GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"[GAME]Worms Reloaded"

The "Retro Game Reviews" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

This thread has been linked to the game 'Worms Reloaded'.
Sun 12/09/10 at 10:10
Regular
A long time ago in a garden far far away...

It has been many years since the worms went to war. After fighting many battles in two dimensions, then in three, teams of four worms have been fighting for noble causes: like collecting Super-sheep crates; to stop the Angry Scots from taking over their ever shrinking lands; and of course...just for the sake of it, in order to reign supreme champions of worm-dom. These battles have taken many forms, from attacking forts, to exploration, to copying Puzzle Bobble and even through pinball! Across many consoles these games have been released, from the Game Boy to the Nintendo 64, from the Dreamcast to the Xbox, and not to forget the DS and Xbox 360. But there is one place... Yes one place...that these worms can call home...: The Personal Computer. These worms are back, reloaded and ready to wage warrrrrr!

So what's it all about? Well, since the original Worms game it's basically been played like this: Two or more teams of four worms (up to eight in some versions) are randomly placed by the computer across and terrain. Each team has a limited time to reposition their worms, choose their weaponry, attack with that weapon, then if necessary, find cover. The terrain is destructable (though not effected by gravity) and certain hazards can get in the way, such as mines and explosive barrels. When a team's turn ends, play moves to the next team. The game ends when there is only one team of worms left on the terrain.

And that's basically it. However, it's the game's plethora of weaponry, comedic character and the customisability that makes the game seem more interesting. For a start, you can create your own teams. Name the team anything you like, and name each individual worm. Give your team an accent, whether one of the international languages, or more comical ones such as Yorkshire Tykes, Angry Scots or Thespians . Choose a helmet for your worms to easily identify them on the battlefield or choose to go naked, that's up to you. Pick a gravestone for should your worms be expelled, they will self-TNT themselves into their graves - that is, unless they're drowned or knocked completely out of the stage. You can even pick from a selection of forts for when you play the Forts multiplayer mode. If you're a little more creative, it is possible to make your own stages, similar to those of the original Worms game (where typing in the right level codes would give you dogs, Windows, space and many other interesting terrains to play through). So, if you wanted to play on Peggy Mitchell's head, The Stig's helmet or Katy Perry's massive cleavage, it's entirely up to you!

If you're new to the game, Worms Reloaded pretty does everything it needs to to give you a full wormage experience, however, for the veteran, there are a few notable ommisions: I used to play 8-player matches in the old Worms games...true they were longer, but that's what made them great. You don't always want a quick game. Some of the weapons have been replaced such as the Salvation Army guy, the old lady, and the Holy Hand Grenade has been...altered (if only slightly). Youused to be able to pick your nationality and add an anthem to your worms to gloat over your opponents when you beat them...a notable error was made in earlier versions when the Scottish anthem was infact the Welsh Land of my Fathers. The physics of the game have been altered...but that's no biggie. If anything its a slight improvement. And there was a deathmatch mode that allowed you to play against the computer in ever increasing difficulty as you won each stage. If you started losing, your rank would decrease and you'd play against easier opponents. Some sound schemes have also disappeared, disapointingly, considering Team 17 state this is one of the most customisable worms games to date. Any veteran will know that Worms Armageddon and Worms World Party were far more customisable.

But lets not worry about what the game hasn't got. What it does have is improved AI, rockets, grenades, homing missiles, air strikes, and some interesting new weaponry. The Bull of Lies continually explodes against walls until time runs out. So, if an enemy worm is hiding behind a wall, a well used Bull of Lies will hurt it, and Termites can be used to attack worms hiding underground. The humour from previous generations remains in great quantity.

Thankfully, Team 17 have made it easier to play online. Just a few clicks and, providing there are opponents available, you can be online and battling. However, this appears to have come at the cost of choice and flexibility. No longer can you buy Worms on disc, instead you are forced to use Steam to download and play. Whilst that isn't a problem for me, it means the price of the game can be fixed and if you're not a keen user of Steam, can be quite off-putting.

