GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Generic title about nostalgic stuff and the future"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Fri 10/09/10 at 12:57
Regular
I've been going through a lot of crazy stuff over the last few months, but am soon going to be a father so I've had to shake myself out of it. In doing so, I've been processing a lot of random thoughts and feelings about my past (mainly my childhood) and thought it would be nice to share them with the *Special Reser... Freeola massive.

I've always had this misconception that the world can be a great place for everyone. This has been drilled into me by good teaching in my primary school and through media. Sure, there are bad things in the world, but if we work together, we can sort it out. Well, that is, if we lived in a perfect world.

My earliest memories of such begin with He-Man and the Masters of the Universe. Adam, son of Eternia, was super-strong as he had the power of good behind him. He was also a little naive and learned lessons on his adventures which were shared with the viewing audience. Part of me wanted to be like He-man when I was a youngster, but alas powerful swords like his don't exist. This didn't stop me enjoying the show, nor the homo-erotic B-movie starring Dolph Lundgren. I still like to think that good can prevail over evil and try to live my life not as someone who thinks they're better than anyone else, but someone who in his own little way can help others and at the very least, to try not to cause any of the troubles that I would hate to face myself.

This trend of TV good vs evil became a pattern throughout my childhood - notably Thundercats, Teenage Mutant Hero Turtles, Power Rangers, Captain Planet, the 1960s Batman series and the recently well discussed Flash Gordon movie. If ever I was play-fighting with my friends in primary school, I always wanted to play the side of the good guys...I was rarely the villain.

I suppose that's what got me into videogames...and the fact I've always enjoyed electronic entertainment. Super Mario fighting to save his love; Link trying to rescue the princess; Sonic trying to save the forest creatures for Dr Robotnik; even Duke Nukem 3D (played at a rather early age) wasn't about the boobies or swearing...it was about saving the world from the alien invaders.

As I've got to my mid-twenties (yep, I've turned into an old fart now) my view on the world has completely changed. I've seen a great online community shrink (which is a great shame) but survive against the odds; I've found the love of my life who I married last year and am soon to become proud parents with, I've suffered depression and near-suicide and I've seen horrors, disasters and atrocities on the news that I'd hope I'd never see. I have faded from fantasizing about being the hero rather to seeing the irony in life. Influenced by TV comedies such as Have I Got News For You, One Foot in the Grave and more recently the greats of Seth McFarlane: Family Guy; American Dad and The Cleveland Show,, books such as HitchHiker's Guide to the Galaxy and the Discworld series, I've learned to accept the world is how it is, and really, its never been any different. Wars have always been fought and Humans have always been selfish. This may make me sound cynical, but all you have to do is look at the history books, watch the news or even read a religious book (whether believing in religion or not).

Maybe it means I've grown up. I don't know, as I still enjoy the elements of my past. Masters of the Universe, Flash Gordon and the likes are still enjoyable to me. Infact the modern hero movies are just as entertaining, whether attempting seriousness like Spider-man or Dark Knight, or going down the comedy route of Kick-Ass. However, I've learned that there are some fights we can't win, as taught in the sci-fi movie series of Terminator. There is always going to be an evil challenging humans, and in that story, no matter what is done to prevent it, mankind causes its own destruction.

There will always be a part of me that looks forward to a bright future. As I've mentioned, first baby on the way and I want what's best for my child. In many years to come, my child may be challenging me to games of Super Mario Kart or watching Flash Gordon with myself. Like my parents before me, I'll be listening to the latest chart music and saying, "The original 20 years ago was better" and maybe I'll even be introducing my child to the random greats of the past such as Jeff Wayne's The War of the Worlds, the original Super Mario Bros and Star Wars. I'll hopefully be teaching my child about things I've lived through and things I've learned along the way. I'll also be teaching my child why the phrase "That'll learn him" grates on me** or the difference between "specific" and "Pacific". But importantly, I hope I'll be teaching my child to enjoy life and to be the best he or she can be.

Whilst going through many life changing experiences recently my opportunities for gaming, TV, internet and so on have been greatly reduced. However I'm sure I will always be a part of this community and will always find the time to play the latest Halo or Zelda games and to natter about random rubbish about them on here.

This is just a small part of the stuff that's gone through my head recently and hope its been of some interest to the regulars here. At the very least, its been a great way for me to process some of my thoughts and feelings and hopefully sparks some random debate...even if it is about the bare-chested furry underpants wearing Dolph Lundgren's appeal to young children...

I feel I should end this with Dringo's common footnote: Here's to the future!

