GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Mobile Phones"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sun 25/11/01 at 16:45
Regular
Mobile phones, once they were an accessory for the rich, high power businessmen out there, but now the are an essential for life. Almost everyone has one, from the young to the old, and from the poor to the rich. Most people don’t even need one, they just have it so they can fit in with the rest of the population. I mean why does a 7-year-old need his or her own, personal phone. But other people do need them, for closing business deals, keeping in contact with people, when they’re not home much, and others need them incase of emergency.

The technology has really moved on since when I was young, we used to have to make do with two yogurt pots attached together by a piece of string. It wasn’t much, we didn’t get many long distance calls, but man did we have good reception. The ring tones were free, we just made them up as we went along, plus we had unlimited changeable covers. Every time we wanted a new look for our phones, we just eat another yogurt. But now, there are hundreds of styles of mobiles, each boasting different extras and qualities. We have Nokia’s which are some of the most popular phones, each coming packed full of games, ringtones and more. There’s also Motorola, Sony, Ericcson and many more to name but a few. Some even come with WAP capabilities, which is mobile Internet. Although it’s not quite as advanced as the Internet you may be used to, it’s still a handy tool, for when your out and about. WAP is mainly text, with a few basic pictures and a big range of Internet games. You can also visit a number of different online stores, imagine ordering a PS2 during your maths lessen.

Of course I am yet to mention one of the biggest features of mobile phones, Text messaging. Just type a message, click a button, and of it goes to the recepitant, where ever they are, in this country or another.

Now my mobile may not be as cool as the other side of the pillow, but its got everything I want, and then some. I have a Nokia 3210, which although is a good phone, is not the latest model of phone, So its not everyone’s favourite.

I’m not quite sure exactly how mobiles became so popular and such an essential in today’s modern life. But whatever the reason, it happened fast, that’s for sure. So what do you think? Why are they so big, so popular and so essential?

Do you have a mobile?
If so, Why? If not, Why not?

I have mine, so I can reach people when im out, and they can reach me. we also ownly have one phone line in my house, so if anyones on the internet, people cant get through, so theres another reasen. Its also a great thing to take with you, its got every thing you need, calculator, for solving lifes problems (ok well, lifes maths peoblems), phone book, to quickly and easily orgenise my numbers, and games, of course im talking about the classic, snake.

But having games on my mobile does anoy me at times, for 2 reasens:

1. your about to get your top score, the phone rings and the game pauses, then when you start the game you forget where you were and what you were doing. so you mess up, and lose your score.

2. People always going 'can I play snake, can I play snake???, whats your top score, I bet I can beat it, can I play snake?????' which is just so annoying. besides, know one could beat my top score, 1786, thanks you very much!

Thanks for Reading, now please disscus
CDouch
Sun 25/11/01 at 16:45
Regular
"Vote For Pedro"
Mobile phones, once they were an accessory for the rich, high power businessmen out there, but now the are an essential for life. Almost everyone has one, from the young to the old, and from the poor to the rich. Most people don’t even need one, they just have it so they can fit in with the rest of the population. I mean why does a 7-year-old need his or her own, personal phone. But other people do need them, for closing business deals, keeping in contact with people, when they’re not home much, and others need them incase of emergency.

The technology has really moved on since when I was young, we used to have to make do with two yogurt pots attached together by a piece of string. It wasn’t much, we didn’t get many long distance calls, but man did we have good reception. The ring tones were free, we just made them up as we went along, plus we had unlimited changeable covers. Every time we wanted a new look for our phones, we just eat another yogurt. But now, there are hundreds of styles of mobiles, each boasting different extras and qualities. We have Nokia’s which are some of the most popular phones, each coming packed full of games, ringtones and more. There’s also Motorola, Sony, Ericcson and many more to name but a few. Some even come with WAP capabilities, which is mobile Internet. Although it’s not quite as advanced as the Internet you may be used to, it’s still a handy tool, for when your out and about. WAP is mainly text, with a few basic pictures and a big range of Internet games. You can also visit a number of different online stores, imagine ordering a PS2 during your maths lessen.

Of course I am yet to mention one of the biggest features of mobile phones, Text messaging. Just type a message, click a button, and of it goes to the recepitant, where ever they are, in this country or another.

Now my mobile may not be as cool as the other side of the pillow, but its got everything I want, and then some. I have a Nokia 3210, which although is a good phone, is not the latest model of phone, So its not everyone’s favourite.

I’m not quite sure exactly how mobiles became so popular and such an essential in today’s modern life. But whatever the reason, it happened fast, that’s for sure. So what do you think? Why are they so big, so popular and so essential?

Do you have a mobile?
If so, Why? If not, Why not?

I have mine, so I can reach people when im out, and they can reach me. we also ownly have one phone line in my house, so if anyones on the internet, people cant get through, so theres another reasen. Its also a great thing to take with you, its got every thing you need, calculator, for solving lifes problems (ok well, lifes maths peoblems), phone book, to quickly and easily orgenise my numbers, and games, of course im talking about the classic, snake.

But having games on my mobile does anoy me at times, for 2 reasens:

1. your about to get your top score, the phone rings and the game pauses, then when you start the game you forget where you were and what you were doing. so you mess up, and lose your score.

2. People always going 'can I play snake, can I play snake???, whats your top score, I bet I can beat it, can I play snake?????' which is just so annoying. besides, know one could beat my top score, 1786, thanks you very much!

Thanks for Reading, now please disscus
CDouch
Sun 25/11/01 at 16:58
Regular
QBasic, the tool of Gods, makes a triumphant return to normal life once more.

