GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Has computer technology gone too far?"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 22/08/00 at 20:20
Regular
Recently, I read that a computer has been created that has the thinking capacity of a Mouse. It is anticipated that in roughly a decade, a computer with the ability to think like a human will be developed. This sounds very exciting and to some, possibly far fetched. However, should this feat come to fruition, will the world as we know it remain the same? We are all aware of the sinister thinking processes of some Human beings, I.E. Hitler, Saddam Hussein etc... A computer with this monumental ability, could feasibly take over the World. The repercussions of this would be devastating. Things that we take for granted, such as food distribution, medical care, water treatment etc, could be tampered with or withheld altogether. That is not to mention the possibility of infiltrating our defence systems throughout the world. The power of computers is a real one, one we might soon fear. Already in this day and age, computers control many aspects of daily life and hackers are already causing chaos throughout cyberspace. If a computer has the ability to think like a person and make its own decisions independantly without needing human intervention, I feel we will have created a monster. Although I believe computers are an asset and beneficial in many ways, we must be wary of the increasing power that we have imbued them with. The balance of power must remain tipped in our favour.
Tue 22/08/00 at 20:20
Recently, I read that a computer has been created that has the thinking capacity of a Mouse. It is anticipated that in roughly a decade, a computer with the ability to think like a human will be developed. This sounds very exciting and to some, possibly far fetched. However, should this feat come to fruition, will the world as we know it remain the same? We are all aware of the sinister thinking processes of some Human beings, I.E. Hitler, Saddam Hussein etc... A computer with this monumental ability, could feasibly take over the World. The repercussions of this would be devastating. Things that we take for granted, such as food distribution, medical care, water treatment etc, could be tampered with or withheld altogether. That is not to mention the possibility of infiltrating our defence systems throughout the world. The power of computers is a real one, one we might soon fear. Already in this day and age, computers control many aspects of daily life and hackers are already causing chaos throughout cyberspace. If a computer has the ability to think like a person and make its own decisions independantly without needing human intervention, I feel we will have created a monster. Although I believe computers are an asset and beneficial in many ways, we must be wary of the increasing power that we have imbued them with. The balance of power must remain tipped in our favour.
Tue 22/08/00 at 22:15
Hmmmmmmmmmmmm
Tue 22/08/00 at 23:53
The way technolgy is going now we wont be using computers to play fighting games we will actually be fighting them.
Thu 24/08/00 at 15:14
Your about as funny as heart disease
Fri 25/08/00 at 11:41
Regular
"not dead"
...and they'll call it Skylab and it will creat robots that will track all of us humans down and kill us, except for a small band of rebels. But then it'll get clever and learn about time travel and send a terminator back in time to kill the rebel leader's mother.....
Sorry. No you do have a good point even if it is a little paranoid. Surely though the human thought pattern cannot be duplicated as it relies so little on logic with most people. I like things the way they are, computers are only as smart as the person that's using them or making the programs for them. Next time you hear somebody blame a computer error remember that it's really a human error made using a computer. That's the way I like it.
Sat 26/08/00 at 00:03
humans over the years have changed from caveman to what we are today.
the computer will be the same, its only a computer now but in the future, maybe now, maybe thousands of years time the computer will be fighting and destroying us.

when i was at school we could run lego models with motors, off a computer, whats to say in the future we wont be able to run robots off a computer

But you have to admit computers are cool though
Sat 26/08/00 at 23:46
We, the Human race won't be around that long, we're the scurge of the earth.And we're depleating this planet at an alarming rate!!!!!So don't worry about big old robots coming to get us, being our own worst enemy, thats what'll kill us off!!!!No need for paranoia over gigantic machines, cuz we're all gonna die, die, diiiiiieeeeeeeee!!!!!!!!ha ha ha hhhhhhhaaaaaaaaaaaaaa.Sleep well.ARTY
Sun 27/08/00 at 02:07
XTERMIN 8

XTERMIN 8
Tue 29/08/00 at 20:32
Mad as a Hatter wrote:
> XTERMIN 8
>
> XTERMIN 8
The only problem with the F-in Darleks, was that they couldn't climb stairs...ummmmmm...other than that, they had toilet plungers for weaponary (very original).ARTY

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Unrivalled services
Freeola has to be one of, if not the best, ISP around as the services they offer seem unrivalled.
Brilliant service.
Love it, love it, love it!
Christopher

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.