GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"I need some new games - Help me decide!"

The "Sony Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Fri 20/08/10 at 20:59
Regular
"How Ironic"
After my recent GAD, and recieving some money for keeping the house in good shape, I've accumulated £70, which is extremely rare for me seeing as I'm always skint. So why am I boasting to you all? Well I need some help purchasing a few good titles, instead of blowing my only gaming funds on aload of rubbish.

I'm still considering purchasing Mass Effect 1&2 after some advice from pb, but the field's completely open. Any particular games you've played that you've really enjoyed, just drop a line here, and I'll check them out on YouTube etc.

Oh, and I don't particularly want to buy one brand new game for £50. Would prefer to get 2 or 3, even 4 cheaper games.

Thanks in advance everyone.

UPDATE:
Quick list I whipped up of some I might get. Any of them are aweful, or the price looks too high for what the game is worth, please let me know:

Mass Effect 2 £13.93
Mass Effect £9.99
Left for Dead 2 £13.97
Alan Wake £17.93
Orange Box £10.96
The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion £17.99
Fallout 3 £14.00
Mon 23/08/10 at 22:40
Regular
"How Ironic"
Sounds like what the Saw and Resi games are all about! Surely the fact that you don't know if you can escape are what make the games so unique?
Mon 23/08/10 at 22:00
Regular
"@optometrytweet"
That is true. With me I like to have control. With Saw and the Resi series, movement and camera angles really grate on my nerves as they are a tad too unresponsive for me. Alan was a little too fluid, I must admit, but still felt as though I had a bit more input in the game.

I think this may just be down to my fear rationale. If I am in a place I am uncomfortable with, I like to be able to know if there is an escape and that I can make a noise to alert people to the situation. Alan Wake provided that in a game, so I could enjoy playing. I didn't enjoy the others as a lack of control cranked up my unease to untolerable level. Plus I found them tedious!

But each to their own!
Mon 23/08/10 at 19:36
Regular
"And in last place.."
No need to apologise HM, I know I'm in the minority. From the off I didn't like Wake as a character but the 1st epsiode was super and a frienddashed out to buy it after my glowing report. After that it I felt it ran out of ideas and lost all the tension from repetition, especially the extensive use of forest. I also think there were some wasted opportunities like the mine, more could have been made of that. And I felt Wake was a little agile, it was way too easy to use the dodge move and avoid the nasties

It seems we are opposites in our survival horrors. You like Alan Wake, I didn't. I like Saw, you didn't. It's good to know this for when either of us plays the next survival horror :)
Mon 23/08/10 at 18:53
Regular
"How Ironic"
I've got good news for you Jason; there is a second one coming out! And yes I did notice you join my CoD game ... :P
Mon 23/08/10 at 16:22
Regular
"@optometrytweet"
Sorry Dav, I'm going to have to disagree. True, the theme from the first episode continues, the storyline is immense. It's the first survival horror I've sat down and played beginning to end.

But, we're all entitled to our opinions and I can see how that view would be made (I'm having memories of the Saw: Videogame...)
Sun 22/08/10 at 23:57
Regular
"How Ironic"
Thanks guys (and gal ;D), think I'll give it a few days or weeks. Not in a rush, got too much work to do over the next week to play games anyway.
Sun 22/08/10 at 20:08
Regular
"And in last place.."
There are a lot of people who love Alan Wake but I found I'd pretty much seen it all by the end of epsiode 1. I really enjoyed the 1st episdoe but then it just went downhill after that and I thought it was really disappointing. But, as I say, there are plenty who disagree.
Sun 22/08/10 at 13:09
Regular
"Let's blow stuff up"
Fallout 3 is good. Choose that one.
Sat 21/08/10 at 19:37
Regular
"How Ironic"
Well I've temporarily found a place to put it horizontally. Tryed Mass Effect 2 demo, seemed an ok game, the amount of cutscenes was really annoying me, but I like the chat options.
It's not the greatest demo I've tryed, but considering I don't like the Sci-fi genre, it's alright.

Mafia 2 demo is suprisingly good, seems abit like GTA though! Will be purchasing that once the initial release price has come way down (£20, and then we'll start talking, but £40 seems too much).

Still, got all the time in the world, might wait abit.
Sat 21/08/10 at 19:25
Regular
"Zebra Three 537-ONN"
Sometimes my disc tray doesn't open. I usually just give the top of the machine a tap and it works fine.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Continue this excellent work...
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do, I am delighted.
LOVE it....
You have made it so easy to build & host a website!!!
Gemma

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.