GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Paul Merton in China!"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 22/05/07 at 08:30
Regular
"8==="
Beijing:

His taxi driver seemed to have just come from the country and took 1h 40 mins to find the hotel finally using Merton's mobile phone (at the insistence of Merton who'd already called th ehotel for him) to findout where the hell it was!

There's bug on sticks in the market... DEEP FRIED SCORPIONS!

Then his guide takes him to a place serving donkey's pen][s. Followed by snake's pen][s(es - they have two apparently). Then sheep's pen][s...

-End of first day-

Loads of police and CCTV camera and the military in Tiananmen Square, scary stuff. Pauls meets his guide there and she wants them to leave quickly, yes she's that scared of the authoritites, scary stuff.

Boom-boxing street youths! Singing about chinese food because they can't do radical lyrics.

Then Merton pulls the team offtrack by insisting they go and see a farmer who builds robots, these turn out to be the sort of little things you'd see at the primary school robot olympics on BBC 2, pretty cool though considering they were all made from scrap from the local heap. Although he did manage to burn down his whole house whilst making one of them!

Then he wheels out the fullsize robot-pulled rickshaw! Very cool. And there's a mini one for the kids!

Most of the currently being built buildings are going to be empty and are just for show for the olympics to make Beijing look modern. :S

Then he goes to an english class being taught by an American. Looks like a load of the class will be evicted from the homes as the place is re-developed for the olympics. :(

57,000 people in the area and the teacher's the only westerner and he's watched like a hawk.

Unsurprisingly basic conditions for the teacher, he lives there because he wants to see the old China before it disappears. Merton thinks it's a shame they're destroying these old communities with the re-development. I have to agree with him.

---------------------

Then they go to the rather odd building 'Chateau' that's based upon a huge french hotel, he gets upgraded to room 666. 6 is a lucky number over there. :)

The place is huge and nobody's about.

Merton finds his room and the ceilings are either very high or very low, it's huge and according to Merton 'horrendous'.

The whole place only cost $50 mill.

Merton finds out his rooms above the dance hall and he's woken by Karaoke, he goes down to get it turned down and gets dragged into it all. This all really weird!

---------------------

Next Merton goes to Henan and has to go into a horrible rundown hotel that smells of vomit and who's foyer doesn't have, well, a floor.

Huge picture of Stalin at the local worker co-operative commune! :D

Communist noodle making! And the Government officals on the tour with them don't want to elaborate. Why do you have to go on a tour to go see a communist family? The officals runaway from Merton's tour for another one. :D

Selt criticism classes... women sterilised after childbirth...

Big Camel.

End of.

---------------------

Next week: Kung-fu training!

---------------------

So did anyone else catch it? Looks like it;s shaping up to be a great little series!
Tue 05/06/07 at 12:41
Regular
"8==="
Didn't think much of last night's one. It was ok.
Tue 05/06/07 at 10:31
Regular
"WhaleOilBeefHooked"
I caught a bit of this last night, the Fawlty Towers bit and when the doctor diagnosed his illness as diarrhea after he had spent time describing the fact he had diarrhea made me smile.
Sun 03/06/07 at 22:48
Regular
Yeah it probably wont but still cant blame them for wanting to do it again ^^ would love to do something like that. Well maybe in a car instead ;)
Sun 03/06/07 at 22:43
Regular
They are doing another one, it's being filmed as we speak ... it's called 'Long Way Down' ... starting at John O'Groates in the north of Scotland and finishing in Cape Town in South Africa ... should be another beast ... though I don't think they can top the feat of riding all the way around the world ...
Sun 03/06/07 at 22:39
Regular
I've been wanting to watch that, but it was on Sky =(

I'm not sure but I think they wanted to do another one.
Sun 03/06/07 at 22:37
Regular
Aye ... all good stuff ... another fave is 'Long Way Round' with Ewan Mcgregor and his mate Charlie Boreman. Keep meaning to get the extended 10 episode edition and get rid of my old 6 episode one ...
Sun 03/06/07 at 22:33
Regular
Why watch Ray Mears and not go off travelling to the wilderness Borat? =) You need to gather everything you've learnt and go out and prove that you can survive too. I'd love to do some real camping in America. No one around for miles, only bears.

Remember if it's a black bear stay still and pretend to be dead. Or is that the grizzly bear =/ I forget. Well you better know as one of them will be fooled while the other wont and will kill you within seconds.

Wait till the bring out Michael Palin in high definition =) that'll push your savings back even more. I mean it'll look so realistic it'll be as if you're on the Himalayians with Palin too.
Sun 03/06/07 at 22:22
Regular
Heh, nice try but I'll have to decline ... though I could do to go through all my DVDs and get rid of the stuff I don't watch ... which is most of them.

Instead of getting rid I just keep buying the damn things though :S

My boxsets I'll always keep though ... Palin, Band of Brothers, Father Ted, Ray Mears etc etc.
Sun 03/06/07 at 22:19
Regular
oh you have it do you Borat? *evil grin* you know at your age you really should be living on your own. How about I take it off your hands for a tenner and that'll get you one step closer to your dreams of independance (day) >=) shall we call it a deal?
Sun 03/06/07 at 22:16
Regular
It must have come way down in price now ... cost me 60 nicker when it was released ... well worth it though I reckon ... 36 hours of Palin ... perfect sunday morning viewing ... :)

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Thank you very much for your help!
Top service for free - excellent - thank you very much for your help.
Continue this excellent work...
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do, I am delighted.

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.