GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"(Taps glass with knife three times) Can I have you attention please? Thank you."

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 22/08/00 at 21:02
Regular
This is the only speech I am going to do, so do read, and think.
Today I found out the name of the new Nintendo system will be the Nintendo Game Cube (N-Cube), after finding this out, I began to wonder if it could beat the PS2, so I decide to do a bit of research.

PS2. The Sony Play station 2 as it is known has been released in Japan for a while now, and out of interest I find out how many have been sold. 2 point 2 million. Over two million already. Pretty good doesn’t you think? Then, out of similar interest, I find out how many games have been sold. 4 million. Hang on. The PS2 has been sold for a few months in Japan now, and people have an average of about 1 point 8 games each. Humm. So why have people been buying PS2s?

I think our friend the Mr Tigerblade has already explained this. DVD. The fact that it runs DVD movies could be the only reason able answer. I suppose you could say that there aren't that many games out at the moment, and people could be playing their old games. But would you pay £300 to play 1 point 8 games? Or to play your old games even though you probably still have your first play station? Double humm. Next, public opinion in Japan has not been great. People have said things like the graphics are poor, not what they expected, and it plays just like the first one (play station).
Have Sony (insert foul, rude or abusive word) up?
Or could the lack of games be the main problem?
OK. The lack of games. Why? Basically, the PS2 is a (very difficult piece of hardware) to program. Only expert programmers can get their heads around it. The main problem is the machine does not have enough video memory, or so I've been told.
Lucasarts have said it is very hard to code themselves, so we have proof of that. Capcom Director Yoshiki Okamoto also said recently (I think): If the system had four times as much more ram, it could reach the graphical (processor) limitation.
I think Sony have (foul, rude or abusive word missing) up.
OK then. What’s left? Ah yes. Prices. Play station receive most of its profits from the games. True. Play station manu facture chips to fit into the play station, to make it play copyied games. True again. People can rent a game for a day, copy the DVD (there are DVD writers by the way) chip their PS2 (possible even now!) and save a lot of money, and will cost Sony a awful lot of money (To quote Monkey Island).
Oh dear.
So who is left?
Dreamcast. Good. Sega. Taking off well.
The dreamcast I have nothing against at all, I think it will do well, and is relying on arcade games a lot to sell. I love arcade style games. This console will do well as it has been already released and has many strong followers already.
X-Box.
For some reason, If you ask Sony, Nintendo, or Sega if X-Box is a threat, they all say no. They must know something I don't know because as far as I'm concerned, X-Box could easily win if allowed to develop. Think of how much money William Gates has. Can you imagine the chances of him going bust quicker than Sony, Nintendo, or Sega? No? Didn't think so.
And last but defin itely not least - the N-cube (title tentative)

(Cough) Well, Nintendo, the Only Strictly Games Company, as they may be known, will not concent rate on DVD playing. In fact they will probably release two systems. One for the games (cheaper), and one for both games and films. Of course we don't know all too much about the system, but what we DO know, is that Nintendo are working their (bottoms) off to make sure that they find out everything wrong with the N64 (sound memory, graphics chip, you name it) and put it triply (is that a word?) right.

So in one corner we have Sega, the experie nced Hedgehog people. And then we have the (obese) plumber people at Nintendo in the other. Hopefully, we may return to the good old days, and have just Nintendo and Sega fighting it out as per usual. But then, I can't predict the future; I just analyse the facts.
Tue 22/08/00 at 21:02
Regular
This is the only speech I am going to do, so do read, and think.
Today I found out the name of the new Nintendo system will be the Nintendo Game Cube (N-Cube), after finding this out, I began to wonder if it could beat the PS2, so I decide to do a bit of research.

PS2. The Sony Play station 2 as it is known has been released in Japan for a while now, and out of interest I find out how many have been sold. 2 point 2 million. Over two million already. Pretty good doesn’t you think? Then, out of similar interest, I find out how many games have been sold. 4 million. Hang on. The PS2 has been sold for a few months in Japan now, and people have an average of about 1 point 8 games each. Humm. So why have people been buying PS2s?

