GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
""Not Actual Gameplay""

The "Sony Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 06/09/10 at 01:53
Regular
"Zebra Three 537-ONN"
Whenever I watch a game being advertised on TV now, the majority of them don't show actual gameplay footage. Most recent culprits being Mafia 2 and Halo Reach.

Now I understand the need for these games to look impressive and to catch the viewers attention, but surely this just leads to disappointment for some people when they actually get round to finding proper footage?

I also take into consideration that these ads do state they are not showing actual gameplay, and we as experienced gamers always know when the video is not in-game, but what about those that are less experienced and are looking for a nice gift for a relative. I think these people will feel quite peeved off after actually seeing what they have went and bought.

I think all game adverts should include at least some actual gameplay footage, dont you?
Sat 19/02/11 at 04:00
"The Videogame King"
Commercials should show more actual game footage. If their is a commercial for a racing game like a game from the Burnout series I would love to see some actual in-game crash 'n' smash footage.
Wed 01/12/10 at 19:09
Regular
GT5 lost my interest based on 'Actual ingame footage'

I've never successfully played a racing game using a camera from the perspective of someone floating in the air looking back at the car...

It may represent the graphics, but not the gameplay itself.

Ofcourse, we're a fickle bunch as gamers and only care about the gwafix!
Wed 01/12/10 at 16:29
Regular
"And in last place.."
For me, an advert has to include some gameplay footage or it loses my interest. i've seen the Halo Reach advert a few times, no gameplay footage and not the most interesting of adverts either. It is only likely to appeal to fans and they are more than likely aware of the game anyway.
Wed 01/12/10 at 07:31
"possibly impossible"
Another issue is that if you showed in-game footage on TV from many games you'd be restricted by what time of day you could show it.

Ideally, you'd want a good mix of both to entice people to buy the game and to show off the graphics.
Tue 30/11/10 at 11:28
Regular
"Tip The Scales"
I think sometimes gameplay itself doesn't translate well to a trailer which is why they don't actually use it, but graphically there isn't really a problem.

What amused me the other day was seeing "Actual Gameplay Footage" on an advert. That was, of course, for Gran Turismo 5.
Tue 30/11/10 at 11:21
Regular
"Dango Daikazoku"
Impulse buying can SOMETIMES be good. I got 'Dark Cloud' without knowing anything about it, and was glad I was when I started playing. Everyone has different experiences of a game I guess ^^

The trailer I remember well latrely is Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood, but that could be largly because of Tobuscus: "Oooh I like birds"
Tue 07/09/10 at 18:06
Regular
"How Ironic"
Ah, but I've played FIFA and CoD for years, and have never based buying them on their trailers, but rather out of habit :)
Tue 07/09/10 at 17:33
Regular
"8==="
Thanks to youtube you can now see in game footage pretty easily.

This is no longer an issue, apart from people who do no research whatsoever and may aswell be buying games from a store based on how cool the cover looks. Apparently the majority of gamers still do that but hey, people are idiots.
Tue 07/09/10 at 09:57
Staff Moderator
"Freeola Ltd"
Sonic Chris wrote:
> so what do I learn from a game
> trailer that doesn't have any footage of gameplay in? Absolutely
> nothing, except stay away from it.

Odd 'cos im sure two of your most played games are Fifa 10 and MW2 :P
Tue 07/09/10 at 09:29
Regular
"And in last place.."
In complete agreement. With the capability of these current machines there is no excuse for not showing the gameplay.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Wonderful...
... and so easy-to-use even for a technophobe like me. I had my website up in a couple of hours. Thank you.
Vivien
Everybody thinks I am an IT genius...
Nothing but admiration. I have been complimented on the church site that I manage through you and everybody thinks I am an IT genius. Your support is unquestionably outstanding.
Brian

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.