GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"UK Offline"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sun 25/11/01 at 12:57
Regular
The current Government has had some stupid ideas but this one takes the biscuit, UK Online.
Mr. Blair has done some silly things (marrying cherie probably being the most alcohol-fuelled of them all) but getting the whole of the UK Online. WTF!
Problem 1. Not everyone has a PC. Mr. Blair claims he give certain family's a discount on the cost of there PC. In actuallity, he will give some familys free PC's. So how is that fair? It isn't. My dad paid good money for our PC 4 years ago, but now some pauper asylum seeker gets one free! I see double standards at work. Okay, so now they've got their shiny new PC and are laughing in my face, they go on the Internet. But they aren't allowed a job by Government for a few months so they have no money. And when Mr. phone bill falls through Mr. letter box, they can't pay. So once again, the Government bails 'em out. And do they appreciate it, do they hell.
Problem 2. Not everyone wants the Intenet and are forced into having it. Free country, no longer it would seem.
Problem 3. PC's are too technical for some. Mention that you've just got a shiny new P4 2000ghz, 100GB hard drive and 256 MB RDRAM and the majority of the population would just look at you as though you'd just escaped from an institution. Simple thing's such as links would be mis-interpreted as something to do with Anne Robinson. Why? The general population is IT-illiterate. It's so true. And no amount of Government funded courses can change that. My cousin went on one and she can now turn on a PC, WOW.
And then there's the Fraud, Piracy and Hackers to worry about. Does Mr. Blair know what he's doing. Maybe he should crawl out of Mr. Bush.
I'll answer Q's on the topic tommorow at about 10:30 (if it's still here), because I've gotta go now.
uksgamer2002
Mon 26/11/01 at 13:14
Regular
"Luck from Heaven"
Also, won't the whole of the UK online make the internet much slower? It's slow enough already.
Sun 25/11/01 at 17:53
Regular
"It goes so quickly"
oh, then my bad, sorry.
Sun 25/11/01 at 16:55
cjh wrote:
> hehe, ok, doesn't matter.

I just though it sounded a little like you were
> saying.... "DUH, You think" kinda response ..... was I right???

no, i didnt even read what you said or what the topics about. im just trying to reply every post. look at the subject page.
Sun 25/11/01 at 16:51
Regular
"It goes so quickly"
hehe, ok, doesn't matter.

I just though it sounded a little like you were saying.... "DUH, You think" kinda response ..... was I right???
Sun 25/11/01 at 16:47
cjh wrote:
> big_slow wrote: thats a good idea. why dont they just do that eh?

It's hard
> to tell on these Forums, but I'm not sure if that was a sarcastic response or
> not .... but I'll give you the benefit of the doubt. :o).

now im lost.
Sun 25/11/01 at 16:45
Regular
"It goes so quickly"
big_slow wrote: thats a good idea. why dont they just do that eh?

It's hard to tell on these Forums, but I'm not sure if that was a sarcastic response or not .... but I'll give you the benefit of the doubt. :o).
Sun 25/11/01 at 16:38
cjh wrote:
> I think they should sort out all the problems for people who are already online,
> before signing everyone up. It'll just make the Internet much worse.

thats a good idea. why dont they just do that eh?
Sun 25/11/01 at 13:37
Regular
"It goes so quickly"
I think they should sort out all the problems for people who are already online, before signing everyone up. It'll just make the Internet much worse.
Sun 25/11/01 at 13:19
Regular
"Hoo Har"
I think that UKonline should try and get the people with the Internet all on broadband.

I heard something about this with connections with the PS2 and the 3rd class modems, so hopefully, fingers crossed they might be!
Sun 25/11/01 at 13:09
Regular
"No Surprises Please"
I think it's a good idea for the UK to be online. You say that most of the UK are IT-illiterate, but look at our generation. 99% of my friends would know how to set up a hotmail account and then retrieve e-mails. The UK being online is the future, it's just a matter of time before everyone is online.

Btw, I doubt people would look at you if you had been in an institution if you turned up on their doorstep with a 2000ghz PC, they would be more concerned by the fact that with this much power, it would probably be running around their garden, wasting the gnomes :D

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Very pleased
Very pleased with the help given by your staff. They explained technical details in an easy way and were patient when providing information to a non expert like me.
Easy and free service!
I think it's fab that you provide an easy-to-follow service, and even better that it's free...!
Cerrie

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.