GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Baffled by email setup."

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 24/08/10 at 02:15
Regular
"(Given by wife)"
Mrs WBG here.

I tried to create an email link on WBG's InstantPro website and a message appeared saying the following;

" Could not perform this operation as the default mail client is not properly installed".

I've spent hours setting email and webmail and I thought everything WAS properly installed
What does it mean I've done wrong?
Ive put a link on one of the skyscrapers --will it work there? The message appeared after the email button was clicked.
Ive got to get this sorted before WBG is let loose! Please help.
Tue 24/08/10 at 22:31
Regular
"(Given by wife)"
Hmmm... wrote:
> Numnut wrote:
> Just so we all know - I've had a quick look at your site...
>
> That's cheating!!!
>
>
> EDIT: So to Mrs WBG, I was right in thinking it's only your PC
> that's not setup correctly it will be fine for your visitors.
>
> You should setup your email account in an 'email client', unless
> you are happy using Freeola webmail.
>
> See how you get on with the Freeola guides mentioned earlier.
>
> [s]Hmmm...[/s]

Webmail & email seem to be working ok! HUGE thank you for your help. But new horrors await! It's to do with the main content of the site.
Should I start a new thread?
Tue 24/08/10 at 19:06
"Are you sure?"
Numnut wrote:
> Just so we all know - I've had a quick look at your site...

That's cheating!!!

EDIT: So to Mrs WBG, I was right in thinking it's only your PC that's not setup correctly it will be fine for your visitors.

You should setup your email account in an 'email client', unless you are happy using Freeola webmail.

See how you get on with the Freeola guides mentioned earlier.

[s]Hmmm...[/s]
Tue 24/08/10 at 19:03
Staff
"Look! There's a..."
Just so we all know - I've had a quick look at your site and the mailto link on your skyscraper is set correctly, so visitors who click on the email link will be able to email you directly.

Any other email or email program/client issues you may be having please feel free to ask!
Tue 24/08/10 at 18:56
"Are you sure?"
Welsh Blagging Git wrote:
> I've done as you said and info is that Windows Mail is the
> default
> but I seem to recall that WM wasn't ok for email freedom?
> WBG's got Windows 7 and can't get Outlook. Should I change to
> Thunderbird ?
> No,site not public yet as I wanted to get everything sorted
> first.

I think you are getting a bit confused here - I know I am ;¬)

To check your email link on your website is working (which is what I think we are doing!) then it should show this in the status bar (very bottom) of your browser when you hover over the link:
mailto:[email protected]

If it does and assuming the email address is correct then it will work for all your visitors that have a PC with an email client setup.

This type of email link doesn't work if your visitors only use webmail etc. They would have to retype (cut/paste) the address in their webmail application. In theory if they haven't correctly setup an email client then they would see the same error message you are seeing.

Freeola 'Email Freedom' won't affect any of this, it's totally unrelated.

You may well have email setup issues (which we can try to help you with) but your website is for your visitors mostly and not you :¬)

I hope this makes some sense to you.

As a test try visiting another website that has an email link (rather than an email 'form'). If it's your PC that's not setup correctly then you should see a similar error on their site (you don't have to actually send an email, just see if you can start one!).

[s]Hmmm...[/s] My Freeola InstantPro Site
Tue 24/08/10 at 16:48
Staff
"The Killer Techie"
E-mail Freedom is compatible with most (if not all) e-mail clients, please choose your mail client purely on your own preference.

For setting up the E-mail Client you wish to use, take a look at our Support Guides.

If a guide isn't there for the client you want to use, drop us a message on our online support system.
Tue 24/08/10 at 16:27
Regular
"(Given by wife)"
Hmmm... wrote:
> If you are using Internet Explorer as your browser then go to
> Tools Internet Options Programs Tab.
>
> Check the default email application is correct.
>
> I'm happy to check the email link works for you if the page is
> public.
>
> [s]Hmmm...[/s]
> My Freeola
> InstantPro Site

I've done as you said and info is that Windows Mail is the default
but I seem to recall that WM wasn't ok for email freedom?
WBG's got Windows 7 and can't get Outlook. Should I change to Thunderbird ?
No,site not public yet as I wanted to get everything sorted first.
Tue 24/08/10 at 14:01
"Are you sure?"
If you are using Internet Explorer as your browser then go to
Tools > Internet Options > Programs Tab.

Check the default email application is correct.

I'm happy to check the email link works for you if the page is public.

Tue 24/08/10 at 13:53
Regular
"(Given by wife)"
thanks for reply. I set up email etc with Windows Live Mail.
I'll just have to check it all again.
Tue 24/08/10 at 08:28
"Are you sure?"
It doesn't sound as if you have an email address setup in an application ('email client') on your PC.
i.e. Outlook, Thunderbird, etc.

If that's the case then other visitors that do have an email account configured won't see that error. When they click your link (mailto) a 'new' email will launch.

Tue 24/08/10 at 02:15
Regular
"(Given by wife)"
Mrs WBG here.

I tried to create an email link on WBG's InstantPro website and a message appeared saying the following;

" Could not perform this operation as the default mail client is not properly installed".

I've spent hours setting email and webmail and I thought everything WAS properly installed
What does it mean I've done wrong?
Ive put a link on one of the skyscrapers --will it work there? The message appeared after the email button was clicked.
Ive got to get this sorted before WBG is let loose! Please help.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Wonderful...
... and so easy-to-use even for a technophobe like me. I had my website up in a couple of hours. Thank you.
Vivien
Many thanks!!
Registered my website with Freeola Sites on Tuesday. Now have full and comprehensive Google coverage for my site. Great stuff!!
John Shepherd

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.