GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Killzone: Liberation (PSP)"

The "Retro Game Reviews" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

This thread has been linked to the game 'Killzone: Liberation'.
Wed 23/05/07 at 22:55
Regular
"Captain to you."
When I first heard that Killzone was going to be put on the PSP I have to say it wasn't something that I was bothered about at all, I had heard of Killzone on the Playstation 2 console but nothing good.

A few months went by and then some screenshots and a video popped up on IGN's website, the first thing I thought was this looks like a serious and pretty version of Cannon Fodder (An old Amiga classic) and I started to get a bit excited about it.

I have been rather slow in picking this one up, mostly as I was waiting for the Online Multiplayer to be added, which should happen sometime later this week.

The game is played from a top down point of view and graphically is very nice, there is a good level of detail to the surroundings and the design of the levels works well on a portable system.

Audio wise the game isn't quite up to my personal preference as it features some fairly basic sound effects and doesn't really use the audio to it's advantage too well, never really making you feel like you are taking part in a war like operation.

Saves in the game are few and fair between which I like but there are checkpoints so if you mess up you will only have to go back to the last one you passed through, as the game is quite linear there isn't a whole lot of option when picking a path so you won't miss a checkpoint by bad luck.

The length of the missions aren't too portable friendly though as often they will run over 20 minutes and although this is fine for longer journeys in a car or on a train, short trips will probably mean turning your psp in to standby or pausing it, which i personally don't like doing. Obviously this will completely depend on how long you travel for and when you use your PSP.

The controls to the game are pretty simple and there is a lock-on function to firing so you only have to hold a button and aim in their rough direction to “lock-on” meaning that missing will only happen if you don't time your shots right for when they pop up from behind cover or move in to sight.

This is very much a shooter, you will spend most of your time running around throwing grenades and blasting some guy backwards with your gun. This is made all the better by the ragdoll effects in the game which is quite a leap for a PSP game to my knowledge and makes it pretty satisfying when you see them fly through the air after a well placed grenade.

There is a lot of taking cover when you are moving around a level as your character isn't the normal kind where you can take hundreds of bullets and still be fine, you are pretty much an equal match to most of the enemies, your only advantage is that you aren't controlled by the some what stupid computer. You know to run quickly from grenades and to hide when reloading. Although the computer tries to do this it's not very fast at it and so tends to die easily.

That being said this isn't an easy game by any means, you will need to watch your ammo for reloading and running out completely and pick up extra equipment and health packs from drop boxes and creates that are scattered around the maps.

The multiplayer is what I am really looking forward to as it seems like such a nice change from other games and will be down to quick thinking and out manoeuvring other players. There will be tracked scores and your profile will gain awards and unlocks as you play more.

This is defiantly a game worth checking out if you can as it's different from all the other shooters on the PSP and it has a feel of old school gameplay to it.

A demo of the game can be found in this thread : PSP demos
There have been no replies to this thread yet.
Wed 23/05/07 at 22:55
Regular
"Captain to you."
When I first heard that Killzone was going to be put on the PSP I have to say it wasn't something that I was bothered about at all, I had heard of Killzone on the Playstation 2 console but nothing good.

A few months went by and then some screenshots and a video popped up on IGN's website, the first thing I thought was this looks like a serious and pretty version of Cannon Fodder (An old Amiga classic) and I started to get a bit excited about it.

I have been rather slow in picking this one up, mostly as I was waiting for the Online Multiplayer to be added, which should happen sometime later this week.

The game is played from a top down point of view and graphically is very nice, there is a good level of detail to the surroundings and the design of the levels works well on a portable system.

Audio wise the game isn't quite up to my personal preference as it features some fairly basic sound effects and doesn't really use the audio to it's advantage too well, never really making you feel like you are taking part in a war like operation.

Saves in the game are few and fair between which I like but there are checkpoints so if you mess up you will only have to go back to the last one you passed through, as the game is quite linear there isn't a whole lot of option when picking a path so you won't miss a checkpoint by bad luck.

The length of the missions aren't too portable friendly though as often they will run over 20 minutes and although this is fine for longer journeys in a car or on a train, short trips will probably mean turning your psp in to standby or pausing it, which i personally don't like doing. Obviously this will completely depend on how long you travel for and when you use your PSP.

The controls to the game are pretty simple and there is a lock-on function to firing so you only have to hold a button and aim in their rough direction to “lock-on” meaning that missing will only happen if you don't time your shots right for when they pop up from behind cover or move in to sight.

This is very much a shooter, you will spend most of your time running around throwing grenades and blasting some guy backwards with your gun. This is made all the better by the ragdoll effects in the game which is quite a leap for a PSP game to my knowledge and makes it pretty satisfying when you see them fly through the air after a well placed grenade.

There is a lot of taking cover when you are moving around a level as your character isn't the normal kind where you can take hundreds of bullets and still be fine, you are pretty much an equal match to most of the enemies, your only advantage is that you aren't controlled by the some what stupid computer. You know to run quickly from grenades and to hide when reloading. Although the computer tries to do this it's not very fast at it and so tends to die easily.

That being said this isn't an easy game by any means, you will need to watch your ammo for reloading and running out completely and pick up extra equipment and health packs from drop boxes and creates that are scattered around the maps.

The multiplayer is what I am really looking forward to as it seems like such a nice change from other games and will be down to quick thinking and out manoeuvring other players. There will be tracked scores and your profile will gain awards and unlocks as you play more.

This is defiantly a game worth checking out if you can as it's different from all the other shooters on the PSP and it has a feel of old school gameplay to it.

A demo of the game can be found in this thread : PSP demos

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

The coolest ISP ever!
In my opinion, the ISP is the best I have ever used. They guarantee 'first time connection - everytime', which they have never let me down on.
Second to none...
So far the services you provide are second to none. Keep up the good work.
Andy

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.