GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Nutrition, Dieting and E Numbers"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 30/08/10 at 21:20
Regular
"Tip The Scales"
There seems to have been a renewed interest in E numbers recently. Another documentary going into the details of why they're bad, why they're good, and why they're necessary on the BBC.

Now, I see E numbers as an easy way of showing chemicals that have been readily approved for use in foodstuffs, and to see what ingredients that food shares. The "general public" seems to think it's a list of synthetic additives that have been engineered to cause health problems and hyperness in children. I have the feeling that if I attempted a petition to ban E Numbers 300 to 305 due to the huge toxicity risk that an overdose in them can cause, that I would get a fair number of signatures.

I doubt that I'd get anywhere near the response if I were to replace the E numbers with their generic name: 'Vitamin C".

I would suggest that E numbers be replaced by just the full chemical names, but I fear that would probably just scare everyone even further into what's going into their food. I remember a Marks and Spencers campaign along the lines of "Just pure natural Vanillin, and not even a hint of 4-Hydroxy-3-methoxybenzaldehyde" despite them being the same thing.

I think that people worry so much about E numbers and calorific intake that they completely ignore the remainder of the nutrition that is requires. Many people diet looking purely at calorific intake, not noticing where the calories are coming from, and therefore heading down straight carbohydrate diets with minimal protein (and don't get me started on rubbish like Atkins etc.)

What does everyone else think?
Mon 30/08/10 at 21:20
Regular
"Tip The Scales"
There seems to have been a renewed interest in E numbers recently. Another documentary going into the details of why they're bad, why they're good, and why they're necessary on the BBC.

Now, I see E numbers as an easy way of showing chemicals that have been readily approved for use in foodstuffs, and to see what ingredients that food shares. The "general public" seems to think it's a list of synthetic additives that have been engineered to cause health problems and hyperness in children. I have the feeling that if I attempted a petition to ban E Numbers 300 to 305 due to the huge toxicity risk that an overdose in them can cause, that I would get a fair number of signatures.

I doubt that I'd get anywhere near the response if I were to replace the E numbers with their generic name: 'Vitamin C".

I would suggest that E numbers be replaced by just the full chemical names, but I fear that would probably just scare everyone even further into what's going into their food. I remember a Marks and Spencers campaign along the lines of "Just pure natural Vanillin, and not even a hint of 4-Hydroxy-3-methoxybenzaldehyde" despite them being the same thing.

I think that people worry so much about E numbers and calorific intake that they completely ignore the remainder of the nutrition that is requires. Many people diet looking purely at calorific intake, not noticing where the calories are coming from, and therefore heading down straight carbohydrate diets with minimal protein (and don't get me started on rubbish like Atkins etc.)

What does everyone else think?
Tue 31/08/10 at 12:17
Staff Moderator
"Show Me Your Moves"
HighflyerVII wrote:
> I would suggest that E numbers be replaced by just the full
> chemical names

I believe this is what they do in the States, and it means food packets are full of these chemical names (not that anybody over there would read them, let alone understand them).

The E Number system was brought in, like you say, as a full reference guide to prevent food packets being clogged up with the chemical names. I think the only way forward is to try and educate the 'general public' that this is the case and that E numbers don't necessarily mean bad.

Hopefully the recent press given by the BBC on this will go some way to helping.
Tue 31/08/10 at 12:27
Regular
"Monochromatic"
Another "issue" created by typical newspaper scaremongery. The newspapers themselves are more dangerous than E numbers.
Tue 31/08/10 at 13:10
Staff Moderator
"Aargh! Broken..."
Nin wrote:
> The newspapers themselves are more dangerous than E
> numbers.

Especially if you eat the newspapers. Think about all the e's and numbers you'd be eating then....

I'll get my coat, the one with E529 in the pocket:)
Tue 31/08/10 at 20:40
Regular
"Tip The Scales"
I have the feeling that the "general public" will always find something to be scared of. Prehaps if the media didn't require scaremongering to sell, then the country would be a far better and easier place to live.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

First Class!
I feel that your service on this occasion was absolutely first class - a model of excellence. After this, I hope to stay with Freeola for a long time!
Very pleased
Very pleased with the help given by your staff. They explained technical details in an easy way and were patient when providing information to a non expert like me.

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.