GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"[GAME] Burnout Revenge"

The "Retro Game Reviews" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

This thread has been linked to the game 'Burnout Revenge'.
Thu 23/09/10 at 12:23
Regular
"Anyone but that one"
Whilst many of you are enjoying the latest offerings in the burnout range in all their next gen glory on the 360 you have probably already forgotten about the earlier titles and have laid your copy of revenge on a dusty old shelf or packed it away with your trusty old ninty and other consoles from by-gone eras but before burnout revenge is lost in time let's give it a full 21 gun salute, or should it be 21 finger?

True enough you could be forgiven for being drawn to the lustful temptations of the next gen consoles and it's safe to say Burnout Revenge is getting on a bit, at least in game years. However there is still lots of fun to be had from Burnout Revenge and there's no denying that it's a very aesthetically pleasing game, even compared to the next gen standards of today it's still enough to make you drool over the TV like a crazed donkey. On one hand you have the bustling city streets which sing to you at night with the sound of crunching metal and screeching tires as you slam into insane crash junctions and on the other hand you also have the picturesque mountain scenes with death defying leaps of faith into the unwitting motorists below causing nothing but mindless destruction.

If I were a betting man it would be a fairly safe bet to say that if any of you have bought Burnout Revenge, or any other game in the series, that you have probably bought it just for the crash events alone so there's no point in living in denial, it's ok, give into your lust for utter carnage. Because let's face it who wouldn't want to scream down the street and smash into that little old lady in her red car that always holds everyone up on your way to work or into those stupid, smelly, thoughtless buses that cut across you without warning? It's a very gratifying feeling that never gets old and with around 40 crash events to plough and smash your way through its certainly enough to keep your cravings at bay and hopefully, confined to the safety of your console, sorry Grandma you'll have to save your frozen chicken for another day!

Whilst the 40 crash events should keep you amused for a good while it is still less than half the crash events featured in the previous title and later on as you progress up the ranks it's unfortunately let down by some repetitive events as you will notice some of the later crash events are very similar to earlier events, only just a little more difficult and sadly this will wear thin after a while because as a Burnout fan i'd have expected them to become even more absurd and twisted the higher you progress, but as they say, beggars cant be choosers. The cheering will also probably make you cringe with every explosion after a few rounds, it would have been nice to have an option to turn this of so you can listen to the symphony of crunching metal and burning rubber.

Crash events aside Burnout Revenge also boasts other events for you to get your teeth stuck into if, god forbid, you get bored of the crash events which truth be told, you probably will. One of my particular favourites is road rage, in which you simply have to take out as many opponents as you can in the allotted time or until you are totalled. There are no shortage of devious ways in which you can take out your opponents, whether you choose to be tactical and use other unwitting motorists to your advantage to take them out or use sheer brute force you wont be spoilt for choice. One of the things that sets this game apart from other racing games is the ability to smash pretty much everything except large vehicles, oncoming traffic and solid objects out of the way, a feature which is actually new to Burnout Revenge. Unfortunately though once you start unlocking some of the faster cars you will loose a sense of achievement as it will become quite easy to rack up big scores in road rage events using a combination of boosting and traffic checking it will quickly loose the novelty value.

Traffic Checking is as I mentioned a new feature to Burnout Revenge which actually has it's own game mode, known as “Traffic Attack” which will see you ploughing through traffic smashing into as many other vehicles as you can whilst avoiding oncoming traffic and large vehicles but with a little skill you'll soon be knocking those out of the way using checkable traffic which in every game mode can be used to your advantage in multiple ways, just mind the pot holes dear. Traffic Attack is fun for a while but soon gets boring when you have to do some events over because you didn't check enough traffic but in all honesty checkable traffic does take some of the skill out of takedowns and some of the other challenges.

In each type of event your main goal is to earn medals, either bronze, silver or gold either for achieving the target times in burning lap, takedowns, winning races or just by causing as much destruction as you can with one car. In certain events you will also have certain challenges to achieve such as signature takedowns in which you'll have to take out your opponent in a certain location but sadly you don't get a nice picture of your takedown to hang on your wall but you do get special trophies for achieving certain types of takedowns or targets which you can admire or polish obsessively, which I must say are very pleasing to receive and not just some trashy thrown together trophy with your name spelt wrong. Ok so they're not personalized but it's still a pretty nice feature and will give you some sense of achievement which is unfortunately a rare commodity in this game.