Let me explain.

QBasic was a crappy little dos tool for making basic programs in DOS. There were a few demo games with it.

Firstly, Nibbles. You moved a line around the screen, picking up numbers, and once you got to ten, you went to the next level. However, with every number you picked up, it made you bigger, making the game harder and harder as you neared the end. Two player was good fun.

Or of course, Snake.

Then, there was Gorillas, best game in the world. Two gorillas face eachother in the final showdown, by throwing explosive bananas at each other. You type in the angle that you will throw it at, and the power. Then the banana is throw. You of course have to take into account wind too...

Or, Bananas, on the Sony phones.

This, of course, is good. We're bringing back simplistic gaming to the graphics age. Just a quick laugh while you're on the bus, or something.

Just make sure you turn the sound off. I have a small problem with throwing phones out of windows.
Sun 25/11/01 at 21:41
Regular
"Peace Respect Punk"
yeah, I had an old version of a snake game on a crappy old console that came free when my dad got a LaserDisc player when we lived in Indonesia. A laserDisc is basically a DVD, but about the size of an old record!

The game was 2 player only, each of you with a snake, but the tail didn't follow you, basically you were constantly growing so you would just extend to get bigger and bigger. The aim wasn't to get dots or 'food' but just to trap the other player and stay alive yourself! It was pretty fun (for about 10 minutes anyway)
Sun 25/11/01 at 22:44
Regular
"May Contain Nuts"
Grix Thraves wrote:
Firstly, Nibbles. You
> moved a line around the screen, picking up numbers, and once you got to ten, you
> went to the next level. However, with every number you picked up, it made you
> bigger, making the game harder and harder as you neared the end. Two player was
> good fun.

Then, there was Gorillas, best game in the
> world. Two gorillas face eachother in the final showdown, by throwing explosive
> bananas at each other. You type in the angle that you will throw it at, and the
> power. Then the banana is throw. You of course have to take into account wind
> too...

I remember these two games well, the where classics! We had them on the 086 DOS! The other great game I had on the 086 DOS was The first Donkey Kong game (knog) oh then there was Captain Comic! *Sigh* Those were the days when games where games!
Sun 25/11/01 at 23:09
Regular
"Infantalised Forums"
I hate mobile phones.
I don't mean I dislike them, I mean I physically want to smash them whenever I see them.
They're a recent phenomena, I remember until a few years ago, life carried on as usual without them.
So why are they everywhere you look now?

For decades, business' ran and lives rolled on without the need to have your own little phone.
I have to have one, for the simple fact I spend a lot of my time driving to gigs and I need to be able to reach my boys if there's a problem.
However, when I'm not in the car?
It stays off.
When I'm at home,it stays off.
When I'm anywhere but broken down by the roadside, it stays off.

Detestable little things. And nobody has a ring that sounds like a phone anymore, it's tunes or that irritating morse-code beep thing...*seethe*
They're a fashion thing now,I've seen kids at school with them.
Kids with mobile phones.
Great.

Do people really think they're that important that they have to be contacted at any given point of the day?
I don't think so,stop being so egomaniacal and turn the bloody thing off.
I think today's society is screwed.
Nobody has any time to slow down and stop.
It's phones with net-access, phones with pagers, phones with text-messages.
You can work from home via email, send faxes whilst on the train on the way to work....Does nobody value their free-time enough to just switch off and do something without being contacted?

Bah
Mon 26/11/01 at 16:13
Regular
"Vote For Pedro"
it annoys me when you are walking around a shop, and you hear, 'ive just picked up some cheese, now im going round the corner and up the other side to pick up some eggs and bacon' its like every thing has a comentry these days. I like a comentry at sport events and on dvd's but not when im trying to shop.
Mon 26/11/01 at 16:41
Regular
"I love Dave music"
I read a newspaper article a few weeks ago about the mobile phone craze in Japan. Apparently it is worse than here (can't see how) and kids are suffering because of it. People are texting each other for no apparent reason but to get a response. They need to feel wanted, and if they don't get text messages often enough they begin to feel neglected and unwanted. Apparently it is a really serious problem out there. Anyone else heard that, or am I just making all this up?

As for my mobile phone - I have a lovely Sony, can't tell you what model, the little flip one. I did have an Ericsson T28 but the flip broke. Therefore I have never had the joys of playing snake on my phone. The T28 had tetris and solitaire (don't ask) and the Sony has.....wait for it.......deep sea fishing and clay pigeon shooting...oh yes!!!

I like my mobile, it lets me phone home for free (after line rental) from uni, so its worth it for that. But I do hate txt msgs. People seem to send them just to make you spend more money by having to reply. Its all a big conspiracy I tell you, they're gonna kill us all, AHHHH!!

Sorry. I'm gonna go now.
Mon 26/11/01 at 18:15
I am the only person in the known GB with the traditional British Ring! muhhahahahahahahha
*why are you still reading....*

Why?
Mon 26/11/01 at 18:20
Regular
I have a mobile phone, have had one for the last two years, since I started University.

Why?

Because I was over the other side of the country, and in our hoalls of residence, there were 70 people, and 1 payphone. Yup, 1 phone between 70. Nice.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Excellent support service!
I have always found the support staff to provide an excellent service on every occasion I've called.
Ben
I've been with Freeola for 14 years...
I've been with Freeola for 14 years now, and in that time you have proven time and time again to be a top-ranking internet service provider and unbeatable hosting service. Thank you.
Anthony

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.