GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"FOG: Realism"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 22/11/01 at 11:06
Regular
As modern gaming continually evolves, realism is playing a more predominant role but is realism the way forward or does it just shadow the more important aspects such as gameplay and narrative? I have a few examples to help answer my question.
First we look at the age-old, Beat 'em up genre. I've talked about this in another topic ('Fight Club') but I want to elaborate further. Energy Bars. If your bar is depleted, your out. Okay, fair enough, but why is it that when your health is at critical, a swift kick to the ankle can knock you out cold? If someone booted your ankle, you'd hop around and curse a bit, but K.O.'d. Instead, a system where only a blow to the head (if you'll pardon the expression) can knock out your opponent. And if you think your opponent will just block when he's on his last legs, innovate. For example, 'no go' areas. Hit one of these (Stomach, ankle and 'goolies', say), and your opponent will be left open for a few seconds as he clutches his throbbing........ankle (!?!). This keeps up the pressure and excitement until the last punch is taken.
Next, the popular sport genre, though more specifically, Football. The 'beautiful game' has come along way since its early day's of top-down action. But have gameplay, and the true spirit of the game been sacrificed for snazzy graphics and bone-crunching sound FX? Do all the complex moves, fancy celebrations and over-the-top action replays take the focus away from the real nature of the game, the Football itself? In real life, are 15 - 0 drummings common place a la FIFA, and do we regularly see players skip past 6 players, wave to the crowd then lob the keeper, ISS style? (Okay, maybe not wave to the crowd but still.....).
Another sport that has come along way is Skateboarding. Skateboarding games have only been done justice since the release of the hit Tony Hawk's Pro Skater. And though it all seems realistic at first glance, look closer. Not even Pro's like Mr Hawk himself can pull off some of the moves we frequently execute in the game. There seems to be double standards, physics have been traded for graphics.
There are SO many more examples I could mention, sneaking past guards under a cardboard box in Metal Gear Solid, or destroying a castle with with a few spearmen as in Age of Empires. I'm sure you can think of loads.
Finally though, realism is one thing, but don't we play games to escape reality. Okay, over to you guy's.

uksgamer2002
Thu 22/11/01 at 11:06
Regular
"Luck from Heaven"
As modern gaming continually evolves, realism is playing a more predominant role but is realism the way forward or does it just shadow the more important aspects such as gameplay and narrative? I have a few examples to help answer my question.
First we look at the age-old, Beat 'em up genre. I've talked about this in another topic ('Fight Club') but I want to elaborate further. Energy Bars. If your bar is depleted, your out. Okay, fair enough, but why is it that when your health is at critical, a swift kick to the ankle can knock you out cold? If someone booted your ankle, you'd hop around and curse a bit, but K.O.'d. Instead, a system where only a blow to the head (if you'll pardon the expression) can knock out your opponent. And if you think your opponent will just block when he's on his last legs, innovate. For example, 'no go' areas. Hit one of these (Stomach, ankle and 'goolies', say), and your opponent will be left open for a few seconds as he clutches his throbbing........ankle (!?!). This keeps up the pressure and excitement until the last punch is taken.
Next, the popular sport genre, though more specifically, Football. The 'beautiful game' has come along way since its early day's of top-down action. But have gameplay, and the true spirit of the game been sacrificed for snazzy graphics and bone-crunching sound FX? Do all the complex moves, fancy celebrations and over-the-top action replays take the focus away from the real nature of the game, the Football itself? In real life, are 15 - 0 drummings common place a la FIFA, and do we regularly see players skip past 6 players, wave to the crowd then lob the keeper, ISS style? (Okay, maybe not wave to the crowd but still.....).
Another sport that has come along way is Skateboarding. Skateboarding games have only been done justice since the release of the hit Tony Hawk's Pro Skater. And though it all seems realistic at first glance, look closer. Not even Pro's like Mr Hawk himself can pull off some of the moves we frequently execute in the game. There seems to be double standards, physics have been traded for graphics.
There are SO many more examples I could mention, sneaking past guards under a cardboard box in Metal Gear Solid, or destroying a castle with with a few spearmen as in Age of Empires. I'm sure you can think of loads.
Finally though, realism is one thing, but don't we play games to escape reality. Okay, over to you guy's.

uksgamer2002
Thu 22/11/01 at 11:11
uksgamer2002 wrote:
> Finally though, realism is one thing, but don't we play > games to escape reality. Okay, over to you guy's.

You've answered your own question! lol

I would say your Beat 'em up comments do make sense. It would be nice to see a bit more innovation on certain genres rather than graphical improvements.
Fri 23/11/01 at 01:09
Regular
"Evil Ryu"
GrimMetal wrote:
> uksgamer2002 wrote:
> Finally though, realism is one thing, but don't we
> play > games to escape reality. Okay, over to you guy's.

You've
> answered your own question! lol

I would say your Beat 'em up comments do make
> sense. It would be nice to see a bit more innovation on certain genres rather
> than graphical improvements.

That's very true indeed, but if games were more real, there would be no fun in them. Take simuluators as a prime example. Formular One 2001 - turn it on to sim mode and start having to stop and break, stop and break - the fun is lost.

Though - games that do look better in the realism part are game like Silent Hill 2, MGS2 and Gran Turismo 3.

Thanks
Fri 23/11/01 at 10:29
Regular
"Luck from Heaven"
At least someone appreciated my topic, thanx 'Son of Liberty'.
Fri 23/11/01 at 10:39
Regular
Realistic games would be boring, it's just that simple.

You have already taken a look at ISS, and if it was an absolutely true football sim, without all the shnanigans of taking on and beating players then it wouldn't be very interesting to play. I don't get very apssionate about whether or not a certain team on a computer game wins (England losing is a must though :D), but if I played the game, and wasn't able to pull out extraordinary goals and moves which you just don't see on the pitch every day, I'd be bored.

GT3 is another fine example. The game has some of the most realistic handling and car set-up of any game ever, but it doesn't have any damage effect on cars themselves. Could you imagine every race ending crash you have suffered trying to take a tight hairpin corner at 5mph over the tyres grip limit and slamming into a wall?? I couldn't, I do it so bleedin' often, especially when you are in cars such as the Toyota Yaris.

So quite simply, realism will reach a certain extent, but to make a playable and entertaining game, those realisms have to be exagerated and distorted so that the gamer could carry out actions which they wouldn't be able to do in a real life situation.
Fri 23/11/01 at 12:46
Regular
"not dead"
You expect realism in some things, but not others.

In beat em-ups you want to be able to leap over the other character, don't you?

It's fun.

In a football game you expect the physics to be realistic ie the way the ball bounces, how far a goalie can leap, how high you can jump, else it doesn't feel right.

Developers aren't stupid, they'll move towards realism where suitable, and away from it where not.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Great services and friendly support
I have been a subscriber to your service for more than 9 yrs. I have got at least 12 other people to sign up to Freeola. This is due to the great services offered and the responsive friendly support.
Impressive control panel
I have to say that I'm impressed with the features available having logged on... Loads of info - excellent.
Phil

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.