GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"The Fast and The Furious"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sat 24/11/01 at 19:55
Regular
For 24 hours since watching The Fast and The Furious, I have not been able to stop drooling for a period longer than three minutes. I am also guilty of making whooshing noises and whistles when my dad changes the gears in his car. The reason for this is that as I watched this film, I was in car heaven, I was watching the action packed, high octane fuelled, nitro burning extravaganza, also known also as "The Fast and the Furious", and to any guys or girls out there who liked the spills and thrills of "Gone in 60 seconds", I can quite honestly say that this film leaves it very far behind in a huge cloud of exhaust and gritty dust!

The film starts rather tamely at a dock with a ship unloading its cargo of DVD players and video cameras onto the back of an awaiting truck. Then a rather shady looking worker makes a quick call from his mobile phone to let someone know that the "shipment" has arrived. It is at this point that the "key in the engine is turned" so to speak and we are taken on a very fast ride for the next 107 minutes. The truck is unexpectedly car jacked by three extremely fast and well driven modified black Honda Civic's, and when I say modified, I mean modified! Whoever made this film must have been a major car enthusiast! All of the three cars have been completely rebuilt, all with computer controlled fuel injection systems, dump valve gear change, and nitro burners. For anyone unfamiliar with what a Nitro burner actually is, I shall now explain. It is illegal to have Nitro, or Nitrous Oxide, fitted to your vehicle, as it allows a car to accelerate to up to speeds of 170MPH in a few seconds depending on the vehicle. It burns in the same way that fuel does on a jet fighter so you can appreciate the reason why the government have banned it (they are such party poopers). One example of a vehicle that has such a nitro system fitted is the Dodge Viper; capable of speeds of up to 200MPH due to its Nitrous Oxide enhanced thrust. Anyway back to the movie. As I was saying, these three Civic's proceed in hijacking the truck at speed and driving off with its contents.

The film then changes and we are now sat in a small coffee shop run by brother and sister duo Dominic and Mia Toretto (played by Vin Diesel from "Pitch Black", and Jordana Brewster from "The Faculty"), a hang out for Dominic's team of elite street racers. The team comprises of Dominic; the leader, and five other drivers who rule the roads with speed and precision built cars. As you can imagine, their lifestyles are as fast and dangerous as their cars, and as a result do not appreciate strangers and new faces in their territory. This is what appearing innocently enough Brian Spillner (played by Paul Walker from "The Skulls") has to contend with when he comes to get his Tuna Sandwich from Mia every day. If there is any romantic subplot in the film this is between Mia and Brian, and that is only on for about 2 minutes. I warn you now people that this is not a movie for the lovey dovey couple to hold hands to. There is no romance, no sweet whispering in the ears, just raw speed.

As would be expected, the team doesn't take kindly to Brian and a scuffle erupts, Dom breaks it up and Brian is determined to earn his respect and become a part of the elite team. However, Brian is not all he appears. He is really Brian O'Connor, an undercover cop working for the police and the FBI in an attempt to infiltrate and bring to justice the group who has been hijacking the truckers, before they turn into vigilantes and take matters into their own hands. So how do you impress a speed freak with a super car? Yep you guessed it, you beat him at his own game.

So that same evening, Brian enters into the street race of his life against Dom and three other racers with cars that make you just want to scream with delight. As a little treat, when one of the stereos in the cars was turned on, you are "greeted" with the low hum of Dolby digital bass. Personally, I was more impressed with the laptop that Brian was using to control the use of Nitro in his car. Once the police scanner confirmed that the area was free of activity, the signal was given and with that the race had begun, with Brian desperately trying to win for the money and prove himself to Dom and to make matters worse, he has entered his car in as the entry fee of $2000 so if he loses the winner takes his $80,000 beast.

