GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
""Top(ic) o' the mornin' to you!""

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 22/11/01 at 03:57
Regular
Ok, here's a nice wee gift for all you early birds out there. I have nothing better to do at the mo', so I'll present you all with the morning's topic!

Its probably been done before, but what the hey...

Today we are here to talk about earliest gaming memories. We're all of varying ages (mine especially, it varies from 16 to 40 throughout the day) and will have come across gaming at different stages in our lives.

Some of us on here will be quite new to gaming, seeing as the average age of the "young 'uns" on here is roughly twelve, I'd estimate they came into gaming within the playstation generation.

We have a lot that fall into the 14-17 category who's introduction to gaming was probably at the hands of the megadrive and SNES.

Then we have the older folk, 19+ (I'll not embarass our local monster) who became aware of the joys of gaming at roughly somewhere between the Atari ST vs. Amiga warfare, and "pong".
I fully acknowledge that not everyone of those age groups will have approached gaming at my specified stages, for instance some of the "older" gamers, may well have joined at around the playstation revolution, whilst some of the 14-17 group may have memories that stretch as far back as Atari ST and Amiga.

Anyway, on to my point or question (depending on how you look at it).

What do you regard as the pivotal game in your life? What was it that attracted you to the world of gaming? For some of you it may have been a case of being drawn in by the hysteria of the general public accepting gaming and the pull of the playstation was just too strong. For others (like myself), it was probably some amazing game or other that intrigued you enough to forgo the brand of "geek" and to start gaming anyway.

So, in a nutshell, what game "initiated" you into the gaming world?

Discuss amongst yourselves, I shall save my contribution for another sleepless night!
Mon 23/08/10 at 21:55
"The Boss Lady"
Montage Film Reviews freelance writer Rob Gallagher MSt has written a review in praise of Last Exit to Brooklyn.

To read the review and buy the DVD see HERE
Thu 22/11/01 at 09:54
Regular
"smile, it's free"
You know, I can't remember life before gaming.

I know I bought a Gameboy on release, which I believe was in 1989. Being 18 now, I'd have been about six at the time.

I also know I got a Spectrum for christmas one year, but I'm not sure when... it was a spectrum +2A, which was the one released in 1986, so it would've been within a couple of years of that. So I'd have been about five?

I only got the spcetrum because I asked for it though.. so I must've played games before then. I know I used to visit my cousins a lot, they were older than me and had a spectrum 48k with god knows how many games.

I couldn't have been much younger, surely?

I'm sure there's a pivotal game back there, but I'll never remember it now. Since then there's beena blur of games and consoles, flying past at such an astonishing rate I can't really single out any of them. I was already hooked ;)
Thu 22/11/01 at 09:31
Regular
"Infantalised Forums"
Jet Set Willy on the Spectrum.
I had played the Atari console thing and it was ok, but then the Speccy came out with 48k.

Jet Set Willy, Manic Miner...these are the games legends are born from.
(they suck now,but I was young and stupid)
Thu 22/11/01 at 09:25
Regular
"Not your monkey"
i know its not really that old but the first games i played were Dizzy and Manic Minor for the spectrum! Oh, and a mission impossible game for the C64
Thu 22/11/01 at 09:05
Regular
"Digging!"
my first gameing moment... i think it was gunstar heros (great game) or donkey kong country (i remember being stuned by the graphics at the time). my first games i owned was zelda ocarina of time(i think is the greatist game ever made) and when i hear the music now it reminds me of back in the spring of 1990 something, carnt seem to remember the year, and the fun i had playing it and looking foward to the end of school to go play on it!
Thu 22/11/01 at 08:43
Regular
"not dead"
Happy birthday FM!

My earliest memory is seeing a relative playing River Raid on an Atari 2600.

I wanted one.

The Atari ruled.

I guess I've just never grown out of playing games, and why should I?
Thu 22/11/01 at 04:55
Regular
"Copyright: FM Inc."
Back in 1977/8 Pong was a bit of a novelty, I was just a 12 year old kid, and it was more of a distraction from playing than an actual gaming pursuit. Same with the arcades, I could take or leave Space Invaders and go play on the pier rides with my mates instead.

The thing that got me hooked was creating my first few games on the ZX81 a couple of years later, getting to know what was fun and what wasn't (back then typing in 9999 lines of BASIC and then discovering that the program didn't work wasn't fun). That was when gaming turned into an active pursuit, because I realised back then that there was a lot of fun to be had if you could only tap into the right games.

Then in around 1992 Rings of Power was released for the 16-bit Sega Megadrive. Nothing special, but my first venture into the RPG genre, and I was hooked. Then of course Final Fantasy 7 hit the PSX and my gaming course was set.

So for me the pivotal game was 'Rings of Power' and the thing that attacted me to gaming was the fact that it's the most fun you can have with your pants on.

BTW, I just turned 35 today, (halfway to Hell), and was thinking about what I have achieved in my life up to this point. All I can say is that so far I've had a bloody good time and long may it continue. Thank God for videogaming :)
Thu 22/11/01 at 03:57
Ok, here's a nice wee gift for all you early birds out there. I have nothing better to do at the mo', so I'll present you all with the morning's topic!

Its probably been done before, but what the hey...

Today we are here to talk about earliest gaming memories. We're all of varying ages (mine especially, it varies from 16 to 40 throughout the day) and will have come across gaming at different stages in our lives.

Some of us on here will be quite new to gaming, seeing as the average age of the "young 'uns" on here is roughly twelve, I'd estimate they came into gaming within the playstation generation.

We have a lot that fall into the 14-17 category who's introduction to gaming was probably at the hands of the megadrive and SNES.

Then we have the older folk, 19+ (I'll not embarass our local monster) who became aware of the joys of gaming at roughly somewhere between the Atari ST vs. Amiga warfare, and "pong".
I fully acknowledge that not everyone of those age groups will have approached gaming at my specified stages, for instance some of the "older" gamers, may well have joined at around the playstation revolution, whilst some of the 14-17 group may have memories that stretch as far back as Atari ST and Amiga.

Anyway, on to my point or question (depending on how you look at it).

What do you regard as the pivotal game in your life? What was it that attracted you to the world of gaming? For some of you it may have been a case of being drawn in by the hysteria of the general public accepting gaming and the pull of the playstation was just too strong. For others (like myself), it was probably some amazing game or other that intrigued you enough to forgo the brand of "geek" and to start gaming anyway.

So, in a nutshell, what game "initiated" you into the gaming world?

Discuss amongst yourselves, I shall save my contribution for another sleepless night!

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Very pleased
Very pleased with the help given by your staff. They explained technical details in an easy way and were patient when providing information to a non expert like me.
Excellent support service!
I have always found the support staff to provide an excellent service on every occasion I've called.
Ben

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.