GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"[GAME] Skate 3 – Xbox 360"

The "Retro Game Reviews" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

This thread has been linked to the game 'Skate 3'.
Tue 07/09/10 at 23:26
Regular
"THFC"
[GAME] Skate 3 – Xbox 360

While i am not normally one for skateboarding games, i thought i would give this one a go to see if it could provide some relaxed gaming fun for a few weeks. I have to say that i was not overly impressed with this and it was soon back in the packet going back to LoveFilm. Not saying it is a bad game on all accounts, but just not really my cup of tea.

No real story, just the fact that your a newbie who is trying to make it big, so you have to make your way around a big open city to prove your skills and show off your tricks. As you get bigger and sell more merchandise you will recruit new team members to skate around with and help take part in various events. So nothing new here but the open world is a lot of fun to mess around in and do some fun jumps or make your rider stack it big time and cause some heavy damage!

As with previous Skate games, you use the right stick to control your tricks and flicks, along with balancing grinds and manuals. It is not an easy concept to get used to and i found myself doing simple tricks over and over again, and simple grinds. It really pays off doing all the training. Only after going over it all i found myself being able to attempt more difficult tricks and grinds. Possibly the biggest highlight for me is the voice and cameo by Jason Lee. He acts as your trainer and has some great one liners in the game that made me chuckle. Other big names in skateboarding are in the game, but sadly, as i am not into this sport at all, i did not know any of them and so it had no major thrill for me. But i am sure fans will know of them and enjoy seeing them about and challenging them to races and other game modes.

There are several types of challenges you can take on;
Races- A downhill race where you are by yourself or with your team, having to navigate downhill as fast as possible and stay within the required markers to take first place.

Photos- A stationary photographer has positioned himself in a key spot where you have to complete and jump, grind or trick to be used within a magazine to boost your reputation! They start off easy but they can get pretty hard and frustrating i found.

Competitions- Normally played out in a down or some skate park, where you have several rounds to get the most points and come out on top. Again, without learning the better tricks, this does become a bit of a pain as you will find yourself not really having much of an idea of how to rack up big points.

Meatbag- Can’t recall if this is the correct name for it, but basically you have a set point to skate from and have to cause as much damage as possible to yourself, or hit certain objects by leaving your board. I particularly like this mode and this feature, as when you make a big enough impact you see what damage you do in an X-ray vision and it becomes fun to really try mess your skater up

Sequences- Kind of like photos, but you have to do a set line and make several jumps or grinds etc, you can then use these videos to gain reputation, like in all these modes to get more members and progress in the game!

So that is the basics of the game, you can leave your board at any point to run around, but of course the most fun is had skating around.

Your also able to create skate parks and move objects around to increase the effect of your jumps, tricks and other stunts. A nice little feature that can add difficulty if your finding it easy or your used to the gameplay style and can do with the extra challenge. I however did not spend much time in getting used to everything and found trying to jump in without playing the other games was a bit of a silly move, as it became frustrating and annoying when i could not pull of the big tricks that i wanted to. Skate is very different from the old Tony Hawk games that i enjoyed and i found myself being let down a bit. I guess hardcore fans or the series and of skateboarding will enjoy it and they will find more to the game than i did in the short time i had it, but i would suggest finding something else if your not familiar with it. Might be worth a rent, but i only kept it for about 4 hours of play until i was ready to ship it back.

That said, the graphics are nice, the comedy is good and with time and practise you might find a game that has a lot to offer, but from my overall experience of the game, i will give it a;

Thu 09/09/10 at 03:31
Regular
"THE HALOANATOR :D"
Im sure they will.

Yeah in my opinion concerning skate3 i believe skate 2 is more enjoyable.
Thu 09/09/10 at 01:09
Regular
"THFC"
Haha thanks, any staff members Reading this will hopefully agree!