*One day I'll stop this association with what was my favourite online games store...but GAD will always be Gameaday...even if this is a thread that starts with me moving on...
**If you don't know why that grates on me then I suggest you learn what it is to learn.
Fri 10/09/10 at 16:47
Regular
Banzuke Brian for teh win! :)

Baby's due mid-late November - almost a little Christmas present for us :)

Congrats and good luck for October :)
Fri 10/09/10 at 16:42
Regular
"Zebra Three 537-ONN"
When are you due to be a Father Edgy? I'm awaiting the arrival of my son too, end of October, can't wait. I already have 2 daughters, and it's mind boggling at first but you wouldn't change it for anything in the world.
Fri 10/09/10 at 16:41
Regular
"How Ironic"
Or laugh as heartily as Brian Blessed for that matter! Although his jokes on Dave become rather annoying... "It's driving me nuts!" to quote the man.
Fri 10/09/10 at 16:26
Regular
I hear he can't grow a beard like Brian Blessed's...
Fri 10/09/10 at 16:21
Regular
"How Ironic"
Flash Gordon has yet again appeared on this forum. Is there anything he can't do?
Fri 10/09/10 at 15:55
Regular
I'm hoping it does - there's only a couple months to go til there's an Edgling in my world, and the closer we get, the more excited I am.

I think my wife is afraid it will be born with too much of my influence (as in pointy ears or borg implants, and possibly a Mario 'tash) but we're both eager to be good parents :)

I still find it hard to believe its happening...especially as when I joined these forums Pokémon Yellow had not yet been released and I was referring to myself as The Pokémon Master, but I've got bigger in height and as a person and although my inner child will always be an influence, I'll soon be influenced by my child whether he or she turns out to be a gaming geek like myself or a fantastic athlete, or a multi-millionaire business-person (I can only hope!). As long as the baby is healthy though, that's all I can ask.

It's gonna be a shock to the system, but a welcome one. :)

You're right about the community making the place. Thankfully its about quality not quantity. There were many other great posters who we don't see now, but there were also a few who weren't so great. Right now I haven't seen any regular posters who fit in the latter catagory.
Fri 10/09/10 at 15:08
"possibly impossible"
I enjoyed reading that, and congrats, by the way, on your soon becoming a father (and good luck too!)

I can sympathise, I was brought up on Star Wars, Transformers teaching me that strong will and good can win out every time, but also that everything can be fixed and has a story, as long as you have a bunch of mice, a saggy old cloth cat and a wooden woodpecker and that even a mouse with one eye can be the world's greatest detective.

However, I do think your current view of the world is only one of many. If people are fighting then there are obviously things worth fighting for. Passion drives many to these acts, whether on an individual basis or as a group. yes, there are those who seek to corrupt, there will always be 7 shades of grey instead of an easy to spot evil villain and the world can be nasty at times, but think of it as a parallel to nature.

Nature gives us volcanoes, Earth-quakes and tornados but it also provides flowers, rainbows and a rich and beautiful variety of vistas. The human world is the same; there is violence, evil and selfishness tempered with love, trust, acts of pure kindness Balance is the key, not one winning out over the other.

And SR. Mmmmm. I remember the days fondly, but as someone remembers a housing estate being 'all trees'. It was more the community that made it, not the website. The website wasn't any better or worse as a site really, the content drove it. That's my view. We have some good posters here now, but not half as many as we had before. Some grew into their teenage years or because overly cynical too, which changed the dynamics too.

Anyway, all good here and I think that being a father may well give you a different mind-set again, it's honestly mind-blowing when it happens.
Fri 10/09/10 at 14:09
Regular
Thanks on both counts :)

Regarding the third - I think I am feeling my age. I remember when I was of the age when I first saw the He-man movie I would be thinking, "When I grow up" and now I can't think like that - I think I preferred being naive, not knowing what the then-on going Gulf War was about, and thinking the then Chancellor's eye-browse made him look like a tiger.

Still, I now live in a world of Lol-cats and where the previous chancellor looked like a white-haired Mr Bean.
Fri 10/09/10 at 13:29
Regular
"Going nowhere fast"
Firstly, congrats on your marriage last year.
Secondly, congrats on the upcoming birth
Thirdly, hmm... no thirdly yet as I have to get back to work but shame on you for the old fart comment!

*wanders off mumbling something about babies having babies*
Fri 10/09/10 at 12:57
Regular
I've been going through a lot of crazy stuff over the last few months, but am soon going to be a father so I've had to shake myself out of it. In doing so, I've been processing a lot of random thoughts and feelings about my past (mainly my childhood) and thought it would be nice to share them with the *Special Reser... Freeola massive.

