GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"I laugh in the face of Xbox!"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Fri 23/11/01 at 21:57
Regular
Alright, Bill Gates' a legend (let me just mention that first), but who the hell do Xbox think they are? They think they can just cruise their way into our industry and try and take it over - I don't think so! Sorry Microsoft, but it just isn't that easy. In order to really impress on your debut you must out-show Playstation2 and GameCube, which at the moment is looking very unlikely.

Check out the stats:

Playstation 2 was released a year ago tomorrow and already it has sold thousands or even millions all around the world. Due to their success they found it neccessary to reduce the price of their console so more people could afford it (if they couldn't already).
24th of November 2000 was a memorable day for everyone. It was the sunrise of true gaming, it was the day PS2 finally launched. With it came sensational graphics, but not neccessarily new gameplay. Release titles like SSX, ISS and Tekken Tag were highly preferred than others mainly because they produced some new elements. Later, DOA2 demonstrated the real definition of a beat-em-up to the king of iron fist tournament - Tekken - with fast-paced, non-stop action and a lot of in-depth. More beat-em-ups like this please!
Many peripherals also came at hand to the delight of many fans. Although they're pretty expensive they seemed to create a lot more enjoyment when playing, especially multi-playing. The PS2 (8mb) memory card allowed more room for game saves and the pads felt very comfortable in hand.

Time has passed from PS2's launch and since then we've seen a lot of improvements and features:

Online gaming is now available thanks to the new broadband system, plus keyboards and mouses are also available to use whilst online. Still, we are yet to see a dedicated RPG game that'll suit this online capability, perfectly! Say FF10?!

There are loads and loads of extra add-ons for all the lucky PS2 owners out there. The mighty SubWoofer system gives a devastating effect with surround sound functions and real sound effects. Also there's the new Olympus eye-trek glasses - very futuristic and stylish. You place it around the eyes and VWALLA, your vision of the game seems like you're actually in the game. Such great features like these have attracted lots more buyers and PS2 is looking more of a futuristic console than ever before.

Now for the most important element needed for console success, GAMES!!! As I mentioned earlier, PS2 didn't really deliver games to reach half its potential on launch day, but at last we've seen games sail in from the deep horizon, bringing with it joy and relief. GT3, Onimusha, WWF Smackdown:JBI, GTA3 and now Pro Evolution Soccer have all arrived and at last PS2 criticisers can be silenced. Plus, with the release of further games like the fantastic Devil May Cry, MGS2, FF10, Jak and Daxter, and the ausumn FPS, James Bond:AUF, PS2 has begun its late start to revolutionary games, which it promised to deliver way back!

PS2's a huge contender and it's still got a lot more tricks up its sleeves so why do people doubt it? Strange!

Nintendo has had a worthy make-over with their new GameCube, which has moved up a level to running discs instead of the old-fashioned cartridges. GameCube seems to be the favourite for the next line-up of next-gen consoles, and it's no surprise why! This cube-shaped console is tiny, and it even includes a handle so it can be easily carried about (with great care). How thoughtful of Nintendo - and GameCube's capabilities are really breathtaking! Amazingly, it can produce six to twelve million polygons per second and has a super-fast clock frequency of 405MHz, so just imagine the on-screen display and all the possibilities it has to create many powerful games – it’s endless!
The Nintendo GameCube is set for a spring 2002 release, lucky Japan and USA already have theirs. But I'm sure it'll be worth the wait with games like Super Smash Bros. Melee, Wave Race, the fantastic Luigi's mansion, the huge Miyamoto invention Pikmin and the massive Star Fox Adventure. All these games should be available by launch day, so prepare to be amazed!
Everything about the GameCube is brilliant. The pads are really comfortable with added cushion feel, memory cards can hold up to 16mb of memory and all the games look and (I'm sure) are a charm to play. There's no doubt that online capabilities will be introduced on this console very soon, and with all this noticable, suspense is right now playing a huge part in GameCube's already known success.

Now with all this in hand what chance does Xbox really have of taking the console crown. It's new to the industry and Microsoft aren't really the best when it comes to games, and even though they made several surveys in certain states of America to see what kind of games people like, not enough assurance is there to keep us anticipated. And what do they know about games anyway? All they seem to talk about is speed and power! Wake up Microsoft we want information on your games for your console not repeated facts on its capabilities.

Good luck to Xbox, they're really going to need it!