Brian drives both himself and his car to the limit, with bursts of Nitro known as NOS, and his PC beeping wildly, telling him that his manifold is about to give way. At the end of the race, it is pretty safe to say that his car would have been crying from the punishment if it had had the chance. However, there is no real time to reflect as just as the race ends the police catch wind of the street race and send in a multitude of squad cars to break it up and arrest the ringleader Dom. In a burst of exhaust and a cloud of tyre smoke, around a hundred cars are gone in seconds. Dom knows that he is the one that the police are after, and hides his car in a car park and decides to make the rest of the journey on foot so he doesnt lose his pride and joy if he is arrested. As his luck would have it, a squad car notices him straight away. He makes a run for it but has no real chance on foot, that is until a car screams to a halt behind him, his saviour has appeared in the form of Brian. Together they lose the police, but are then encountered by an even greater, life-threatening situation. They are surrounded by bikes, with each driver holding an automatic machine pistol and are directed to an industrial park. It is here that we are introduced to the sinister Johnny Tran (played by Rick Yune), a long time archrival of Dom, due to racing and Dom sleeping with his sister. After the initial threats Tran leaves, only to turn around and shoot up Brian's car, blowing it up. As you can imagine, Brian is not best pleased, but he has achieved what he set out to do and earned the trust, and what will turn out to be true friendship, of Dom.

It is after this event that Brian is torn on his judgement, who is responsible for the robberies on the trucks? Is it Dom, who appears to be too relaxed and controlled and after already spending time in prison, swears never to go back. On the other hand, is it Tran, who appears to be organised and ruthless with the funds and resources to pull of the jobs. Either way, Brian only has a few days to crack the ring before he is pulled off the case and the FBI takes matters into their own hands, as will the Truckers.

I am sorry if I have gone a bit in depth here, but this is quite literally only the first thirty minutes of the film, and is also the entire framework for the story. In their direction, Rob Cohen and John Ireland realised that when making a film about cars that can achieve speeds beyond belief, the last thing that the audience who would be coming to see is a love story. In this movie, they well and truly deliver. I was astonished to see some of the work that had been done on the cars that were being displayed in the film. In parts, there was some non-car related scenes, these did add in making the story and keep the audience on track with the events; it was almost like a summary every 30 minutes on what has just flashed before your eyes in case you missed it. I can thoroughly say that during it's running, there was not one dull moment in this film and if there wasn't a moment of high paced action there was plenty of cars for everyone to drool over and envy during the wait.

In a round up, this is definitely a film for the car lovers out there, and I hate to say it but this is going to probably end up being a film for the guys. It's not all cars, there is some eye candy there for the guys in the form of Brewster and Michelle Rodriguez (from "Girlfight"), who plays Dom's girlfriend, but in all honesty, I hardly noticed, as I was too busy looking at all of the super cars that they had on display.

Guys watch this, if you truly appreciate cars you will really enjoy this movie.

Thanks for reading.
Firebalt.
Sat 24/11/01 at 19:55
Regular
"Fat Red-Capped Vale"
For 24 hours since watching The Fast and The Furious, I have not been able to stop drooling for a period longer than three minutes. I am also guilty of making whooshing noises and whistles when my dad changes the gears in his car. The reason for this is that as I watched this film, I was in car heaven, I was watching the action packed, high octane fuelled, nitro burning extravaganza, also known also as "The Fast and the Furious", and to any guys or girls out there who liked the spills and thrills of "Gone in 60 seconds", I can quite honestly say that this film leaves it very far behind in a huge cloud of exhaust and gritty dust!

The film starts rather tamely at a dock with a ship unloading its cargo of DVD players and video cameras onto the back of an awaiting truck. Then a rather shady looking worker makes a quick call from his mobile phone to let someone know that the "shipment" has arrived. It is at this point that the "key in the engine is turned" so to speak and we are taken on a very fast ride for the next 107 minutes. The truck is unexpectedly car jacked by three extremely fast and well driven modified black Honda Civic's, and when I say modified, I mean modified! Whoever made this film must have been a major car enthusiast! All of the three cars have been completely rebuilt, all with computer controlled fuel injection systems, dump valve gear change, and nitro burners. For anyone unfamiliar with what a Nitro burner actually is, I shall now explain. It is illegal to have Nitro, or Nitrous Oxide, fitted to your vehicle, as it allows a car to accelerate to up to speeds of 170MPH in a few seconds depending on the vehicle. It burns in the same way that fuel does on a jet fighter so you can appreciate the reason why the government have banned it (they are such party poopers). One example of a vehicle that has such a nitro system fitted is the Dodge Viper; capable of speeds of up to 200MPH due to its Nitrous Oxide enhanced thrust. Anyway back to the movie. As I was saying, these three Civic's proceed in hijacking the truck at speed and driving off with its contents.

