GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"I laugh in the face of Xbox!"

The "Sony Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Fri 23/11/01 at 22:09
Regular
Alright, Bill Gates' a legend (let me just mention that first), but who the hell do Xbox think they are? They think they can just cruise their way into our industry and try and take it over - I don't think so! Sorry Microsoft, but it just isn't that easy. In order to really impress on your debut you must out-show Playstation2 and GameCube, which at the moment is looking very unlikely.

Check out the stats:

Playstation 2 was released a year ago tomorrow and already it has sold thousands or even millions all around the world. Due to their success they found it neccessary to reduce the price of their console so more people could afford it (if they couldn't already).
24th of November 2000 was a memorable day for everyone. It was the sunrise of true gaming, it was the day PS2 finally launched. With it came sensational graphics, but not neccessarily new gameplay. Release titles like SSX, ISS and Tekken Tag were highly preferred than others mainly because they produced some new elements. Later, DOA2 demonstrated the real definition of a beat-em-up to the king of iron fist tournament - Tekken - with fast-paced, non-stop action and a lot of in-depth. More beat-em-ups like this please!
Many peripherals also came at hand to the delight of many fans. Although they're pretty expensive they seemed to create a lot more enjoyment when playing, especially multi-playing. The PS2 (8mb) memory card allowed more room for game saves and the pads felt very comfortable in hand.

Time has passed from PS2's launch and since then we've seen a lot of improvements and features:

Online gaming is now available thanks to the new broadband system, plus keyboards and mouses are also available to use whilst online. Still, we are yet to see a dedicated RPG game that'll suit this online capability, perfectly! Say FF10?!

There are loads and loads of extra add-ons for all the lucky PS2 owners out there. The mighty SubWoofer system gives a devastating effect with surround sound functions and real sound effects. Also there's the new Olympus eye-trek glasses - very futuristic and stylish. You place it around the eyes and VWALLA, your vision of the game seems like you're actually in the game. Such great features like these have attracted lots more buyers and PS2 is looking more of a futuristic console than ever before.

Now for the most important element needed for console success, GAMES!!! As I mentioned earlier, PS2 didn't really deliver games to reach half its potential on launch day, but at last we've seen games sail in from the deep horizon, bringing with it joy and relief. GT3, Onimusha, WWF Smackdown:JBI, GTA3 and now Pro Evolution Soccer have all arrived and at last PS2 criticisers can be silenced. Plus, with the release of further games like the fantastic Devil May Cry, MGS2, FF10, Jak and Daxter, and the ausumn FPS, James Bond:AUF, PS2 has begun its late start to revolutionary games, which it promised to deliver way back!

PS2's a huge contender and it's still got a lot more tricks up its sleeves so why do people doubt it? Strange!

Nintendo has had a worthy make-over with their new GameCube, which has moved up a level to running discs instead of the old-fashioned cartridges. GameCube seems to be the favourite for the next line-up of next-gen consoles, and it's no surprise why! This cube-shaped console is tiny, and it even includes a handle so it can be easily carried about (with great care). How thoughtful of Nintendo - and GameCube's capabilities are really breathtaking! Amazingly, it can produce six to twelve million polygons per second and has a super-fast clock frequency of 405MHz, so just imagine the on-screen display and all the possibilities it has to create many powerful games – it’s endless!
The Nintendo GameCube is set for a spring 2002 release, lucky Japan and USA already have theirs. But I'm sure it'll be worth the wait with games like Super Smash Bros. Melee, Wave Race, the fantastic Luigi's mansion, the huge Miyamoto invention Pikmin and the massive Star Fox Adventure. All these games should be available by launch day, so prepare to be amazed!
Everything about the GameCube is brilliant. The pads are really comfortable with added cushion feel, memory cards can hold up to 16mb of memory and all the games look and (I'm sure) are a charm to play. There's no doubt that online capabilities will be introduced on this console very soon, and with all this noticable, suspense is right now playing a huge part in GameCube's already known success.