Thanks for reading
Fri 23/11/01 at 21:57
Regular
"Being Ignorant"
Alright, Bill Gates' a legend (let me just mention that first), but who the hell do Xbox think they are? They think they can just cruise their way into our industry and try and take it over - I don't think so! Sorry Microsoft, but it just isn't that easy. In order to really impress on your debut you must out-show Playstation2 and GameCube, which at the moment is looking very unlikely.

Check out the stats:

Playstation 2 was released a year ago tomorrow and already it has sold thousands or even millions all around the world. Due to their success they found it neccessary to reduce the price of their console so more people could afford it (if they couldn't already).
24th of November 2000 was a memorable day for everyone. It was the sunrise of true gaming, it was the day PS2 finally launched. With it came sensational graphics, but not neccessarily new gameplay. Release titles like SSX, ISS and Tekken Tag were highly preferred than others mainly because they produced some new elements. Later, DOA2 demonstrated the real definition of a beat-em-up to the king of iron fist tournament - Tekken - with fast-paced, non-stop action and a lot of in-depth. More beat-em-ups like this please!
Many peripherals also came at hand to the delight of many fans. Although they're pretty expensive they seemed to create a lot more enjoyment when playing, especially multi-playing. The PS2 (8mb) memory card allowed more room for game saves and the pads felt very comfortable in hand.

Time has passed from PS2's launch and since then we've seen a lot of improvements and features:

Online gaming is now available thanks to the new broadband system, plus keyboards and mouses are also available to use whilst online. Still, we are yet to see a dedicated RPG game that'll suit this online capability, perfectly! Say FF10?!

There are loads and loads of extra add-ons for all the lucky PS2 owners out there. The mighty SubWoofer system gives a devastating effect with surround sound functions and real sound effects. Also there's the new Olympus eye-trek glasses - very futuristic and stylish. You place it around the eyes and VWALLA, your vision of the game seems like you're actually in the game. Such great features like these have attracted lots more buyers and PS2 is looking more of a futuristic console than ever before.

Now for the most important element needed for console success, GAMES!!! As I mentioned earlier, PS2 didn't really deliver games to reach half its potential on launch day, but at last we've seen games sail in from the deep horizon, bringing with it joy and relief. GT3, Onimusha, WWF Smackdown:JBI, GTA3 and now Pro Evolution Soccer have all arrived and at last PS2 criticisers can be silenced. Plus, with the release of further games like the fantastic Devil May Cry, MGS2, FF10, Jak and Daxter, and the ausumn FPS, James Bond:AUF, PS2 has begun its late start to revolutionary games, which it promised to deliver way back!

PS2's a huge contender and it's still got a lot more tricks up its sleeves so why do people doubt it? Strange!

Nintendo has had a worthy make-over with their new GameCube, which has moved up a level to running discs instead of the old-fashioned cartridges. GameCube seems to be the favourite for the next line-up of next-gen consoles, and it's no surprise why! This cube-shaped console is tiny, and it even includes a handle so it can be easily carried about (with great care). How thoughtful of Nintendo - and GameCube's capabilities are really breathtaking! Amazingly, it can produce six to twelve million polygons per second and has a super-fast clock frequency of 405MHz, so just imagine the on-screen display and all the possibilities it has to create many powerful games – it’s endless!
The Nintendo GameCube is set for a spring 2002 release, lucky Japan and USA already have theirs. But I'm sure it'll be worth the wait with games like Super Smash Bros. Melee, Wave Race, the fantastic Luigi's mansion, the huge Miyamoto invention Pikmin and the massive Star Fox Adventure. All these games should be available by launch day, so prepare to be amazed!
Everything about the GameCube is brilliant. The pads are really comfortable with added cushion feel, memory cards can hold up to 16mb of memory and all the games look and (I'm sure) are a charm to play. There's no doubt that online capabilities will be introduced on this console very soon, and with all this noticable, suspense is right now playing a huge part in GameCube's already known success.

Now with all this in hand what chance does Xbox really have of taking the console crown. It's new to the industry and Microsoft aren't really the best when it comes to games, and even though they made several surveys in certain states of America to see what kind of games people like, not enough assurance is there to keep us anticipated. And what do they know about games anyway? All they seem to talk about is speed and power! Wake up Microsoft we want information on your games for your console not repeated facts on its capabilities.

Good luck to Xbox, they're really going to need it!

Thanks for reading
Fri 23/11/01 at 22:16
Regular
You make some good points. I believe that the PS2 has sold 20million units world wide to date, I think.

