GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"SR's Website - How About....?"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sat 24/11/01 at 08:02
Regular
...putting the user ratings on reviews to good use? Currently, the charts on SR's website "are based on Special Reserve sales (including back orders) via mail order, shops and this internet site."

Which is a good indicator of what the mainstream public are buying. But what about the avid gamers, us lot? If we take the time to submit a decent review and rate a product, surely that rating should be given a bit more weight than basing charts on what joe bloggs is buying?

I for one would value the opinion of gamers rather than the value of unit sales as an indication of how good a game is, so my suggestion would be to have ANOTHER charts page compiled on user ratings.

Easy for me to suggest, it might be another thing altogether to actually code it, but YOU KNOW it would be a good thing, surely?
Sat 24/11/01 at 21:06
Regular
"Fat Red-Capped Vale"
Not a bad idea, but the results could be altered by a biased review, from one-liners to essays on why so-and-so is much better than this. It could be good for us, as a chat forum, but not for the general public, or Special Reserve themselves, as this would only see the opinions of a few people.

Firebalt.
Sat 24/11/01 at 19:29
Regular
Is there some sort of protection against idiots reviewing games? I mean, I could go to a Zelda page, and as a "biased" Sony supporter, I could review the game, and give it 1/10, which would take the average down.

If the charts were based on this, things would swiftly become a competition to post the most number of reviews with a low score on other console`s games.
Sat 24/11/01 at 19:23
Regular
"Excommunicated"
Here Here

Good Idea

Mind you it was you that said and it has been backed up by myself and Grix...

Doesn't say much, eh?

:D

hehe
Sat 24/11/01 at 18:22
Regular
Great idea, I think. It would be interesting to compare the two, too.

But would people buy games because of what WE say?

I think they would.
Sat 24/11/01 at 08:02
Regular
"Copyright: FM Inc."
...putting the user ratings on reviews to good use? Currently, the charts on SR's website "are based on Special Reserve sales (including back orders) via mail order, shops and this internet site."

Which is a good indicator of what the mainstream public are buying. But what about the avid gamers, us lot? If we take the time to submit a decent review and rate a product, surely that rating should be given a bit more weight than basing charts on what joe bloggs is buying?

I for one would value the opinion of gamers rather than the value of unit sales as an indication of how good a game is, so my suggestion would be to have ANOTHER charts page compiled on user ratings.

Easy for me to suggest, it might be another thing altogether to actually code it, but YOU KNOW it would be a good thing, surely?

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

10/10
Over the years I've become very jaded after many bad experiences with customer services, you have bucked the trend. Polite and efficient from the Freeola team, well done to all involved.
Everybody thinks I am an IT genius...
Nothing but admiration. I have been complimented on the church site that I manage through you and everybody thinks I am an IT genius. Your support is unquestionably outstanding.
Brian

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.