You can't help get the feeling that Burnout Revenge caters for the lazy gamer, given the multitude of ways you can win and make your opponents eat some nice, tasty wall. Especially as there are no difficulty settings for the more experienced or hardcore fans who want a bit more of a challenge but all that said the lifespan of the game is pretty good and will keep you entertained on rainy days but if you want to be able to play online you'll have to buy Revenge on the 360 as the online servers for Burnout Revenge were closed a few years ago but they are still available on the 360 which will no doubt give you hours more fun and the chance to unleash your skills on other unsuspecting players.

If like me, the thought of mindless destruction and carnage appeals to you then you will love Burnout Revenge because despite some minor let downs it is still a massively entertaining and all round great game which will keep you coming back for more, at least until you haul your controller at your tv in frustration. If however you are a concerned parent wondering whether this type of game is suitable for your child, as an adult myself I can say in my opinion it's perfectly fine, as there's no bad language, raunchy scenes or adult themes just a pile of twisted metal and good harmless fun although if your child is any younger than 7 or 8 they may find it a little hard otherwise it is certainly going to be a popular hit. That is if they can pry the controller out of your hands.

The Verdict

Burnout Revenge is nothing short of a work of art either that or the result of a sick, twisted mind probably a bit of both because who else could think up something as insane as Burnout? If you don't have Burnout Revenge then it's well worth digging out your old Xbox for as it will keep you glued to your xbox for hours, at the expense of your thumbs and perhaps a new telly. I can safely say that i've thoroughly enjoyed playing this game despite a few minor niggles and mandatory game crashes and i'm sure you will too. Considering buying it? Don't hesitate as its well worth a few quid and easily competes with the next gen games of today and wont leave you feeling like your playing an archaic PC game.

In the words of Borat “It's a naiz” a well earned 8/10
Fri 01/10/10 at 19:52
Regular
"Anyone but that one"
My first try at GAD after coming back, I'd say this is a pretty sweet welcome back pressie, cheers guys!
Thu 23/09/10 at 16:36
Regular
"I like turtles"
Top game and nice review :)
Thu 23/09/10 at 14:23
Regular
"How Ironic"
Great review :) Hopefully we'll see some more from you :)
Thu 23/09/10 at 12:23
Regular
"Anyone but that one"
Whilst many of you are enjoying the latest offerings in the burnout range in all their next gen glory on the 360 you have probably already forgotten about the earlier titles and have laid your copy of revenge on a dusty old shelf or packed it away with your trusty old ninty and other consoles from by-gone eras but before burnout revenge is lost in time let's give it a full 21 gun salute, or should it be 21 finger?

True enough you could be forgiven for being drawn to the lustful temptations of the next gen consoles and it's safe to say Burnout Revenge is getting on a bit, at least in game years. However there is still lots of fun to be had from Burnout Revenge and there's no denying that it's a very aesthetically pleasing game, even compared to the next gen standards of today it's still enough to make you drool over the TV like a crazed donkey. On one hand you have the bustling city streets which sing to you at night with the sound of crunching metal and screeching tires as you slam into insane crash junctions and on the other hand you also have the picturesque mountain scenes with death defying leaps of faith into the unwitting motorists below causing nothing but mindless destruction.

If I were a betting man it would be a fairly safe bet to say that if any of you have bought Burnout Revenge, or any other game in the series, that you have probably bought it just for the crash events alone so there's no point in living in denial, it's ok, give into your lust for utter carnage. Because let's face it who wouldn't want to scream down the street and smash into that little old lady in her red car that always holds everyone up on your way to work or into those stupid, smelly, thoughtless buses that cut across you without warning? It's a very gratifying feeling that never gets old and with around 40 crash events to plough and smash your way through its certainly enough to keep your cravings at bay and hopefully, confined to the safety of your console, sorry Grandma you'll have to save your frozen chicken for another day!

Whilst the 40 crash events should keep you amused for a good while it is still less than half the crash events featured in the previous title and later on as you progress up the ranks it's unfortunately let down by some repetitive events as you will notice some of the later crash events are very similar to earlier events, only just a little more difficult and sadly this will wear thin after a while because as a Burnout fan i'd have expected them to become even more absurd and twisted the higher you progress, but as they say, beggars cant be choosers. The cheering will also probably make you cringe with every explosion after a few rounds, it would have been nice to have an option to turn this of so you can listen to the symphony of crunching metal and burning rubber.

