had been released at he same time, selling just as many units, Metroid Prime would have sold a lot more (Twice as much).

Oh, and the reason Ninty games are only at the top spot for one week is because everybody buys the games in the first week, so they are sold out almost everywhere else....
Tue 15/04/03 at 12:27
Regular
"Look!!! Changed!!!1"
I own a Gamecube and have enjoyed, in the past few months, Mario Sunshine, Metroid, SMB2, and Zelda. I own a PS2 and have enjoyed, in the past few months, GTA3 and Pro Evo 2. I own an XBOX and have enjoyed, in the past few months, Splinter Cell, Ghost Recon and Shenmue 2 (again).

Consoles have never been cheaper, take advantage of that.
Tue 15/04/03 at 12:17
Regular
"He's back"
Yes top score....Now it is time for your rest.....

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Excellent
Excellent communication, polite and courteous staff - I was dealt with professionally. 10/10
Just a quick note to say thanks for a very good service ... in fact excellent service..
I am very happy with your customer service and speed and quality of my broadband connection .. keep up the good work . and a good new year to all of you at freeola.
Matthew Bradley

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.