The film then changes and we are now sat in a small coffee shop run by brother and sister duo Dominic and Mia Toretto (played by Vin Diesel from "Pitch Black", and Jordana Brewster from "The Faculty"), a hang out for Dominic's team of elite street racers. The team comprises of Dominic; the leader, and five other drivers who rule the roads with speed and precision built cars. As you can imagine, their lifestyles are as fast and dangerous as their cars, and as a result do not appreciate strangers and new faces in their territory. This is what appearing innocently enough Brian Spillner (played by Paul Walker from "The Skulls") has to contend with when he comes to get his Tuna Sandwich from Mia every day. If there is any romantic subplot in the film this is between Mia and Brian, and that is only on for about 2 minutes. I warn you now people that this is not a movie for the lovey dovey couple to hold hands to. There is no romance, no sweet whispering in the ears, just raw speed.

As would be expected, the team doesn't take kindly to Brian and a scuffle erupts, Dom breaks it up and Brian is determined to earn his respect and become a part of the elite team. However, Brian is not all he appears. He is really Brian O'Connor, an undercover cop working for the police and the FBI in an attempt to infiltrate and bring to justice the group who has been hijacking the truckers, before they turn into vigilantes and take matters into their own hands. So how do you impress a speed freak with a super car? Yep you guessed it, you beat him at his own game.

So that same evening, Brian enters into the street race of his life against Dom and three other racers with cars that make you just want to scream with delight. As a little treat, when one of the stereos in the cars was turned on, you are "greeted" with the low hum of Dolby digital bass. Personally, I was more impressed with the laptop that Brian was using to control the use of Nitro in his car. Once the police scanner confirmed that the area was free of activity, the signal was given and with that the race had begun, with Brian desperately trying to win for the money and prove himself to Dom and to make matters worse, he has entered his car in as the entry fee of $2000 so if he loses the winner takes his $80,000 beast.

Brian drives both himself and his car to the limit, with bursts of Nitro known as NOS, and his PC beeping wildly, telling him that his manifold is about to give way. At the end of the race, it is pretty safe to say that his car would have been crying from the punishment if it had had the chance. However, there is no real time to reflect as just as the race ends the police catch wind of the street race and send in a multitude of squad cars to break it up and arrest the ringleader Dom. In a burst of exhaust and a cloud of tyre smoke, around a hundred cars are gone in seconds. Dom knows that he is the one that the police are after, and hides his car in a car park and decides to make the rest of the journey on foot so he doesnt lose his pride and joy if he is arrested. As his luck would have it, a squad car notices him straight away. He makes a run for it but has no real chance on foot, that is until a car screams to a halt behind him, his saviour has appeared in the form of Brian. Together they lose the police, but are then encountered by an even greater, life-threatening situation. They are surrounded by bikes, with each driver holding an automatic machine pistol and are directed to an industrial park. It is here that we are introduced to the sinister Johnny Tran (played by Rick Yune), a long time archrival of Dom, due to racing and Dom sleeping with his sister. After the initial threats Tran leaves, only to turn around and shoot up Brian's car, blowing it up. As you can imagine, Brian is not best pleased, but he has achieved what he set out to do and earned the trust, and what will turn out to be true friendship, of Dom.

It is after this event that Brian is torn on his judgement, who is responsible for the robberies on the trucks? Is it Dom, who appears to be too relaxed and controlled and after already spending time in prison, swears never to go back. On the other hand, is it Tran, who appears to be organised and ruthless with the funds and resources to pull of the jobs. Either way, Brian only has a few days to crack the ring before he is pulled off the case and the FBI takes matters into their own hands, as will the Truckers.