But I think I need to put my view forward on a couple of points.

Mainly:

Microsoft won't sell as many units as Sony. Simple as that, Sony have too much of a lead. The PS2 and XBox are too much alike. Both play DVD's, both have similar styles of game. What I'm saying is, I can see people owning a PS2 and a 'Cube, or an XBox and a 'Cube, but few people will own a PS2 and an XBox.

However, just because MS don't sell as many units as Sony, won't make the XBox a failure - far from it in fact. The industry is big enough for the both of them. Gaming is now large enough world wide, for two similar consoles.

MS and a number of other companies have put too much money into the XBox as a project for it to fail.

They will be a number of classic titles released on the XBox to keep most gamers happy for the consoles life. With over 150 developers, 19 games at the US launch (I think, off the top of my head) and something like another 30 games out over the following month, there will be titles for fans of all genres.

One of the reasons I suspect that XBox will do better than everyone else seems to think, is because of Sega.

One of Sega's biggest franchises is going to the Xbox: Shenmue. Does it not seem *slightly* coincendtal that Sega US cancelled the release of Shenmue 2, only to have the XBox release date set at next Summer, only a couple of months after the last DC is released?

There are 10 million DC owners out there who, come next summer, will not have any new games coming out for their system. Some, like myself, will have bought a PS2. But that still leaves a large number of people who, for whatever reason, won't buy a PS2, but will wait for an XBox.

To sum up:

If you are looking at MS to sell more units of the XBox than Sony has the PS2, then they will fail.

However, if you are looking at MS to become a credible name in the console market I, and some 150+ developers, believe they will be a success.
Fri 23/11/01 at 22:24
Regular
"---SOULJACKER---"
Well, Xbox will NOT play DVDs out of the box... u will need an additional pack for that. But what Xbox will do is incorporate a modem and hardrive as standard.

Anyway, back to the point:

I agree with YH. Every industry analyst has been saying that Xbox will not have a majority share of the market- that will be left to Sony. However, the Xbox will no doubt sell more units than the GC, simply due to the heavy advertising and different target market.

Neither of these things make the console a success of failure. The DC was a success in terms of its games, however, it was a failure due to its sales.

So, I expect to see MS making a big claim to the console market. They won't conquer it (just yet ;) but they will certainly be amoungst the big players.

Sonic
Fri 23/11/01 at 22:54
Regular
"Jags is teh l33t"
actually to my knoelege nintendo have shifted 600k GCS compared to microsotfs 300k

although we need some reliable facts here
Fri 23/11/01 at 23:53
Regular
Lord Semajal wrote:

in the distant furture
talking monkeys will rule the planet and humans will be their damn dirty slaves
Sat 24/11/01 at 00:08
Regular
X-box has a face??? I'm getting one now!
Sat 24/11/01 at 00:48
Regular
"Being Ignorant"
Dr. ingo wrote:
> X-box has a face??? I'm getting one now!

It's fat and ugly with a huge, untrendy 'X' stuck right in the middle!

I'm surprised at your comments. I thought that most of you were more keen on the GameCube than Xbox.

GameCube WILL sell more. It's cheaper (£100 in fact) than the Xbox and for such a low price compared to console prices today, we do get a lot more than we bargained for!
Sat 24/11/01 at 07:43
Regular
"++ Anti Antler ++"
Well, on acount of it having far mor power in most ways, and developers rushing to make games for it, there really is only one thing I can say, "The futures a letter, the future's X".
Sat 24/11/01 at 15:30
Regular
"---SOULJACKER---"
Lord Semajal wrote:
> actually to my knoelege nintendo have shifted 600k GCS compared to microsotfs
> 300k

remember, gc is on sale in 2 continents... xbox in only one.

Sonic
Sat 24/11/01 at 15:33
"period drama"
no! not the green 'X'.

RUN CHILDREN! RUN TO THE HILLS!

it's not safe while the 'X' is loose!

it'll hypnotise you with it's evil greenness.

DON'T LOOK AT IT!
SAVE YOURSELF!
GET AWAY WHILE YOU STILL CAN!

ARGGHHHH! IT'S COMING!

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Impressive control panel
I have to say that I'm impressed with the features available having logged on... Loads of info - excellent.
Phil
My website looks tremendous!
Fantastic site, easy to follow, simple guides... impressed with whole package. My website looks tremendous. You don't need to be a rocket scientist to set this up, Freeola helps you step-by-step.
Susan

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.