Now to the normal stuff: Graphically the game is well presented with semi-3D backgrounds and HD visuals, it's certainly the best looking 2D worms game to date. The audio is pretty much recycled material from earlier games with a few new tracks and soundschemes. The controls are fab', especially for the Worms veteran. They're near enough the same as all previous PC versions, but for the console gamer, also allow for controllers to be used. Gameplay is top notch, but would like to see Deathmatch return.

So, to summarise, it is overall a fun, enjoyable, harmlessly entertaining worm-slaughter that will be a pleasant experience for the veteran, and I'm sure a very fun experience for the 'noob'. Although lacking certain key elements from earlier games, it does make a welcome change to see Worms going back to its roots. I strongly reccomend playing this game and if we're both online, I challenge you to some wormage! Rawr!

8/10
Mon 13/09/10 at 13:01
Regular
That was an awesome attempt at challenging the Worms series.

I may have to borrow my brother's copy and play on my PS2...
Sun 12/09/10 at 16:29
Regular
"How Ironic"
I love the idea that these worms get hit by bullets and explosions, and survive for another round, but as soon as water hits them, they die.

Hogs of War was where it was at.
Sun 12/09/10 at 16:08
Regular
Console controls on Worms games spoil them - should only be played with Keyboard/Mouse.

I remember trying to learn to play Worms Armageddon on the N64 - shocking!

You kinda reminded me of an incident when I was playing Worms 2 (after it had recently come out) on the PC against my brother. When it was his turn he took his shot, damaged my worm(s) then moved his worm to a new position. I shouted, "Quick jump!" He tapped the Enter key and his worm went, "hup," as it gently plummeted off an edge and into a watery grave...

Good times :D
Sun 12/09/10 at 14:12
Regular
"How Ironic"
I completely agree with the controller problem. I found myself pressing 'A' to jump, but obviously this fired whatever weapon you're holding. Was not impressed.
Sun 12/09/10 at 12:32
Regular
I downloaded the XBLA game and wasn't impressed...Worms Reloaded, I hear, is very much a PC port of the latest XBLA Worms game...but because it has gone back to its PC roots, it plays much better. Worms with a controller? Pffft! Keyboard & mouse all the way for Worms!

But it is one of those types of games that either will be great fun, or you just wont like. I've always been a fan of Worms, even through the dark days of Worms 3D, but find I can't get on with any of the console/handheld versions. I am a little biased growing up with Worms though...that's the game...not the parasite :P
Sun 12/09/10 at 12:07
Regular
"How Ironic"
" It is a period of civil war and renegade paragraphs floating through space"

Haven't played Worms Reloaded, but have downloaded the arcade game from XBL. Not a massive fan of Worms.
Sun 12/09/10 at 10:10
Regular
A long time ago in a garden far far away...

It has been many years since the worms went to war. After fighting many battles in two dimensions, then in three, teams of four worms have been fighting for noble causes: like collecting Super-sheep crates; to stop the Angry Scots from taking over their ever shrinking lands; and of course...just for the sake of it, in order to reign supreme champions of worm-dom. These battles have taken many forms, from attacking forts, to exploration, to copying Puzzle Bobble and even through pinball! Across many consoles these games have been released, from the Game Boy to the Nintendo 64, from the Dreamcast to the Xbox, and not to forget the DS and Xbox 360. But there is one place... Yes one place...that these worms can call home...: The Personal Computer. These worms are back, reloaded and ready to wage warrrrrr!

So what's it all about? Well, since the original Worms game it's basically been played like this: Two or more teams of four worms (up to eight in some versions) are randomly placed by the computer across and terrain. Each team has a limited time to reposition their worms, choose their weaponry, attack with that weapon, then if necessary, find cover. The terrain is destructable (though not effected by gravity) and certain hazards can get in the way, such as mines and explosive barrels. When a team's turn ends, play moves to the next team. The game ends when there is only one team of worms left on the terrain.

