GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Online stores vs. High street Stores"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 22/11/01 at 20:03
Regular
Online stores vs. High street Stores

Console games are a big business. Play your cards right and you could end up earning a fortune. Many people have taken this to note and built a branch of shops online and off, for example, Special Reserve. These shops provide us with our petrol if you like, energy to keep us going, which is if you haven’t guessed, is Console Games!

When choosing a game it isn’t very hard with millions of decent titles out on the shelves you’re spoilt for choice. So when you think of it the game-choosing bit is quite easy, the tricky part is where you’re going to actually buy the game?
You may think this is silly question but trust me it’s not, I bet it’s buzzed round your head many a times. When your making a choice you have to choose whether to buy it online, or to rush out to the shops and buy it at your local Curry’s.

If you walk into a shop like Woolworth’s or Whsmith’s looking for a game your most probably likely to pay the RRP price which for a average game on the PS2 is around £40 though usually stretched to around £50.

When you look into shops were games are the main attraction of the shop like private exchange stores you can probably find about a fiver slashed off the RRP price, which again isn’t the ideal price.
But when looking on the Internet you could find the games with about £10+ off the RRP. If you order it you’ve got you postage and packaging to pay for, which can bring it up to around £3 more.
So therefore online is the cheapest option, though it depends where your getting your games from, I’d recommend SR when buying online.

If your one of these people with no patience in you at all you’re most likely to go out and buy your games straight away from anywhere that sells them at whatever asking price.
I think this is silly when you can get a £10 slashed off a game waiting for only about 2 days when ordered from SR. Though it would be unfair to give me just my opinion, so therefore I’ve done a bit of research. I’ve asked some others on MSN messenger what they think about the subject when buying games, here’s the question I asked.

When you buy a game, what do you prefer, online or offline and why?

Delta Java said:
Online stores for speed... but if you have the time, high street. And you get a better feeling once you've bought a game or any product from a high street store, compared to with mail order.
Overall verdict: Online’s better but notice the mixed view.

Mjswerve said:
If I am looking to buy a new game I would definitely buy it from a games shop that is local to me. I don't really use the Internet for buying anything and ordering things through catalogues doesn't agree with me, as I have to get my dad to use his credit card. I use the Internet to find out about the game and then I will wander to my local games shop to purchase it. I do this because I can use my own money and I know that once my money is handed over that I will definitely get the game I wanted.
Overall verdict: Offline

Ric Ross said:
Online you get a lot more information, in shops you get useless employee's who don't know anything about games, graphics, what’s a good deal and special functions of the game, for example, some games you can play multiplayer with one cartridge on GBA but on some you need four different carts. On the net it's easier to find special offers, just search for the game/console/accessories in question and you get offers like on E-Bay.
Overall verdict: Online

PB said:
Online shopping is excellent. It means that you can view all the things you want to buy, and see many more that you'd never contemplated buying, but now seem like a good idea. It's great to shop without shoving people out of the way (especially at this time of year) and you can tell whether something is in stock too.....

…but…

Offline Shopping is also amazing. It means that you can hold the object in your hand and there it sits, gleaming (well, in some cases anyway) and saying, in a soft cooing voice, "buy me". You can meet friends while out and get some exercise. All this with the added benefit of being able to take the objects home with you that day!
Overall verdict: Offline shopping is excellent...but...um...Online shopping is excellent too! You can't have one without the other!

I say:
Overall I’m new to online shopping. I think when buying games online is a better option getting them from SR. I’d be happy to wait 2 days for delivery for about £10 slashed off the RRP. The only reason I’d buy offline is if I see a great game on special offer or something, which unfortunately isn’t very often.
Overall verdict: Online from SR, can’t go wrong there :)

AS well as interviewing people I did a little survey on some chat-rooms, out of 50 people this is the response I got with what people prefer when buying games, offline shops or on.

Offline shopping- 29 Online shopping-21

From the response here it shows most people like going out to the high street to find a game. Most of the people responding said “Offline shopping is better as you can actually hold the game when you get it, check for breakages of the case etc. It is also easier to return if damaged.” This is true in a way, which is one of the positives when buying offline.

My overall conclusion:
Overall I’m new to online shopping. I think when buying games online is a better option getting them from SR. I’d be happy to wait 2 days for delivery to my home for about £10 slashed off the RRP. The only reason I’d buy offline is if I see a great game on special offer or something similar, which unfortunately isn’t found very often.
Overall verdict: Online shopping from SR, can’t go wrong there (and you get free games) :)
Thu 22/11/01 at 20:03
Regular
"Hoo Har"
Online stores vs. High street Stores

Console games are a big business. Play your cards right and you could end up earning a fortune. Many people have taken this to note and built a branch of shops online and off, for example, Special Reserve. These shops provide us with our petrol if you like, energy to keep us going, which is if you haven’t guessed, is Console Games!

When choosing a game it isn’t very hard with millions of decent titles out on the shelves you’re spoilt for choice. So when you think of it the game-choosing bit is quite easy, the tricky part is where you’re going to actually buy the game?
You may think this is silly question but trust me it’s not, I bet it’s buzzed round your head many a times. When your making a choice you have to choose whether to buy it online, or to rush out to the shops and buy it at your local Curry’s.

If you walk into a shop like Woolworth’s or Whsmith’s looking for a game your most probably likely to pay the RRP price which for a average game on the PS2 is around £40 though usually stretched to around £50.

