GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Online games within games"

The "Sony Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 23/08/10 at 21:57
Regular
"What's basketball?"
I was thinking, as a way to spice up game matches online and make them more interesting and whatnot, how about if we made up our own little games to play in them? Not following? Well I'll share a few ideas of my own to start with, and I'll add anybody else's ideas as they come (and collect some more from other people over time):

Hide-n-Seek

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare/MW2

This can work in a number of ways, but you must ensure that you are playing on Hardcore mode, as it will be necessary to take out members of your own team. This also disables Killcam and HUD.

First of all, there's Search and Destroy Hide-n-Seek which, shockingly, is to be played on Hardcore Search and Destroy- due to the inability to respawn until the end of the match. One player is chosen as the seeker (via a vote, volunteer, a pre-hide-n-seek match or any other means), and they must go face against the nearest wall, counting to a pre-determined number agreed upon by the players, while the other players have to scatter to find a place to hide around the map. This should preferably be a rather large map, with many good spots to hide in. Naturally, it is the seeker's job to seek the other players out and kill them. They seeker should probably stick to using the knife, as to not away their whereabouts. Another necessity is that the people who are hiding are not allowed to resist their inevitable death. If you are found, YOU ARE FOUND!

If you fancy assisting the seeker, then a simply switch to Hardcore Free For All, so that fallen players will respawn and be able to hunt down others as well. This could possibly give hiders a bit more of a disadvantage if they happen be witnessed picking a hiding spot by anybody else. The last person to be found becomes the new seeker.

Hide-n-Seek could work well on most, if not all, shooters. Other notable mentions are Halo 3, Gears of Wars and Quantum of Solace.

Wacky Racing

Halo 3

Forge mode comes in really handy for this, but you are entirely welcome to devise your own obstacles and destinations on normal multiplayer maps if you can find a way. Of course, on Forge mode you are free to use ale the ramps and hindrances as you want. After you have your race course is ready, get yourself a warthog each and be on your way. Needless to say, you may need quite a wide space to drive along. In order to avoid road chaos (by, ironically, escalating it) you could go down the Mario Kart: Double Dash route and have somebody manning the turret in attempt to slow down the opposition.

This could also be played on games such as GTA 4.

Duck Duck Goose

All players must for a circle, with everybody facing outwards, and somebody has to be 'it'. Everybody will need to be crouching and the person who is 'it' has to go around the circle pronouncing the player they are stood in front of (facing said player) either a "duck" or a "goose". Whichever player is labelled "goose" has to chase him/her around the circle trying to kill him/her. If the "goose" succeeds in killing the person before they reach the "goose's" original spot, then "goose" gets to choose somebody else to be 'it'. Fail, and the "goose" of that round is now 'it'. For added fun, you could try doing it crawling!

This, again, could probably work with any shooter.

Tag

Halo 3/Gears of War(2)

Like some of the other games, it is up to one player to catch they other players. Whoever is chosen to be 'it' must chase the other players around the map. The reason Halo 3 and Gears of War are good for this is because of the ability to hit other players without actually killing them (which is impossible with the knife many games). Once somebody is tug, they are put in the position of tagging everyone. It would help if somebody said who was it through the mic, as that way the players would know who to stay away from*. However, if you are looking for more of a challenge, you could always keep it a secret throughout.

*Saying that, you could always just play, what I like to call, "Deadly Tag" in which players are allowed to kill each over. This would reveal clearly who is 'it' throughout the game, and avoid any sneaky business.

Like Hide-n-Seek, you could also have a group tag session, where all players who are tug remain 'it' through the duration of the game. Of course, it would be best to play this on Infection in Halo 3, for obvious reasons.

So that's what I've got so far. If anybody has any ideas they would like to add, just mention them in this thread. Perhaps we will get a chance to try some out sometime. :)
Wed 25/08/10 at 16:22
Regular
"How Ironic"
Yes there is

Was last updated in February so it should be up-to-date.
Wed 25/08/10 at 14:37
Regular
"What's basketball?"
Yeah, they would only work in private games, unless you can somehow convince random online gamers to play along...