Crash events aside Burnout Revenge also boasts other events for you to get your teeth stuck into if, god forbid, you get bored of the crash events which truth be told, you probably will. One of my particular favourites is road rage, in which you simply have to take out as many opponents as you can in the allotted time or until you are totalled. There are no shortage of devious ways in which you can take out your opponents, whether you choose to be tactical and use other unwitting motorists to your advantage to take them out or use sheer brute force you wont be spoilt for choice. One of the things that sets this game apart from other racing games is the ability to smash pretty much everything except large vehicles, oncoming traffic and solid objects out of the way, a feature which is actually new to Burnout Revenge. Unfortunately though once you start unlocking some of the faster cars you will loose a sense of achievement as it will become quite easy to rack up big scores in road rage events using a combination of boosting and traffic checking it will quickly loose the novelty value.

Traffic Checking is as I mentioned a new feature to Burnout Revenge which actually has it's own game mode, known as “Traffic Attack” which will see you ploughing through traffic smashing into as many other vehicles as you can whilst avoiding oncoming traffic and large vehicles but with a little skill you'll soon be knocking those out of the way using checkable traffic which in every game mode can be used to your advantage in multiple ways, just mind the pot holes dear. Traffic Attack is fun for a while but soon gets boring when you have to do some events over because you didn't check enough traffic but in all honesty checkable traffic does take some of the skill out of takedowns and some of the other challenges.

In each type of event your main goal is to earn medals, either bronze, silver or gold either for achieving the target times in burning lap, takedowns, winning races or just by causing as much destruction as you can with one car. In certain events you will also have certain challenges to achieve such as signature takedowns in which you'll have to take out your opponent in a certain location but sadly you don't get a nice picture of your takedown to hang on your wall but you do get special trophies for achieving certain types of takedowns or targets which you can admire or polish obsessively, which I must say are very pleasing to receive and not just some trashy thrown together trophy with your name spelt wrong. Ok so they're not personalized but it's still a pretty nice feature and will give you some sense of achievement which is unfortunately a rare commodity in this game.

You can't help get the feeling that Burnout Revenge caters for the lazy gamer, given the multitude of ways you can win and make your opponents eat some nice, tasty wall. Especially as there are no difficulty settings for the more experienced or hardcore fans who want a bit more of a challenge but all that said the lifespan of the game is pretty good and will keep you entertained on rainy days but if you want to be able to play online you'll have to buy Revenge on the 360 as the online servers for Burnout Revenge were closed a few years ago but they are still available on the 360 which will no doubt give you hours more fun and the chance to unleash your skills on other unsuspecting players.

If like me, the thought of mindless destruction and carnage appeals to you then you will love Burnout Revenge because despite some minor let downs it is still a massively entertaining and all round great game which will keep you coming back for more, at least until you haul your controller at your tv in frustration. If however you are a concerned parent wondering whether this type of game is suitable for your child, as an adult myself I can say in my opinion it's perfectly fine, as there's no bad language, raunchy scenes or adult themes just a pile of twisted metal and good harmless fun although if your child is any younger than 7 or 8 they may find it a little hard otherwise it is certainly going to be a popular hit. That is if they can pry the controller out of your hands.

The Verdict

Burnout Revenge is nothing short of a work of art either that or the result of a sick, twisted mind probably a bit of both because who else could think up something as insane as Burnout? If you don't have Burnout Revenge then it's well worth digging out your old Xbox for as it will keep you glued to your xbox for hours, at the expense of your thumbs and perhaps a new telly. I can safely say that i've thoroughly enjoyed playing this game despite a few minor niggles and mandatory game crashes and i'm sure you will too. Considering buying it? Don't hesitate as its well worth a few quid and easily competes with the next gen games of today and wont leave you feeling like your playing an archaic PC game.

In the words of Borat “It's a naiz” a well earned 8/10

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

First Class!
I feel that your service on this occasion was absolutely first class - a model of excellence. After this, I hope to stay with Freeola for a long time!
Second to none...
So far the services you provide are second to none. Keep up the good work.
Andy

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.