And that's basically it. However, it's the game's plethora of weaponry, comedic character and the customisability that makes the game seem more interesting. For a start, you can create your own teams. Name the team anything you like, and name each individual worm. Give your team an accent, whether one of the international languages, or more comical ones such as Yorkshire Tykes, Angry Scots or Thespians . Choose a helmet for your worms to easily identify them on the battlefield or choose to go naked, that's up to you. Pick a gravestone for should your worms be expelled, they will self-TNT themselves into their graves - that is, unless they're drowned or knocked completely out of the stage. You can even pick from a selection of forts for when you play the Forts multiplayer mode. If you're a little more creative, it is possible to make your own stages, similar to those of the original Worms game (where typing in the right level codes would give you dogs, Windows, space and many other interesting terrains to play through). So, if you wanted to play on Peggy Mitchell's head, The Stig's helmet or Katy Perry's massive cleavage, it's entirely up to you!

If you're new to the game, Worms Reloaded pretty does everything it needs to to give you a full wormage experience, however, for the veteran, there are a few notable ommisions: I used to play 8-player matches in the old Worms games...true they were longer, but that's what made them great. You don't always want a quick game. Some of the weapons have been replaced such as the Salvation Army guy, the old lady, and the Holy Hand Grenade has been...altered (if only slightly). Youused to be able to pick your nationality and add an anthem to your worms to gloat over your opponents when you beat them...a notable error was made in earlier versions when the Scottish anthem was infact the Welsh Land of my Fathers. The physics of the game have been altered...but that's no biggie. If anything its a slight improvement. And there was a deathmatch mode that allowed you to play against the computer in ever increasing difficulty as you won each stage. If you started losing, your rank would decrease and you'd play against easier opponents. Some sound schemes have also disappeared, disapointingly, considering Team 17 state this is one of the most customisable worms games to date. Any veteran will know that Worms Armageddon and Worms World Party were far more customisable.

But lets not worry about what the game hasn't got. What it does have is improved AI, rockets, grenades, homing missiles, air strikes, and some interesting new weaponry. The Bull of Lies continually explodes against walls until time runs out. So, if an enemy worm is hiding behind a wall, a well used Bull of Lies will hurt it, and Termites can be used to attack worms hiding underground. The humour from previous generations remains in great quantity.

Thankfully, Team 17 have made it easier to play online. Just a few clicks and, providing there are opponents available, you can be online and battling. However, this appears to have come at the cost of choice and flexibility. No longer can you buy Worms on disc, instead you are forced to use Steam to download and play. Whilst that isn't a problem for me, it means the price of the game can be fixed and if you're not a keen user of Steam, can be quite off-putting.

Now to the normal stuff: Graphically the game is well presented with semi-3D backgrounds and HD visuals, it's certainly the best looking 2D worms game to date. The audio is pretty much recycled material from earlier games with a few new tracks and soundschemes. The controls are fab', especially for the Worms veteran. They're near enough the same as all previous PC versions, but for the console gamer, also allow for controllers to be used. Gameplay is top notch, but would like to see Deathmatch return.

So, to summarise, it is overall a fun, enjoyable, harmlessly entertaining worm-slaughter that will be a pleasant experience for the veteran, and I'm sure a very fun experience for the 'noob'. Although lacking certain key elements from earlier games, it does make a welcome change to see Worms going back to its roots. I strongly reccomend playing this game and if we're both online, I challenge you to some wormage! Rawr!

8/10

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Best Provider
The best provider I know of, never a problem, recommend highly
Paul
Everybody thinks I am an IT genius...
Nothing but admiration. I have been complimented on the church site that I manage through you and everybody thinks I am an IT genius. Your support is unquestionably outstanding.
Brian

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.