GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"TOP TEN TIME!"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 22/11/01 at 20:39
Regular
There are loads of games out there, but everybody must have a favourite! Well, maybe you have few favourites, as I do, and so I'll tell you my most played ten games. Hope you're ready for this, it could be shocking:-

10. Virtua Tennis: an incredibly realistic tennis sports game available to play in the arcades, and more importantly at home on the Dreamcast where the 4 player mode outshines anything on any system basically. The graphics are incredible, the game engine is arcade perfect and the simplicity is to be commended. An amazing game that surely deserves worldwide recognition as the greatest multiplayer sports simulation of all time. Featuring around 8 real life players, the best being Kafelnikov and Philippousis, Sega have produced a classic!

9. SSX on the PlayStation 2. Although I haven't owned many playstation 2 games, I can safely say that this has been in the console for a very long time. Superb graphics, although they don't quite match a lot of people's 'expectations', the control method and style of gameplay is similar to the amazing Tony Hawk's Pro Skater, and so SSX has to be a hit! The sound is superb, with excellent music, a very high but worthwhile learning difficulty and brilliant snow effects - SSX is the best EA game so far, and the best PS2 title available, although Fifa 2002 is very, very good :-D

8. Track and field - the best PlayStation athletics game ever made, and certainly the main culprit for those broken joypads and hammered in buttons! Konami's addictive button basher is most probably the only title that I've played on my PlayStation in a long while, as there's nothing else that can touch it! Grab 3 mates round and a multi tap & you've got hours of gaming pleasure! The visual enhancements of the 2nd version are so great that you should trade in the first - nothing compares to it in my book.

7. Gran Turismo 2. I never really liked racing games before this monster hit on the PlayStation, and brought to you by Sony entertainment themselves, I don't think the game could ever have failed - even if it were rubbish! Well, it definitely isn't, so thank your lucky stars that GT2 is just as good, perhaps even better than the original. Over 500 cars, 20 tracks and as many tune up options that you can fit onto a 700mb disc! GT3 may well be a lot smoother, but this one is still one of my fave's. The control system is superb, and the realistic graphics and sound effects make GT2 one of the most popular racing/driving games of all time. An essential purchase!

6. WWF Smackdown 2. Another sequel beats the original into the top ten, showing that sequels actually are often better than the predecessor! Smackdown 2 recreates the ludicrous and insane world of professional wrestling and brings home all the stars onto the world's favourite games machine, the PlayStation. The graphics surpass most games on the format, and although the controls are tricky to learn, SD2 is an enjoyable game that everyone should try out at least once! Be the Rock, tell Stone Cold Steve Austin what you're cooking, and play for hours on end on another great PSX game - you know it's made up, this time you make the rules!

5. Sega Rally - arcade. I never owned the beleagured console that this amazing arcade game was brought back to life on, so from my endless days in the arcade, Sega Rally provided me with the top 5 scores on the machine, the most fantasticly fast rallying game I've probably played, and an excellent opportunity to show off to my mates, and thrash the hell out of them! The speed is something to be admired, as Sega Rally is still easily the most played on arcade title. There may well have been two cars, maybe 3, and a distinct lack of tracks, but we didn't care because the gameplay was and is so intense that it doesn't matter! Great graphics and authentic engine sounds, even by today's standards!

4. ISS Pro Evlution 2. Another PlayStation game here, but certainly one of the best football games around. It's so much better than the pretty dull Fifa series, and now with the inclusion of an official licence, offering real life players - with correctly spelt names and clubs, ISS is now authentic as well as true to the beautiful game. The graphics may well not be as good as the PlayStation 2 game Fifa 2001, but it plays a whole lot better I can say. A stunning 2player mode and excellent AI make playing the computer fun again. Controls are easy to learn, and goal scoring seems to be just right - not too hard and by no means easy. The PS2 version is practically here, (tomorrow I think?) so I'll more than likely be buying it!

3. Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 2. As already stated in the SSX opinion - at the top, I really love this style of game! Games developer Activision had the audacity to bring the world a video game based on a sport that can hardly be considered mainstream, in the UK at least, and has managed to turn us all into Tony Hawk fans. Everyone seems to be skating in real life now, so maybe this game alone has brought a rise in popularity for the trick busting sport! Great gameplay yet again, with a very intelligent 2player mode, and endearing 1 player career mode and superb player and character animation. Top gaming on PSX and Dreamcast - the third, is out soon - can't wait!