I think our friend the Mr Tigerblade has already explained this. DVD. The fact that it runs DVD movies could be the only reason able answer. I suppose you could say that there aren't that many games out at the moment, and people could be playing their old games. But would you pay £300 to play 1 point 8 games? Or to play your old games even though you probably still have your first play station? Double humm. Next, public opinion in Japan has not been great. People have said things like the graphics are poor, not what they expected, and it plays just like the first one (play station).
Have Sony (insert foul, rude or abusive word) up?
Or could the lack of games be the main problem?
OK. The lack of games. Why? Basically, the PS2 is a (very difficult piece of hardware) to program. Only expert programmers can get their heads around it. The main problem is the machine does not have enough video memory, or so I've been told.
Lucasarts have said it is very hard to code themselves, so we have proof of that. Capcom Director Yoshiki Okamoto also said recently (I think): If the system had four times as much more ram, it could reach the graphical (processor) limitation.
I think Sony have (foul, rude or abusive word missing) up.
OK then. What’s left? Ah yes. Prices. Play station receive most of its profits from the games. True. Play station manu facture chips to fit into the play station, to make it play copyied games. True again. People can rent a game for a day, copy the DVD (there are DVD writers by the way) chip their PS2 (possible even now!) and save a lot of money, and will cost Sony a awful lot of money (To quote Monkey Island).
Oh dear.
So who is left?
Dreamcast. Good. Sega. Taking off well.
The dreamcast I have nothing against at all, I think it will do well, and is relying on arcade games a lot to sell. I love arcade style games. This console will do well as it has been already released and has many strong followers already.
X-Box.
For some reason, If you ask Sony, Nintendo, or Sega if X-Box is a threat, they all say no. They must know something I don't know because as far as I'm concerned, X-Box could easily win if allowed to develop. Think of how much money William Gates has. Can you imagine the chances of him going bust quicker than Sony, Nintendo, or Sega? No? Didn't think so.
And last but defin itely not least - the N-cube (title tentative)

(Cough) Well, Nintendo, the Only Strictly Games Company, as they may be known, will not concent rate on DVD playing. In fact they will probably release two systems. One for the games (cheaper), and one for both games and films. Of course we don't know all too much about the system, but what we DO know, is that Nintendo are working their (bottoms) off to make sure that they find out everything wrong with the N64 (sound memory, graphics chip, you name it) and put it triply (is that a word?) right.

So in one corner we have Sega, the experie nced Hedgehog people. And then we have the (obese) plumber people at Nintendo in the other. Hopefully, we may return to the good old days, and have just Nintendo and Sega fighting it out as per usual. But then, I can't predict the future; I just analyse the facts.
Tue 22/08/00 at 21:03
Regular
If you are wondering why their are words in brackets, and words split in two, it is because Special Reserve kept telling me my words were too long, or I had bad language.
Tue 22/08/00 at 22:11
Let me guess you owned an N64 or SAturn, you my frien are a very sour biter person who seems to despise sony and everything about ps2. May i point out as i have had to to many people that a dvd player cost £200 or less where as a ps2 os £300. It doesn't make sense does it, as think about it...
Wed 23/08/00 at 15:21
Regular
1. I am the owner of a n64. Notice in my speech that I slagged off the n64 by critising the hardware.
2. I do NOT despise Sony, or am immature enough to spell the name fony or gaystation.
3. Dvd players are £300 for a decent one. PS2 is a decent one AND you can also play games. A two in one combination. Good deal. Problem is that people brought it for the games first, but then used it mainly as a DVD player.
You know, I have a reaaaal funny feeling that you didn't read all of the text. Maybe down to the middle of the PS2 section humm? Thought so.
Wed 23/08/00 at 21:59
I didn't read all the text because after a short while i became bored at reading a bitter mans testemony. The sony ss3 dvd player cost £199.99 and it is the 3rd best they do.
Thu 24/08/00 at 11:23
Regular
But in Japan they cost £600, do your research.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Continue this excellent work...
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do, I am delighted.
My website looks tremendous!
Fantastic site, easy to follow, simple guides... impressed with whole package. My website looks tremendous. You don't need to be a rocket scientist to set this up, Freeola helps you step-by-step.
Susan

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.