GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Ikaruga"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

This thread has been linked to the game 'Ikaruga'.
Sat 19/04/03 at 22:41
Regular
Got this today, felt like doing a mini review.

This game really is a touch of genius. You probably know it's a classic 2D scrolling shoot 'em up, and that instead of having the usual selection of power-ups, you can switch between being white or black. And I must say that it's probably the best decision made in a game for years.The enemy ships are either white or black, and depending on what polarity you are affects what happens:

Same polarity:
Their shots can't hurt you.
You absorb their fire with the bulliet eater technique, which powers up your homing missiles.
When you destroy them they fire 4/5 shots at you.

Different polarity:
Their shots will destroy you.
You inflict double damage on them.
You earn double points for destroying them.
When you destroy them they don't fire any shots (unless you're playing on Hard)

But what makes it so great is that there are advantages to both ways. If you change to the same polarity as them you will be safer, and you can power up your lethal homing cluster missiles attack, but then again you can destroy them quicker and get a higher score by being brave and making yourself vulberable.

Also you can build up your chain combos and earn huge amounts of points by destroying 3+ ships of the same polarity. Naturally, you will be faced with ships and fire of each polarity at the same time for most of the game. The strategy element therefore is remarkable, and getting anywhere will require quick thinking and quicker reflexes. Another thing that struck me was that unlike the Monkeys Balls games, it has never once left me feeling frustrated, and I've never felt like the game was being unfair or irritating at anytime.

The graphics are pretty much what you'd expect, at some points I thought it could have done with some improved back grounds, but then when you think of the amount of ships and bulliets on the screen at one time, it's acceptable. Besides, if you actually want to be half good at you won't have time to admire the background anyway.

There's a few game modes, the normal story mode, trial mode (which is just the first 2 chapters, with unlimited lives for the first chapter), practice mode (choose a level to practice), Conquest; where you can choose a stage of a level and work on your technique, you can choose the difficulty and also if you want to play in slow motion for refinement. And of course, there's the 2 player co-op which I havne't tried yet.

There are also 4 modes you can unlock (I don't know what they are yet). They require things like beating Trial Mode on normal with one credit (continue), and beating the story on normal with one credit (which would only take...say..a year). But they can also be unlocked in a SSBM way, the first of the four will be unlocked after 5 hours of play time, the second 10 hours and then 15 and 20 hours for the others.

Lastly, there is a challenge mode, with is the story mode on normal, you are given one credit and you have to get the highest score possible. You will also get given a code, which I'm guessing is your score in some form of encryption; you can enter it on the website to enter your score in the world rankings. The top 5 for each category win a prize when it ends (July 31st).

Summary:
+ Classic retro action
+ Quick thinking
+ On the fly strategy
+ Hours and hours of game play
+ Extremely addictive
+ Very challenging
+ Enter world rankings
+ 2 Player co-op

- Slow down when a boss explodes, although it doesn't really matter because it's the end of the chapter.
- Doesn't give you cash for a high score.
- ..er..that's it.

And one final thing. I've spent ages playing it today, and I made it into the world rankings! Yep, for a whole glorious 15 minutes I was ranked as the 100th best player in the world at Ikaruga. I've been knocked off now, but I took a screenshot as a memento:

www.geocities.com/whitestripes15/ikaruga.JPG
Page:
Sun 15/06/03 at 17:17
Regular
"bit of a brain"
Boy: It's quite embarassing
Boy: I had sex with a turkey

Oh how I laughed.
Sun 15/06/03 at 17:12
Regular
"I'm going to impale you with my horns"
"You're not really a rhinocerous, be serious"
"It doesn't come much more serious than an angry rhino"

Classic.
Sun 15/06/03 at 16:48
Regular
"Festivus!"
HARRR!
Sun 15/06/03 at 16:00
Regular
"aka memo aaka gayby"
Now THAT is comedy gold.

WS has been brushing up on his bloodninja.
Sun 15/06/03 at 15:41
Regular
*puts on his robe and wizard hat*
Sun 15/06/03 at 15:40
Regular
"Jog on, sunshine"
Highly suggested and rarely spoken of, the Daily Mail would have a field day with their 'relationship'.
Sun 15/06/03 at 15:39
Regular
gamezfreak wrote:

> And maybe a little less of the retarded gibbering they always seem to
> do.

You can hardly blame them, I doubt you'd make much sense if you had another mans schlong in your mouth.
Sun 15/06/03 at 15:37
Regular
Tiltawhirl wrote:
> So you'd be happy if it was a 'civilised' conversation about gay sex?

No! I mean a civilised conversation about gaming and stuff.

And maybe a little less of the retarded gibbering they always seem to do.
Sun 15/06/03 at 15:30
Regular
"Jog on, sunshine"
Yeah, it's the same. And they wonder why I ridicule them... :D

Yeah, WS' cool. Add him to your MSN contacts again and I'm sure he'll unblock you- he did for me.
Sun 15/06/03 at 15:30
Regular
So you'd be happy if it was a 'civilised' conversation about gay sex?
Page:

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Thank you very much for your help!
Top service for free - excellent - thank you very much for your help.
Wonderful...
... and so easy-to-use even for a technophobe like me. I had my website up in a couple of hours. Thank you.
Vivien

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.