I am sorry if I have gone a bit in depth here, but this is quite literally only the first thirty minutes of the film, and is also the entire framework for the story. In their direction, Rob Cohen and John Ireland realised that when making a film about cars that can achieve speeds beyond belief, the last thing that the audience who would be coming to see is a love story. In this movie, they well and truly deliver. I was astonished to see some of the work that had been done on the cars that were being displayed in the film. In parts, there was some non-car related scenes, these did add in making the story and keep the audience on track with the events; it was almost like a summary every 30 minutes on what has just flashed before your eyes in case you missed it. I can thoroughly say that during it's running, there was not one dull moment in this film and if there wasn't a moment of high paced action there was plenty of cars for everyone to drool over and envy during the wait.

In a round up, this is definitely a film for the car lovers out there, and I hate to say it but this is going to probably end up being a film for the guys. It's not all cars, there is some eye candy there for the guys in the form of Brewster and Michelle Rodriguez (from "Girlfight"), who plays Dom's girlfriend, but in all honesty, I hardly noticed, as I was too busy looking at all of the super cars that they had on display.

Guys watch this, if you truly appreciate cars you will really enjoy this movie.

Thanks for reading.
Firebalt.
Sat 24/11/01 at 22:49
Regular
"Jim Jam Jim"
Its a great film. Got to see it about 2 months before it got released over here. Looking forward to getting it on DVD when its released on region 1 at the start of next year.
Sat 24/11/01 at 22:52
Regular
"Jim Jam Jim"
What was your fav car in the film Firebalt? Mine was the Eclipse that Brian drove which got shot too pieces. The sound for the car was dubbed and was the sound of an Integra instead.
Sun 25/11/01 at 09:00
Regular
"Fat Red-Capped Vale"
adrian wrote:
> What was your fav car in the film Firebalt? Mine was the Eclipse that Brian
> drove which got shot too pieces. The sound for the car was dubbed and was the
> sound of an Integra instead.

Really? Oh, thanks for that tidbit. As to the original question, all the cars were sweet, but Brian's was just the sweetest!

The ultimate combination for a guy's film = sex, drugs, alcohol, big things that blow stuff up and yes, you've guessed it, cars! I strongly recommend that you go see this film - car enthusiast or not, because it's a truly exhilerating experience.

Firebalt.
Sun 25/11/01 at 09:46
Regular
"Rong Xion Tong"
It was quite good. Nothing special though. It was just a complete rip-off of Point Break except with cars and no where near as good. Let's see how much of a copy it was:

1) They even got the cop guy to sound exactly like Keanu Reeves.

2) They just substituted Swayze's ex-girlfriend in Point Break for Diesel's sister.

3) They even shot the ending exactly the same. The only difference is, it wasn't half as good. They had the exact same shot from Point Break with the cop walking away and up close on his face. Then, a whoooosh as the credits come on.

Verdict - Quite good, but seen it all before done better.
Sun 25/11/01 at 09:52
Regular
"Fat Red-Capped Vale"
The_Vottanator wrote:
> It was quite good. Nothing special though. It was just a complete rip-off of
> Point Break except with cars and no where near as good. Let's see how much of a
> copy it was:

1) They even got the cop guy to sound exactly like Keanu
> Reeves.

2) They just substituted Swayze's ex-girlfriend in Point Break for
> Diesel's sister.

3) They even shot the ending exactly the same. The only
> difference is, it wasn't half as good. They had the exact same shot from Point
> Break with the cop walking away and up close on his face. Then, a whoooosh as
> the credits come on.

Verdict - Quite good, but seen it all before done
> better.

I've never seen Point Break, so I'll have to check it. I could do a comparison review of the two I suppose. How old is Point Break by the way?
Sun 25/11/01 at 10:15
Regular
"Rong Xion Tong"
I khink it was made in 1991.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Excellent
Excellent communication, polite and courteous staff - I was dealt with professionally. 10/10
Everybody thinks I am an IT genius...
Nothing but admiration. I have been complimented on the church site that I manage through you and everybody thinks I am an IT genius. Your support is unquestionably outstanding.
Brian

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.