GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"GameCube BIG hit in USA! Will it effect Europe?"

The "Nintendo Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 22/11/01 at 22:56
Regular
The GameCube has been a big hit in the US, and all 700,000 of the initial US batch is reportedly sold out. Another 200,000 is due to hit before Xmas. This is obviously a very good sign for the big N, especially after the somewhat underwhelming launch in Japan. It is particularly encouraging to see that world events aren't affecting the videogaming world too much.

Anyway, how will this effect us in Europe? Well on IGN.com, where I got the above info, it said that the GC was now likely for a April (not March, but only a month late) release. This is not confirmed. However, I don't think the bug N are going to push the date back any further than April. Xbox is likely to still launch in March, and they can't afford to give them a significant headstart. However, a slight delay from March is very possible, considering the US launch has gone so well. Ninty will wish to continue their success in America, and may even try to up the number of GCs getting to the US before Xmas, so the kids won't be disappointed.

I believe the GC Europe launch will be in late March to mid April. Any later is basically suicide here in Europe. Ninty won't recover in Europe if they delay longer than necessary. However, I think that Nintendo can afford to launch in Europe without too many consoles. Here, in the UK at least, there is little GC hype, and as far as I'm aware, people seem to be much more aware of the Xbox, many people not even knowing the name of Nintendos new piece of kit. Nintendo need to start advertising GC here before Xbox launches, to try and turn some people from it before it is too late. That way, even if GC has to be released later than Xbox here, awareness will be raised, and some potential Xbox buyers will wait and see what the GameCube is like. Nintendo should also try and release with a low price tag.

It costs $199.99 in America (I think?) which directly converted into pounds means about £140. But traditionally, in Europe and UK we get charged more for our consoles and games. I predict that a £199.99 price tag in the UK is most likely, but I am hoping that it will be less, maybe £180 or even £170. This will undercut Xboxs price very substantially, so GameCube will appeal more to those who already have DVD players, and don't want to fork out the extra for another on their console.

However, the Europe release line up looks very strong, with Luigi's Mansion, Wave Race: Blue Storm, Super Monkey Ball, Star Wars: Rogue Leader, Tony Hawks Skater 3, Pikmin, Crazy Taxi, Extreme G3, Galleon, Phantasy Star Online v2, Starfox Adventures, and Super Smash Bros. Melee all looking highly likely to be available on the GCs release.

On another note, Shigeru Miyamoto has already hinted at Pikmin 2, and said it may take as little as a year to develop it. This is a good sign, as it shows that Nintendo developed games can be expected much more regularly than on the N64, and that the system overall is very easy to develop for, as has been stated in the past.

Well overall, Nintendos future looks pretty bright, but for us in Europe all we can do is look to the future, and wait in hope...
Wed 28/11/01 at 22:44
Regular
"Peace Respect Punk"
Tony Blair you have lost my vote!!!

;-)
Wed 28/11/01 at 21:15
Regular
"poo poo for you!"
oh why! (sob Sob)
Wed 28/11/01 at 21:15
Regular
"poo poo for you!"
and wait !
Wed 28/11/01 at 21:14
Regular
"poo poo for you!"
ummmm
Wed 28/11/01 at 21:14
Regular
"poo poo for you!"
YAAAA Super Smahs Bros!!!!

all that is left to do is um............WAIT!!!
Sun 25/11/01 at 12:03
Regular
"Peace Respect Punk"
yeah, but I doubt a drop after Xmas will be a big one... probably about a drop of £10-£20 is all. Then they may further reduce it to £150 by the Xbox and GC launches to try to take the wind out of their launchs.
Sun 25/11/01 at 05:13
Regular
A ps2 price drop after christmas wouldn't surprise me actually.

Rack up the inevitable christmas sales, then as per january sale style, drop it a bit to keep the units shifting, before leaving the machine super-competetive in the gca nd x-box market.

It'd be hard to refuse for the casuals...
Sun 25/11/01 at 01:12
Regular
Hardware prices are usually the same as the shops, but the games are definitly cheaper on-line. I order all my games online though. Pick up most PS2 games for £30. got Smackdown 3 for £29.99.
Sun 25/11/01 at 00:00
Regular
"Peace Respect Punk"
yeah, but if you get stuff from SR it'll be a bit cheaper, and get stuff off the net (websites or auctions) and you'll get it well below retail!
Sat 24/11/01 at 22:38
Regular
I aint gonna pre-order one until i know the exact price. In an ideal world it should cost about £150 to fall into the exchange rate from punds to dollars. BUt its more likely to be £200. Which is a slightly less appealing price.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Thank you very much for your help!
Top service for free - excellent - thank you very much for your help.
10/10
Over the years I've become very jaded after many bad experiences with customer services, you have bucked the trend. Polite and efficient from the Freeola team, well done to all involved.

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.