Now with all this in hand what chance does Xbox really have of taking the console crown. It's new to the industry and Microsoft aren't really the best when it comes to games, and even though they made several surveys in certain states of America to see what kind of games people like, not enough assurance is there to keep us anticipated. And what do they know about games anyway? All they seem to talk about is speed and power! Wake up Microsoft we want information on your games for your console not repeated facts on its capabilities.

Good luck to Xbox, they're really going to need it!

Thanks for reading
Tue 27/11/01 at 13:46
Regular
"Tag as above"
No, its burnout, and I know what your both saysing.

Burnouts graphics are a little blocky, but if you saw the speed it moved at you'd see why.
Tue 27/11/01 at 13:34
Regular
"MSR Rules"
WòókieeMøn§†€® wrote:
> Burnout looking like a PS1 game? You need an eye-test! ;-)

Granted it's not
> GT3 standard, but it's an arcade racer, not a simulation. It's blindingly fast,
> and hugely addictive.

Ok then maybe it was something else, you could jump and flip a car in it.
Anyway my point is that if they want to attract more people then they should advertise the better games.
Tue 27/11/01 at 11:00
Triple_H wrote:
> I dont even know what Halo is. Can anyone enlighten me?

It got a perfect 10 from Edge Magazine apparently!

And the argument people are giving that "it is coming to pc" is like the "GTA3 is coming to pc" argument. i.e. In a years time when noone will care.
Tue 27/11/01 at 10:36
"High polygon count"
Burnout looking like a PS1 game? You need an eye-test! ;-)

Granted it's not GT3 standard, but it's an arcade racer, not a simulation. It's blindingly fast, and hugely addictive.
Tue 27/11/01 at 10:27
Regular
"MSR Rules"
I was watching the TV last night.
A commercial came on for a PS2 racing game, at first i thought " another PS1 racing game". But nooooo.
It was probably the worst quality PS2 game available, i think it was Burnout.
This might offend some people but i honestly thought it was a PS1 game.

If Sony are going to beat off the GC and X-Box then they need to vet which games are advertised and which are not.

On this evidence, and if i didnt know better, i would not touch the PS2 with a bargepole.
Mon 26/11/01 at 13:23
Regular
"~SRS~humpo"
Tyla wrote:
> An interesting report on the XBOX by a chip manufacturer in the USA stated that
> the Pentium III architecture made the XBOX no more than a cut down PC and that
> after benchmark testing against the PS2 and GCN, it was proven that the XBOX
> cannot pull off the specs that MS said it could do!!

I will return with the
> official reprt soon!!

is soon quite soon
Mon 26/11/01 at 12:56
X box isn't as good as the PS2 its crap
Mon 26/11/01 at 12:37
Regular
"l33t cs50r"
An interesting report on the XBOX by a chip manufacturer in the USA stated that the Pentium III architecture made the XBOX no more than a cut down PC and that after benchmark testing against the PS2 and GCN, it was proven that the XBOX cannot pull off the specs that MS said it could do!!

I will return with the official reprt soon!!
Mon 26/11/01 at 11:28
It's been cancelled for PS2, Bill's money strikes again. Here are the alternatives;

Munch's Oddysee - Got bad marks on IGN. A 5.0 for gameplay and a 6 for replayability - not too good for a game. Not to worry while Jak and Daxter are in da house!

Halo - Coming to PC.

Dead or Alive 3 - Amazing graphics... but nothing missed compared to DOA2, which we got on launch day.
Sun 25/11/01 at 18:34
Regular
"Touched!"
Kid Rock wrote:
> Halo is coming out for PS2 as well as XBOX!!!!!!!!

I would love to see the truth in that.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

10/10
Over the years I've become very jaded after many bad experiences with customer services, you have bucked the trend. Polite and efficient from the Freeola team, well done to all involved.
Wonderful...
... and so easy-to-use even for a technophobe like me. I had my website up in a couple of hours. Thank you.
Vivien

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.