When you look into shops were games are the main attraction of the shop like private exchange stores you can probably find about a fiver slashed off the RRP price, which again isn’t the ideal price.
But when looking on the Internet you could find the games with about £10+ off the RRP. If you order it you’ve got you postage and packaging to pay for, which can bring it up to around £3 more.
So therefore online is the cheapest option, though it depends where your getting your games from, I’d recommend SR when buying online.

If your one of these people with no patience in you at all you’re most likely to go out and buy your games straight away from anywhere that sells them at whatever asking price.
I think this is silly when you can get a £10 slashed off a game waiting for only about 2 days when ordered from SR. Though it would be unfair to give me just my opinion, so therefore I’ve done a bit of research. I’ve asked some others on MSN messenger what they think about the subject when buying games, here’s the question I asked.

When you buy a game, what do you prefer, online or offline and why?

Delta Java said:
Online stores for speed... but if you have the time, high street. And you get a better feeling once you've bought a game or any product from a high street store, compared to with mail order.
Overall verdict: Online’s better but notice the mixed view.

Mjswerve said:
If I am looking to buy a new game I would definitely buy it from a games shop that is local to me. I don't really use the Internet for buying anything and ordering things through catalogues doesn't agree with me, as I have to get my dad to use his credit card. I use the Internet to find out about the game and then I will wander to my local games shop to purchase it. I do this because I can use my own money and I know that once my money is handed over that I will definitely get the game I wanted.
Overall verdict: Offline

Ric Ross said:
Online you get a lot more information, in shops you get useless employee's who don't know anything about games, graphics, what’s a good deal and special functions of the game, for example, some games you can play multiplayer with one cartridge on GBA but on some you need four different carts. On the net it's easier to find special offers, just search for the game/console/accessories in question and you get offers like on E-Bay.
Overall verdict: Online

PB said:
Online shopping is excellent. It means that you can view all the things you want to buy, and see many more that you'd never contemplated buying, but now seem like a good idea. It's great to shop without shoving people out of the way (especially at this time of year) and you can tell whether something is in stock too.....

…but…

Offline Shopping is also amazing. It means that you can hold the object in your hand and there it sits, gleaming (well, in some cases anyway) and saying, in a soft cooing voice, "buy me". You can meet friends while out and get some exercise. All this with the added benefit of being able to take the objects home with you that day!
Overall verdict: Offline shopping is excellent...but...um...Online shopping is excellent too! You can't have one without the other!

I say:
Overall I’m new to online shopping. I think when buying games online is a better option getting them from SR. I’d be happy to wait 2 days for delivery for about £10 slashed off the RRP. The only reason I’d buy offline is if I see a great game on special offer or something, which unfortunately isn’t very often.
Overall verdict: Online from SR, can’t go wrong there :)

AS well as interviewing people I did a little survey on some chat-rooms, out of 50 people this is the response I got with what people prefer when buying games, offline shops or on.

Offline shopping- 29 Online shopping-21

From the response here it shows most people like going out to the high street to find a game. Most of the people responding said “Offline shopping is better as you can actually hold the game when you get it, check for breakages of the case etc. It is also easier to return if damaged.” This is true in a way, which is one of the positives when buying offline.

My overall conclusion:
Overall I’m new to online shopping. I think when buying games online is a better option getting them from SR. I’d be happy to wait 2 days for delivery to my home for about £10 slashed off the RRP. The only reason I’d buy offline is if I see a great game on special offer or something similar, which unfortunately isn’t found very often.
Overall verdict: Online shopping from SR, can’t go wrong there (and you get free games) :)
Thu 22/11/01 at 20:05
Regular
"Hoo Har"
Thank you Delta Java for the inspiration. Also thank you to all the people that contributed the topic.

Couldn’t have done it without you…
Thu 22/11/01 at 20:18
Regular
I'd say both. If you shop online like SR you get a better deal as the highstreet stores sell their games at really hign prices, this is why I joined SR. I'd also say Second Hand Gaming shops are good as you can get some really good deals, just ask Cooky.
Thu 22/11/01 at 20:19
Regular
A point I missed, if you buy online you have to wait a few days for it to come in the post, if you buy from your get it dtraight away.
Thu 22/11/01 at 20:45
Regular
"Hoo Har"
2 days is fine for me, builds up the anticipation as well...
Thu 22/11/01 at 21:05
Regular
I feel honered to be asked :D
Thu 22/11/01 at 21:10
Regular
"Hoo Har"
Sorry about spelling your name wrong Rickoss, lil' mistake :)
Thu 22/11/01 at 21:17
I ordered SD3! and a memory card last week from SR and they have neither at the moment.

At least with the high-street shops you know if they've got the stuff you want, and you don't have to wait a couple of days for it to be delivered
Thu 22/11/01 at 21:21
Regular
JaCeeUK wrote:
> Sorry about spelling your name wrong Rickoss, lil' mistake :)

NP
Fri 23/11/01 at 15:41
Regular
"Hoo Har"
fitz wrote:
> I ordered SD3! and a memory card last week from SR and they have neither at the
> moment.

At least with the high-street shops you know if they've got the stuff
> you want, and you don't have to wait a couple of days for it to be delivered

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Top-notch internet service
Excellent internet service and customer service. Top-notch in replying to my comments.
Duncan
Brilliant service.
Love it, love it, love it!
Christopher

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.