GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Is Windows XP worth the money?"

The "Xbox Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sun 25/11/01 at 20:03
Regular
Just wondering if you think XP is worth the money as i'm thinking of upgrading ME to XP what advantages has upgrading got.

What makes it diferent than XP?
Mon 03/12/01 at 23:19
more to the point how do i get rid of it?
i only have one hd and installed xp on it no-one told me that dos was disabled and now i can't format my hd at all help this o,s, is to unstable guess that is our old fiend windows nt back again =)
Mon 03/12/01 at 22:38
It definately is a damn good opperating system m8, just used it on my nu AMD 1800xp system, and even though I only have an ATA33 HDD, there was excellent speed and loading files was almost instant, its gr8 for games and runs Q3 on a pci Voodoo3 3000 nigh on flawlessly. I dont know about if its worth the money, a fried Installed it on my computer for me as its part of his company network :)

If you can afford it, its a hell of a lot of weight off your shoulders, if you haven't got money to use as batter for your cod, don't worry about it too much, it'll come down in price (whatever happened to Microsoft's £80 a year contract idea? Or was that just a thought?), anyhows, something to be a little cautious about, it wont install on my older comp's second or third empty primary partition, it seems to think that the HDD doesn't exist.. wierd eh? Hope I haven't lost you geezer. GL in your windows quest :)
Fri 30/11/01 at 23:34
i beleive xp is wicked however i am also able to upgrade my ME system to xp but am not going to do so until a few months. the reason being is that Microsoft is not giving their source code out to developers and so most non-microsoft products aren't working. my friend has it and i know. however i am giving it a few months then when this conflict is sorted out i beleive that is the correct time to install xp.
Thu 29/11/01 at 02:26
Regular
"Tag as above"
I'm pretty pleased with XP too, after soring a few OPENGL problems its all running sweetly.

So far I havent had a crash, and if you used to Windows 2000, you find your way round it with ease.

Pro has some plus points, one being the remote desktop feature, which allows you to connect to your PC remotely. It works on the same basis as terminal server, so you don't get slow screens like on most remote desktop products which send an image of the screen every second or so, its all generated localy, so you can use it over a dial up.

If like me your connect permenent like, and have a good connection at work, you can get to your PC from there.

It has some very useful features, loads of media ones, take a look at the microsoft site to find out more.
Wed 28/11/01 at 22:55
"High polygon count"
Where to begin...!!!

I recently upgraded to XP from ME, using the XP Home Upgrade Edition.

Was it worth it? Absolutely, 100% yes in my opinion, and I usually have a strong dislike of Windows.

XP is faster, more stable (so far, at least), and better looking than any previous Windows.

And it's more intelligent.

Usually, after installing Windows, you have to install the extra drivers for your graphics & sound card, printer, modem and anything else.

Not so with XP.

After installing it, the only drivers I had to install were some XP-specific drivers for my modem and some XP TWAIN drivers for my Epson scanner. Everything else - graphics, sound, printer, videocapture card, Ethernet card and cable modem - worked first time after the post-install reboot.

Also, if you have a CD-writer, you'll find that it's supported directly from within Windows XP, allowing you to use it almost like a floppy drive. It's not as versatile as the custom software that comes with the CD-writers, but it's damn usefui.

There have been people with problems - a friend had soundcard problems - but most of these are caused by older hardware; if your PC is fairly new (purchased in the last year or two) then you should have very few problems.

Other people may have their own horror stories, but from my own experience, I'd thoroughly recommend upgrading.
Sun 25/11/01 at 20:03
Just wondering if you think XP is worth the money as i'm thinking of upgrading ME to XP what advantages has upgrading got.

What makes it diferent than XP?

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

10/10
Over the years I've become very jaded after many bad experiences with customer services, you have bucked the trend. Polite and efficient from the Freeola team, well done to all involved.
Wonderful...
... and so easy-to-use even for a technophobe like me. I had my website up in a couple of hours. Thank you.
Vivien

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.