GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Retard / Enslaved"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sun 20/05/07 at 17:08
Regular
I have an old dance compilation from 1999 that I still sometimes listen to.
Disc 1 is lame and pop-inclined, but disc 2 is absolutely classic trance. Bar about 3 tracks, there's nothing below supurb on there.

As with most double CDs, getting into the disc 2 space is a mither, involving opening the case one way, then folding out again the other way.

I was just changing the CD in my stereo from said disc 2 to another album.

I realised that for years I've been going through the same pointless routine of going past disc 1 and putting disc 2 in the back (I must have listened to disc 1 three or four times ever).
Clearly I could have saved myself years of minor inconvenience by sticking the defunct disc 1 in the back (or bin), and putting disc 2 in the front.

It disturbed me slightly that over the years, I had never thought to do this.

What disturbed me even more was that as I was about to make the switch, I had a moment of self-doubt - I was putting things in the wrong place, and I should keep them where they belonged.

As I overrode this feeling, there was a lingering slight discomfort with the whole thing in the back of my mind.

It appears that for years I have been enslaved to all these stupid and hollow directions on how to behave and what to do.

And I even doubt myself when I go against what I'm told is 'right'.

(In fact, I've noticed this before, and over the last couple of years have become more willing to ignore pointless rules. But this exemplifies how lame I still am).

This wasn't a major event, but it really struck me because of how easily lead I've been, and how even as I realise I can break free and go my own way, a little part of me still wants to conform or obey.

I'm not entirely sure what to make of all this.

Anyone else had similar experiences?
Sat 23/06/07 at 18:14
Regular
"fiction - friction"
Geez, if you worry about things like this, you're doomed :P
But it does show how habits and routines can become automatic, and as a result we can limit ourselves in some way without knowing. This is the point you were making, wasn't it. Yes.
Thu 24/05/07 at 20:06
Regular
"Devotion 2The Ocean"
I think you're clearly insane and should be put down!

:D

It is true what you say though, and a bit of a mystery.

Think it comes down to not being a messy-oik like some of the common muck out there. lol ;)

There's something about cleanliness, completeism, where things must try and remain in the pristine condition we got them. Even if the disk breaks, it must remain in the box next to the working one because it makes a complete set. Disk 1 must remain at the front because when I open it, it's what I expect, and if Disk 2 is there, I may think I've lost Disk 1, or the other Disk in the box might no longer be Disk 1 because some stupid friend borrowed your CDs and moved them all around.

Order gives you that initial check that everything is ok, and it gives you peace of mind that the world is ok.

Which all reminds me that I need to buy Troy again because I lent my 2 Disk edition to my brother, and got it back with only the Bonus Features disk!! And I don't think I'm ever getting the actual movie back. Hate it when people don't return things how they received them! :(

:)
Wed 23/05/07 at 15:22
"possibly impossible"
I don't think it works like that. The mundane and ordered life has a reason and if superhuman feats were performed everyday they would just become the mundane.

Our lives form patterns so that we can cope, the extraordinary happens not because we move away from order and the ordinary, but because we try harder to perform the non-ordinary while still doing the ordinary.
Wed 23/05/07 at 13:25
Regular
"Laughingstock"
Creatures of habit we are, to be sure, like all animals I suspect.
I often think about this.. how we could alter our normality by 'getting used' to doing extraordinary habits on a daily basis: mirroring the alchemic concept of turning base metal to gold. Mundane to supermundane. The philosophy of forming extraordinary habits. I know what you're thinking.. I should write a book, get Oprah Winfrey onside and become a world famous guru.
Wed 23/05/07 at 10:48
"possibly impossible"
I think that's just human nature, finding a sense of order, even when it's not physically there as well.

Going against that is healthy, at times, but it can be dangerous to deliberately defy order in everything you do. It's a bit like the person who is trying desperately to not conform and goes out of their way to do the opposite of everyone else, while they secretly want to do some of the things they're 'rebelling' against.

First rule: Be true to yourself. Sounds like a cliche, but it's the best rule to live by.
Sun 20/05/07 at 17:23
Regular
"lets go back"
I wont open crisp packets upside down. It really should make a difference which way up you open it, yet I'll still only open them from the "top". I also do similar things to you two with cd's.
Sun 20/05/07 at 17:13
Regular
"Monochromatic"
Absolutely. I've gone as far as purposely switching them back when i've put them in the "wrong" way. It just seems better and more organised. Also i hate going for a cd, putting in the drive and then finding it's the wrong one.
Sun 20/05/07 at 17:08
Regular
I have an old dance compilation from 1999 that I still sometimes listen to.
Disc 1 is lame and pop-inclined, but disc 2 is absolutely classic trance. Bar about 3 tracks, there's nothing below supurb on there.

As with most double CDs, getting into the disc 2 space is a mither, involving opening the case one way, then folding out again the other way.

I was just changing the CD in my stereo from said disc 2 to another album.

I realised that for years I've been going through the same pointless routine of going past disc 1 and putting disc 2 in the back (I must have listened to disc 1 three or four times ever).
Clearly I could have saved myself years of minor inconvenience by sticking the defunct disc 1 in the back (or bin), and putting disc 2 in the front.

It disturbed me slightly that over the years, I had never thought to do this.

What disturbed me even more was that as I was about to make the switch, I had a moment of self-doubt - I was putting things in the wrong place, and I should keep them where they belonged.

As I overrode this feeling, there was a lingering slight discomfort with the whole thing in the back of my mind.

It appears that for years I have been enslaved to all these stupid and hollow directions on how to behave and what to do.

And I even doubt myself when I go against what I'm told is 'right'.

(In fact, I've noticed this before, and over the last couple of years have become more willing to ignore pointless rules. But this exemplifies how lame I still am).

This wasn't a major event, but it really struck me because of how easily lead I've been, and how even as I realise I can break free and go my own way, a little part of me still wants to conform or obey.

I'm not entirely sure what to make of all this.

Anyone else had similar experiences?

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Excellent
Excellent communication, polite and courteous staff - I was dealt with professionally. 10/10
Everybody thinks I am an IT genius...
Nothing but admiration. I have been complimented on the church site that I manage through you and everybody thinks I am an IT genius. Your support is unquestionably outstanding.
Brian

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.