; )
only messing, there are loads of good posts this week.
Thu 09/09/10 at 00:11
Regular
haha sweet you deserve a prize .
Wed 08/09/10 at 18:59
Regular
"THFC"
Thanks! Been a while since i managed to get some reviews up, but getting back in the swing of things and you can expect some more soon lol
Wed 08/09/10 at 13:48
Regular
A very good review you mentioned good points about the actual game play and game stucture.

I noticed your other reviews to were of high standard too wel done emmie.
Tue 07/09/10 at 23:26
Regular
"THFC"
[GAME] Skate 3 – Xbox 360

While i am not normally one for skateboarding games, i thought i would give this one a go to see if it could provide some relaxed gaming fun for a few weeks. I have to say that i was not overly impressed with this and it was soon back in the packet going back to LoveFilm. Not saying it is a bad game on all accounts, but just not really my cup of tea.

No real story, just the fact that your a newbie who is trying to make it big, so you have to make your way around a big open city to prove your skills and show off your tricks. As you get bigger and sell more merchandise you will recruit new team members to skate around with and help take part in various events. So nothing new here but the open world is a lot of fun to mess around in and do some fun jumps or make your rider stack it big time and cause some heavy damage!

As with previous Skate games, you use the right stick to control your tricks and flicks, along with balancing grinds and manuals. It is not an easy concept to get used to and i found myself doing simple tricks over and over again, and simple grinds. It really pays off doing all the training. Only after going over it all i found myself being able to attempt more difficult tricks and grinds. Possibly the biggest highlight for me is the voice and cameo by Jason Lee. He acts as your trainer and has some great one liners in the game that made me chuckle. Other big names in skateboarding are in the game, but sadly, as i am not into this sport at all, i did not know any of them and so it had no major thrill for me. But i am sure fans will know of them and enjoy seeing them about and challenging them to races and other game modes.

There are several types of challenges you can take on;
Races- A downhill race where you are by yourself or with your team, having to navigate downhill as fast as possible and stay within the required markers to take first place.

Photos- A stationary photographer has positioned himself in a key spot where you have to complete and jump, grind or trick to be used within a magazine to boost your reputation! They start off easy but they can get pretty hard and frustrating i found.

Competitions- Normally played out in a down or some skate park, where you have several rounds to get the most points and come out on top. Again, without learning the better tricks, this does become a bit of a pain as you will find yourself not really having much of an idea of how to rack up big points.

Meatbag- Can’t recall if this is the correct name for it, but basically you have a set point to skate from and have to cause as much damage as possible to yourself, or hit certain objects by leaving your board. I particularly like this mode and this feature, as when you make a big enough impact you see what damage you do in an X-ray vision and it becomes fun to really try mess your skater up

Sequences- Kind of like photos, but you have to do a set line and make several jumps or grinds etc, you can then use these videos to gain reputation, like in all these modes to get more members and progress in the game!

So that is the basics of the game, you can leave your board at any point to run around, but of course the most fun is had skating around.

Your also able to create skate parks and move objects around to increase the effect of your jumps, tricks and other stunts. A nice little feature that can add difficulty if your finding it easy or your used to the gameplay style and can do with the extra challenge. I however did not spend much time in getting used to everything and found trying to jump in without playing the other games was a bit of a silly move, as it became frustrating and annoying when i could not pull of the big tricks that i wanted to. Skate is very different from the old Tony Hawk games that i enjoyed and i found myself being let down a bit. I guess hardcore fans or the series and of skateboarding will enjoy it and they will find more to the game than i did in the short time i had it, but i would suggest finding something else if your not familiar with it. Might be worth a rent, but i only kept it for about 4 hours of play until i was ready to ship it back.

That said, the graphics are nice, the comedy is good and with time and practise you might find a game that has a lot to offer, but from my overall experience of the game, i will give it a;

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Easy and free service!
I think it's fab that you provide an easy-to-follow service, and even better that it's free...!
Cerrie
Best Provider
The best provider I know of, never a problem, recommend highly
Paul

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.