GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"I have more money than you, So im a bigger fan!"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Fri 23/11/01 at 14:16
Regular
These days people think that if they own all the posters,
T-shirts, books, videos and all the other merchendise of something, that they're a bigger fan than someone who has nothing.

for example lets say someones a fan of The simpsons, they have lots of money,so they buy anything and everything that is anyway related to the show. Theres another fan,but this fan has little money and cannot afford to buy all the merchendise,all they can do is watch the program. The first person will now think that they are a bigger fan of the program, based apon the fact that, he/she has more money to spend.

This is so unfair on people.the person who doesnt have much money may have seen every episode of the show, but as the richer person has more money,they think they're are a bigger fan.the person may not have seen as many episodes,but still they appear to be the biggest fan.

So, I ask you, what has money got to do with it all?
Why are we judged by how much money and stuff we have?

This doesnt just effect fans of TV shows, it also effects these things below:

Football: My dad is a massive supporter of reading FC, hes been a seasen ticket holder since he was a young boy,he almost never misses a home game,and makes almost all the away games.he cannot afford to spend loads of money on a new football shirt, scarf etc every year,but as other people can, they think they're the bigger fan.

Movies: when a really popular movie comes to the cinema,that has been hyped about for years, most people go to see it.Some people with a lot of money will go and see it more times and buy all the merchendise,then they will think that they are a bigger fan than the people who just went and saw it once for a treat.

Games: There could be someone who is a really loyal playstatiopn gamer,but cannot afford a PS2.so they stick with the PSonne until,the price is low enough for them to afford.ten theres the person with seemingly unlimited money,who occasionaly plays a game but doesnt enjoy it that much.they get up one morning and think, hmm im gfoing to get a playstation 2 today, with lots of games and accesories, just because i have a lot of money.

Theres this boy in my class at school, hes one of the biggest nintendo fans that you will ever meet,but he hasnt even got an N64.Its not that he doesnt want one,he just doesnt have the money spare to buy one.not a month goes by when he doesnt buy a nintendo magazine, he knows all there is to know, but he hasnt got one.when i first met him,the N64 had been out for a little while and he wanted one badly then,he saved a bit of money,but just couldnt get enough. Now the N64 is very cheap and hes going to buy one soon,just after he gets one,the gamecube will be released,but this wont bother him as long as hes got a nintendo machine,hes happy.then theres other people who will have all the consoles out,they will look at him and see he has no console and they will think that they are a bigger fan than him.

Its not just the things that i have listed above that this topic effects, i didnt list them all as i couldnt.it effects practicaly everything.

Food - I buy better food than you, so i must like it more.

Bikes - I have all this stuff on my bike, so im a bigger
biker than you are.

DVD/Video - I can buy my movies on DVD as i have a player,so
I like movies more than you.

So next time your about to think that your a bigger fan than someone else,just because you have more money,stop and think, what has money got to do with it.Its loyalty and support that its all about,not persetions.

If you have any opinions on this subject,please share them.

Thanks for reading
CDouch
Fri 23/11/01 at 14:16
Regular
"Vote For Pedro"
These days people think that if they own all the posters,
T-shirts, books, videos and all the other merchendise of something, that they're a bigger fan than someone who has nothing.

for example lets say someones a fan of The simpsons, they have lots of money,so they buy anything and everything that is anyway related to the show. Theres another fan,but this fan has little money and cannot afford to buy all the merchendise,all they can do is watch the program. The first person will now think that they are a bigger fan of the program, based apon the fact that, he/she has more money to spend.

This is so unfair on people.the person who doesnt have much money may have seen every episode of the show, but as the richer person has more money,they think they're are a bigger fan.the person may not have seen as many episodes,but still they appear to be the biggest fan.

So, I ask you, what has money got to do with it all?
Why are we judged by how much money and stuff we have?

This doesnt just effect fans of TV shows, it also effects these things below:

Football: My dad is a massive supporter of reading FC, hes been a seasen ticket holder since he was a young boy,he almost never misses a home game,and makes almost all the away games.he cannot afford to spend loads of money on a new football shirt, scarf etc every year,but as other people can, they think they're the bigger fan.

Movies: when a really popular movie comes to the cinema,that has been hyped about for years, most people go to see it.Some people with a lot of money will go and see it more times and buy all the merchendise,then they will think that they are a bigger fan than the people who just went and saw it once for a treat.

Games: There could be someone who is a really loyal playstatiopn gamer,but cannot afford a PS2.so they stick with the PSonne until,the price is low enough for them to afford.ten theres the person with seemingly unlimited money,who occasionaly plays a game but doesnt enjoy it that much.they get up one morning and think, hmm im gfoing to get a playstation 2 today, with lots of games and accesories, just because i have a lot of money.

Theres this boy in my class at school, hes one of the biggest nintendo fans that you will ever meet,but he hasnt even got an N64.Its not that he doesnt want one,he just doesnt have the money spare to buy one.not a month goes by when he doesnt buy a nintendo magazine, he knows all there is to know, but he hasnt got one.when i first met him,the N64 had been out for a little while and he wanted one badly then,he saved a bit of money,but just couldnt get enough. Now the N64 is very cheap and hes going to buy one soon,just after he gets one,the gamecube will be released,but this wont bother him as long as hes got a nintendo machine,hes happy.then theres other people who will have all the consoles out,they will look at him and see he has no console and they will think that they are a bigger fan than him.