I have a few peoples' Gamertags on this site already. I believe there used to be a thread with online details somewhere on this site...?
Tue 24/08/10 at 15:22
Regular
"How Ironic"
Extremely interesting idea. I can't imagine this working in a public game, would have to stick to a private game with friends, but apart from that, I want to try it out! Not too sure about the Duck Duck Goose game, but Hide n Seek sounds brilliant on CoD!
Mon 23/08/10 at 21:57
Regular
"What's basketball?"
I was thinking, as a way to spice up game matches online and make them more interesting and whatnot, how about if we made up our own little games to play in them? Not following? Well I'll share a few ideas of my own to start with, and I'll add anybody else's ideas as they come (and collect some more from other people over time):

Hide-n-Seek

This can work in a number of ways, but you must ensure that you are playing on Hardcore mode, as it will be necessary to take out members of your own team. This also disables Killcam and HUD.

First of all, there's Search and Destroy Hide-n-Seek which, shockingly, is to be played on Hardcore Search and Destroy- due to the inability to respawn until the end of the match. One player is chosen as the seeker (via a vote, volunteer, a pre-hide-n-seek match or any other means), and they must go face against the nearest wall, counting to a pre-determined number agreed upon by the players, while the other players have to scatter to find a place to hide around the map. This should preferably be a rather large map, with many good spots to hide in. Naturally, it is the seeker's job to seek the other players out and kill them. They seeker should probably stick to using the knife, as to not away their whereabouts. Another necessity is that the people who are hiding are not allowed to resist their inevitable death. If you are found, YOU ARE FOUND!

If you fancy assisting the seeker, then a simply switch to Hardcore Free For All, so that fallen players will respawn and be able to hunt down others as well. This could possibly give hiders a bit more of a disadvantage if they happen be witnessed picking a hiding spot by anybody else. The last person to be found becomes the new seeker.

Hide-n-Seek could work well on most, if not all, shooters. Other notable mentions are Halo 3, Gears of Wars and Quantum of Solace.

Wacky Racing

Halo 3

Forge mode comes in really handy for this, but you are entirely welcome to devise your own obstacles and destinations on normal multiplayer maps if you can find a way. Of course, on Forge mode you are free to use ale the ramps and hindrances as you want. After you have your race course is ready, get yourself a warthog each and be on your way. Needless to say, you may need quite a wide space to drive along. In order to avoid road chaos (by, ironically, escalating it) you could go down the Mario Kart: Double Dash route and have somebody manning the turret in attempt to slow down the opposition.

This could also be played on games such as GTA 4.

Duck Duck Goose

All players must for a circle, with everybody facing outwards, and somebody has to be 'it'. Everybody will need to be crouching and the person who is 'it' has to go around the circle pronouncing the player they are stood in front of (facing said player) either a "duck" or a "goose". Whichever player is labelled "goose" has to chase him/her around the circle trying to kill him/her. If the "goose" succeeds in killing the person before they reach the "goose's" original spot, then "goose" gets to choose somebody else to be 'it'. Fail, and the "goose" of that round is now 'it'. For added fun, you could try doing it crawling!

This, again, could probably work with any shooter.

Tag

Halo 3/Gears of War(2)

Like some of the other games, it is up to one player to catch they other players. Whoever is chosen to be 'it' must chase the other players around the map. The reason Halo 3 and Gears of War are good for this is because of the ability to hit other players without actually killing them (which is impossible with the knife many games). Once somebody is tug, they are put in the position of tagging everyone. It would help if somebody said who was it through the mic, as that way the players would know who to stay away from*. However, if you are looking for more of a challenge, you could always keep it a secret throughout.

*Saying that, you could always just play, what I like to call, "Deadly Tag" in which players are allowed to kill each over. This would reveal clearly who is 'it' throughout the game, and avoid any sneaky business.

Like Hide-n-Seek, you could also have a group tag session, where all players who are tug remain 'it' through the duration of the game. Of course, it would be best to play this on Infection in Halo 3, for obvious reasons.

So that's what I've got so far. If anybody has any ideas they would like to add, just mention them in this thread. Perhaps we will get a chance to try some out sometime. :)

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Excellent
Excellent communication, polite and courteous staff - I was dealt with professionally. 10/10
Just a quick note to say thanks for a very good service ... in fact excellent service..
I am very happy with your customer service and speed and quality of my broadband connection .. keep up the good work . and a good new year to all of you at freeola.
Matthew Bradley

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.