2. Dead or Alive 2. I'm not a great fight 'em up fan myself, but this fighting game introduces a higher level of hand to hand and fist to fist combat action. Dead or Alice to is absolutely incredible - it's on both the PlayStation 2 and Sega Dreamcast, and even if it means buying an X Box just for the third, I'd do it!! The graphics are something to be seen, and the gameplay tag team mode is very well executed. The characters are very likeable, and the marvellous controls are very easy to master and perfect. A true beat 'em up classic, that could turn everyone into a fan of the genre.

1. My favourite game of all time is most probably something that you've all played, all think is boring and outdated now, but if you were put in front of a screen with it running, you'd all play for hours on end! I'm talking about 3 games in one here, and maybe that's not fair but all three of these games are absolute gems to play and deserve their place in gaming history - pacman, Tetris and Lemmings! Amazing games, that seem so simple now, and yet could entertain even the most hating person of 2D games! These will go down in as the best games ever created I think, keep them 2D and keep them good, and more importantly - keep playing them!

~~~~~~~~~~KING ECAD~~~~~~~~~~~
Fri 23/11/01 at 23:34
Regular
"Jags is teh l33t"
top 10 topics that seem to come up over and over again

1. This one

i can't be bothered to do the rest.
Fri 23/11/01 at 23:15
My top ten at the moment:

1: Nights
2: Shenmue
3: Soul Calibur
4: Samba De Amigo
5: GTA3
6: GT3
7: Virtua Tennis
8: Crazy Taxi
9: MSR
10: F355

Lalalala :)
Fri 23/11/01 at 19:26
Which is my favourite ever video game, and why? If you know me, then you’ll know! It’s the Sega Saturn game, Nights. Created – by Yuji Naka and his Sonic Team (thanks a lot for all of these games guys) Nights became the best Sega Saturn game ever! Offering a strange kind of 3D graphics system, Nights was the main character – an odd looking flying thing that had to collect spherical objects and rack up the points in order to complete the levels. The visuals were Dreamcast standard – if only Nights had been on a more successful console, more people would have been able to experience it – but then I like the idea of exclusivity ‘have you played Nights before?’ I ask. ‘No – what’s that?’ - ‘Never mind’… I got the game as a Christmas present complete with the 3D analogue control pad in an exuberant box of wonder. The game boasted so much life and energy – wonderfully created, such an original game that cannot be touched in terms of sheer fun and enjoyment. The game play was much like Sonic, only much, much more playable, and less irritating! The story line – inspirational, and really kind of ‘innocent’ but good! I don’t currently own Nights and the pad, after I sold it for just £20 ages ago! I’ll have to pick a copy up somewhere because this is game that every true believer of outstanding, groundbreaking games should own. It’s magic!
Fri 23/11/01 at 19:25
Hmmm
Fri 23/11/01 at 19:12
I agree with the stuff at the end about older games like tetris,the first console i ever got was one of those cheap,nasty `301 block games consoles'.That kept me entertained for months!
Fri 23/11/01 at 19:08
Excellent!
Fri 23/11/01 at 00:56
Should this not be your favorite games that you have played? I guess top ten anticipated games is a good thing too though. I am out of touch, but I reckon that Tony Hawk's 3 does look startlingly good.

Also, VF4 and Soul Calibur 2.
Fri 23/11/01 at 00:33
Regular
"Evil Ryu"
Top 10...please allow me...

Note: the titles I wish to mention are not released yet.
Not in the UK anyway

Thanks

1 - Halo OR Metal Gear Solid 2
2 - Devil May Cry
3 - Jak & Daxter
4 - Silent Hill 2
5 - Enter The Maelstrom
6 - Soul Calibre 2
7 - Virtua Fighter 4
9 - Tekken 4
10 - CAPCOM vs. SNK 2

I would add in SSX Tricky and Time Splitter 2 but I have already played the orginals. I know the sequels look a lot more better, but I would rather give other games a chance in the top ten.
Thu 22/11/01 at 21:38
Regular
"++ Anti Antler ++"
Obliged to be of service my King. Well, FF1 is a bit less strategical [ok maybe a LOT less] but it was the first. And it isn't the best but is the original therefor all FF's are due thanks to it.
Thu 22/11/01 at 21:09
Tut Tut. Cheating is that?

Nice top ten, although if you think that the first FF is better than the 9th, why in this order? Thank you for replying tho and not copying out everything I wrote twice :-)

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Unrivalled services
Freeola has to be one of, if not the best, ISP around as the services they offer seem unrivalled.
First Class!
I feel that your service on this occasion was absolutely first class - a model of excellence. After this, I hope to stay with Freeola for a long time!

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.