GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Sum 41 CD Review"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Fri 23/11/01 at 20:55
Regular
I heard "Rhythms" by Sum 41 on a CD sampler and instantly was attracted to their energy and melodic style of punk. So, because I think I'm addicted to all things musical, I went out and bought the album "All Killer, No Filler".

From the outset you can tell these Canadian Punkers have a prominent sense of humour, much emphasised in the first track which is basically a spoof intro, as seen on CD's like Smash and Ixnay on the Hombre by the Offspring.

"Nothing On My Back" is one of those storming tracks that can get stuck in your head for days and days without you even realising it, and by the end of it you just want to hear the track again or you swear you'll go crazy. Maybe that's just me...
"Never Wake Up" is all of 50 seconds long, right on guys, way to be punk. Apparently it’s about never waking up, now I'm sure there is a deeper meaning in here somewhere...

"Fat Lip" just plain rocks, and that's the honest truth. I dare anyone to listen to this song and not want to just jump around and get all that anger out! Therapy you might say. All the band members take a turn at singing this song, and the line "I don't wanna waste my time, become another casualty of society" just totally appeals. A very funny video too!

"Rhythms" is more rhythmic you might say, melodic, another jump around the room tune, less paced but still incredibly fast. I think they should release this for sure.

"Motivation" speaks of their despair of never being bothered to do anything, something we are all familiar with. Another sing-a-long rock-a-long teenage 'hate my life' song. Gotta love 'em.

"In Too Deep" slows it down, starts like a blooming Sugar Ray song - picture yourself on a beach time. It talks about a slightly lovelorn relationship, and I guessed that this would eventually become a single, as it seemed slightly more commercial than the rest of the album.

"Summer" is just one of those tracks, not outstanding, yet not total rubbish, angry and full of laid back, punky, Californian "whoas". Well, where would be without them, huh?

"Handle This" is pretty darn funky, it's got of those hooks that you catch on to very quickly, makes me smile, not that's its meant to, because its angry, of course!

"Crazy Amanda Bunkface" wins the title for most ridiculous song name, but not award for best song. It kind of merges in, same old, same old, jump around material.

"All She's Got" fast paced, rock out, not much else to say.

"Heart Attack" I love. A brilliant intro, totally cool build up, and the chorus that just appears from nowhere, screams in your face and ends with a funky little ditty. A song about the perils of getting up - oh yes! This song redeems them from any mediocre songs.

"Pain For Pleasure" is a humorous 80's metal p*ss take. I think the drummer sings it, and actually the guitar parts are kinda cool - I didn't just say that did I? It's without a doubt a funny end to an album.

Sum 41 sometimes appear to be trying too hard to be that band they want to be, but I think that their next album will problem get them there. Still this album is a whole lot of fun, and at times it just totally rules, worth buying for the humour and "Fat Lip". Much heavier than their contemporise such as Blink 182 and New Found Glory, but if they must be called "Punk Pop", it's Punk Pop with a huge dangerous sharp edge. A very promising future for Sum 41 I think! Worth a listen if you feel like the kids aren't alright!

Firebalt.
Tue 22/01/02 at 17:57
Regular
"Formally:Ev][L~DarK"
yep ;D
Tue 22/01/02 at 17:48
Regular
so no one has their half hour of power album?
and you call yourself fans
Tue 22/01/02 at 17:44
Firebalt wrote: I heard "Rhythms" by Sum 41 on a CD sampler and instantly was attracted to their energy and melodic style of punk. So, because I think I'm addicted to all things musical, I went out and bought the album "All Killer, No Filler".

HHmmm...i knew you then and you talked about getting it , but you never did ? , you still havent now as far as i know.Was this another lie from when you was firebalt ?
Mon 21/01/02 at 09:30
Craw wrote:
> Did firebalt get banned for liking Sum 41?

LOL!
Mon 21/01/02 at 09:16
Regular
"Acid Casual"
Did firebalt get banned for liking Sum 41?
Mon 21/01/02 at 07:47
Tiltawhirl wrote:
> Citzen Erazed wrote:
I'm off to the sack.

Whatever turns you on.

To my simple and feeble mind that implies no innuendos, especially sexual ones, so what do you mean? Gah well! I meant my bed! :) Sum 41 do some decent songs, but I'm not overly keen on them.

"And this got popped why?"

That's what I want to know. Twas all MC's fault! :P

"Well, good not and god speed"

I said that!? Cor, I must have been tired! Come on you lazy lot, get outta bed! If you're going to school, that's a different matter, of course :) Teacher Training Day today! :)

Citzen
Mon 21/01/02 at 07:41
Regular
And this got popped why?
Mon 21/01/02 at 01:21
Regular
"I'm you + 1!"
Sum 41 are a great band!

In Too Deep is probably my most favourite song of theirs, i'm glad you like it.
Mon 21/01/02 at 01:04
Regular
Does anyone have the "Half Hour of Power" album?
Sun 20/01/02 at 23:51
Regular
Citzen Erazed wrote:
I'm off to the sack.

Whatever turns you on.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

The coolest ISP ever!
In my opinion, the ISP is the best I have ever used. They guarantee 'first time connection - everytime', which they have never let me down on.
Top-notch internet service
Excellent internet service and customer service. Top-notch in replying to my comments.
Duncan

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.