Its not just the things that i have listed above that this topic effects, i didnt list them all as i couldnt.it effects practicaly everything.

Food - I buy better food than you, so i must like it more.

Bikes - I have all this stuff on my bike, so im a bigger
biker than you are.

DVD/Video - I can buy my movies on DVD as i have a player,so
I like movies more than you.

So next time your about to think that your a bigger fan than someone else,just because you have more money,stop and think, what has money got to do with it.Its loyalty and support that its all about,not persetions.

If you have any opinions on this subject,please share them.

Thanks for reading
CDouch
Fri 23/11/01 at 14:24
Regular
"Infantalised Forums"
Top post.
I agree with you on this one, just because you have more stuff,doesn't mean you're a bigger fan.

Like I love The Simpsons, a massive fan and have seen pretty much all the episodes, but I don't own any merchandise except for some Bart Simpson pants.

Whereas people will start to like something purely because it's trendy to do so. A shame really, and happens with bands quite a lot.

Cake wrote a song about that called "Rock and Roll Lifestyle":

"And how much did you pay for the rock and roll t-shirt
That proves you were there, that you heard of them 1st?"
Fri 23/11/01 at 14:26
Regular
"Vote For Pedro"
These days, people just seem to be looking for a reasen to judge people.
Fri 23/11/01 at 14:38
Regular
"I love Dave music"
Really quality post. I completely agree. I like indie/rock music, but don't choose to wear band t-shirts etc. mainly cos they are a bit of a rip-off, and secondly cos I can't afford to buy them everytime I go to a concert etc.

But I was at a local indie night in a pub, can't remember what I was wearing, but it obviously wasn't indie enough, because I got at least two comments, like "I like your t-shirt" being really sarcastic, and stuff like that. Who cares what you wear, don't judge people on their possessions. That makes you shallow. Ever since that day I resolved to never care what people think about you. Wear what you want, say what you want, do what you want, buy what you want. If you conform because of them you let them win, and once you let them win, you are no better than them.

Well done mate, you hit the mark. Bullseye!!
Fri 23/11/01 at 14:45
Regular
"Vote For Pedro"
its a bit like on that simpsons episode (sorry, but the simpsons has an answer for everything)where the really tall guy is driving around in a really small car, and so is all squashed up. Nelson sees him and goes HA Ha. the guy gets out and explains to him that he needs a car, and thats the best he could afford. then he makes him pull down his trousers, march along the street, then wave and blow kisses at everyone.
Fri 23/11/01 at 20:41
Regular
"Vote For Pedro"
Oh by the way, thanks for the complements on the post, first time I have ever got that. I just wish more people visited this forum, so more people could take part in the disscusions here.
Sat 24/11/01 at 15:21
Regular
"Peace Respect Punk"
CDouch wrote:
> These days, people just seem to be looking for a reasen to judge people.

Sheesh! Look who's talking!!! Who was it that started the topic 'Gothics' and then made a list of how to recognise them and saying why you didn't like them or thought they were 'wierd'.

Anyway, back to the subject, if you ARE such a big fan, you don't care about all the 'posers' with lots of money. You are safe in the knowledge that you are a 'real' fan, and don't need to prove it to anyone. That's what I think.
Sat 24/11/01 at 15:29
Regular
"Peace Respect Punk"
The GingerLord wrote:
> Really quality post. I completely agree. I like indie/rock music, but don't
> choose to wear band t-shirts etc. mainly cos they are a bit of a rip-off, and
> secondly cos I can't afford to buy them everytime I go to a concert etc.

But
> I was at a local indie night in a pub, can't remember what I was wearing, but it
> obviously wasn't indie enough, because I got at least two comments, like "I
> like your t-shirt" being really sarcastic, and stuff like that. Who cares
> what you wear, don't judge people on their possessions. That makes you shallow.
> Ever since that day I resolved to never care what people think about you. Wear
> what you want, say what you want, do what you want, buy what you want. If you
> conform because of them you let them win, and once you let them win, you are no
> better than them.

Well done mate, you hit the mark. Bullseye!!

I agree with what you are saying here. You may think I am a 'poser' or something cos I am into Punk, and have some band T-Shirts, but it is cos I get em iff the net for cheap. These days you have a few choices in clothing. You wear a big brand 'trendy' make, and become a bill board for corporates to advertise on, you wear non-descript kinda stuff that isn't trendy or whatever, but cheap, and just your average stuff, (much better than brands in my opinion) or you wear stuff to support something you believe in. I wear T-Shirts of bands I like, eg. Bad Religion, Pennywise, Operation Ivy and Capdown, because I love these bands, and believe a lot of what they stand for and make music about. This is not to say I wear all the hoodies, etc. but I have no problem with people who wear that as long as they don't think they are a 'bigger' punker than me. If they think that, they obviously don't understand the first thing about Punk values, and I will just allow myself that knowing smile, and walk away thinking.
Sat 24/11/01 at 15:52
Regular
"Vote For Pedro"
i was saying how i dont understand them
Sat 24/11/01 at 23:43
Regular
"Peace Respect Punk"
CDouch wrote:
> i was saying how i dont understand them

You were wondering why they dress the way they do and why they act the way they do. Basically you were saying they all look the same, so they all mus be the same, and because they don't look 'normal' (whatever that is) they should have to justify themselves.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Excellent
Excellent communication, polite and courteous staff - I was dealt with professionally. 10/10
Brilliant service.
Love it, love it, love it!
Christopher

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.