I've always had this misconception that the world can be a great place for everyone. This has been drilled into me by good teaching in my primary school and through media. Sure, there are bad things in the world, but if we work together, we can sort it out. Well, that is, if we lived in a perfect world.

My earliest memories of such begin with He-Man and the Masters of the Universe. Adam, son of Eternia, was super-strong as he had the power of good behind him. He was also a little naive and learned lessons on his adventures which were shared with the viewing audience. Part of me wanted to be like He-man when I was a youngster, but alas powerful swords like his don't exist. This didn't stop me enjoying the show, nor the homo-erotic B-movie starring Dolph Lundgren. I still like to think that good can prevail over evil and try to live my life not as someone who thinks they're better than anyone else, but someone who in his own little way can help others and at the very least, to try not to cause any of the troubles that I would hate to face myself.

This trend of TV good vs evil became a pattern throughout my childhood - notably Thundercats, Teenage Mutant Hero Turtles, Power Rangers, Captain Planet, the 1960s Batman series and the recently well discussed Flash Gordon movie. If ever I was play-fighting with my friends in primary school, I always wanted to play the side of the good guys...I was rarely the villain.

I suppose that's what got me into videogames...and the fact I've always enjoyed electronic entertainment. Super Mario fighting to save his love; Link trying to rescue the princess; Sonic trying to save the forest creatures for Dr Robotnik; even Duke Nukem 3D (played at a rather early age) wasn't about the boobies or swearing...it was about saving the world from the alien invaders.

As I've got to my mid-twenties (yep, I've turned into an old fart now) my view on the world has completely changed. I've seen a great online community shrink (which is a great shame) but survive against the odds; I've found the love of my life who I married last year and am soon to become proud parents with, I've suffered depression and near-suicide and I've seen horrors, disasters and atrocities on the news that I'd hope I'd never see. I have faded from fantasizing about being the hero rather to seeing the irony in life. Influenced by TV comedies such as Have I Got News For You, One Foot in the Grave and more recently the greats of Seth McFarlane: Family Guy; American Dad and The Cleveland Show,, books such as HitchHiker's Guide to the Galaxy and the Discworld series, I've learned to accept the world is how it is, and really, its never been any different. Wars have always been fought and Humans have always been selfish. This may make me sound cynical, but all you have to do is look at the history books, watch the news or even read a religious book (whether believing in religion or not).

Maybe it means I've grown up. I don't know, as I still enjoy the elements of my past. Masters of the Universe, Flash Gordon and the likes are still enjoyable to me. Infact the modern hero movies are just as entertaining, whether attempting seriousness like Spider-man or Dark Knight, or going down the comedy route of Kick-Ass. However, I've learned that there are some fights we can't win, as taught in the sci-fi movie series of Terminator. There is always going to be an evil challenging humans, and in that story, no matter what is done to prevent it, mankind causes its own destruction.

There will always be a part of me that looks forward to a bright future. As I've mentioned, first baby on the way and I want what's best for my child. In many years to come, my child may be challenging me to games of Super Mario Kart or watching Flash Gordon with myself. Like my parents before me, I'll be listening to the latest chart music and saying, "The original 20 years ago was better" and maybe I'll even be introducing my child to the random greats of the past such as Jeff Wayne's The War of the Worlds, the original Super Mario Bros and Star Wars. I'll hopefully be teaching my child about things I've lived through and things I've learned along the way. I'll also be teaching my child why the phrase "That'll learn him" grates on me** or the difference between "specific" and "Pacific". But importantly, I hope I'll be teaching my child to enjoy life and to be the best he or she can be.

Whilst going through many life changing experiences recently my opportunities for gaming, TV, internet and so on have been greatly reduced. However I'm sure I will always be a part of this community and will always find the time to play the latest Halo or Zelda games and to natter about random rubbish about them on here.

This is just a small part of the stuff that's gone through my head recently and hope its been of some interest to the regulars here. At the very least, its been a great way for me to process some of my thoughts and feelings and hopefully sparks some random debate...even if it is about the bare-chested furry underpants wearing Dolph Lundgren's appeal to young children...

I feel I should end this with Dringo's common footnote: Here's to the future!

*One day I'll stop this association with what was my favourite online games store...but GAD will always be Gameaday...even if this is a thread that starts with me moving on...
**If you don't know why that grates on me then I suggest you learn what it is to learn.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Many thanks!
You were 100% right - great support!
LOVE it....
You have made it so easy to build & host a website!!!
Gemma

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.