GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"A Sad Month for PS2?"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 21/11/01 at 21:08
Regular
Well, I was really excited for this month with the release of several games i just couldn't wait for but what i have found is i have been let down a great deal.

1st - WWF Smackdown:Just Bring It - this was the title I really wanted to play, and sadly this one has let me down the most. To start, the graphics just were a poor effort. I mean it is obvious that the capabilities are there to make this look pretty damn real but no. The graphics look like crap. The hair esspecially; but hey graphics aren't everything, gameplay is where it is at. But hey again, the fighting engine isn't any better. Its pretty sad when you have a wrestling game on a beastly system like the ps2 and the N64's WWF No Mercy is a much better game to play. My overall view of this game is that the developes were lazy and just used previously developed engines improved on them a bit and then tried to make the game good by pumping it full of great extras like the hell in a cell and all those other special matches the only good thing about this game is the story mode which is probably the best i've seen but still is far from what it could be but in my opinion WWF No Mercy for the N64 is still the best wrestling game on the market.

2nd Metal Gear Solid 2:Sons of LIberty - well now that I ranted on and on about smackdown i'll keep this one short. Lucky enough I got an American import form my mate just after the American launch; so this is the dirt dished..... I was simply let down; and I blame this on the media. All the hype made me think I was gonna be getting some kind of super game and lets face it. This game is good, but is it as good as all the reviews and hype said it was? Absolutely not (we've bsically seen it all before) and did anyone else think the story kinda wasn't that great?

3rd Grand Theft Auto 3 - Lastly, the greatest game on Earth. Not much to say on this but if you ain't got a PS2 or copy of the game I strongly urge you to buy one - now. You honestly won't be dissapointed.

Well, those are the 3 games I wanted the most and it turned out there are a lot of other games out there that are better than tow of them. Some even from older consoles. I mean the WWF thing really bugs me (it really does),
so if there were any games that let you down post it here and let me know what you think about my opinions but don't get me wrong; i am a ps2 fan through and through, but the new games just seem to be letting me down. Hopefully Jak and Daxter, Devil May Cry and Agent Under Fire will be better, but if not; my alliance may quickly go to Microsoft (and Halo)........
Fri 20/08/10 at 15:44
If you get a 'null' account message when you try to get POD images on the www.thepalletnetworkltd.co.uk website using Internet Explorer then this is down to a security setting.

Go to Tools then Internet Options. Choose Security then Internet. Choose Custom level.

Go down to the option of -

Allow websites to prompt for information using scripted windows

Change this setting to ENABLE.
Fri 23/11/01 at 02:02
Regular
"Evil Ryu"
same goes for capcom vs snk 2
Fri 23/11/01 at 02:02
Regular
"Evil Ryu"
i hope wipeout fusion makes it this month
Thu 22/11/01 at 19:49
Regular
Ant wrote:

Nah, No Mercy was dull.
> It took half an hour and immense finger tapping to do a ladder match.

Must be an Amature at the game then, becasue i win a Ladder match on Mo mercy within Two minutes easy.
Thu 22/11/01 at 10:21
Regular
"Infantalised Forums"
I'd agree with the Smackdown 3 opinion.
I wanted that game bad, looked forward to improved story mode with no annoying cut-scenes to delay every season day over and over.

Except there is no career mode.
There's a shoddy story mode where you win and finish in 3 matches.
No opportunity to race a mate through the rankings, just 3 matches and done.

Rubbish.
Graphics are ok, but no PPV and no career mode.
Single player option is limited with story mode and it's just plain..well..disappointing.
Still, GTA3 and Silent Hill 2 to keep me going until I can complain about Metal Gear Solid 2.
Thu 22/11/01 at 09:55
Regular
"no relation to Jim"
I know, I know. Perhaps I was a bit harsh with MGS2. It's got a great story and gameplay etc; but it's just that there isn't much difference to other 3rd person action-adventures out there at the moment (or in the future). I still reside with my Smackdown verdict however.
Thu 22/11/01 at 09:04
Ant wrote:
> And MGS2 can't be disappointing. It got an amazing 9.6 from Gamespot, which says
> it all.

Gamespot gave Tony Hawk 3 a perfect 10.0. I think that says it all :p
Thu 22/11/01 at 08:51
Regular
"Digging!"
i agree with most of that. i am so wanting gt3 on my pc (my pc never crashes and is fast. and i carnt be arsed to spend £200 on a ps2 when im saving up for me game cube:)I played smack down at a friends house and was disaponted, but i dont know about metal gear solid, ill take your word for it.

anyway... i think there are lots of great games that dont get the hype they desevre. ecks vs sever for gba is a great game, but hasnt had any hype and i think everyone who has a gba should buy it. it is well worth £29.99 or whatever.
Thu 22/11/01 at 08:38
Regular
"I like cheese"
Tiltawhirl wrote:
> Ant wrote:
> Humm...In Smackdown 3 the graphics are brilliant, and the
> actual wrestling is
> much better. No Mercy was slow and dull. The only prob
> with SD3 is the lack of
> Create-A-PPV, and the poor story mode. I think you
> have it the wrong way round a
> little.

The only reason you say No
> Mercy was slow is because you're used to the speeded up Wrestlers on steroids
> fighting of the original Smackdowns. I can't speak for SM3, but most people will
> agree that the original Smackdowns where pants compared to No Mercy.

Nah, No Mercy was dull. It took half an hour and immense finger tapping to do a ladder match.
Thu 22/11/01 at 00:41
Regular
Tiltawhirl wrote:

The only reason you say No
> Mercy was slow is because you're used to the speeded up Wrestlers on steroids
> fighting of the original Smackdowns.

I think the speed of No mercy (the lack of it) is a major let down. The actual gameplay is amazing (perfect for a wrestling game in my opinion) but the slow down really ruins the game. If NO mercy had the same Speed of Wrestlemania 2000 then it would have been the greatest wrestling game ever no doubt.

On the view of Smackdown:JBI, well i'm dissapointed by it. BUt i was expecting to be disspointed by it, but not by this much. I hated the original Smackdowns on the PSone, but i actually like the actual gameplay of SD:JBI. It runs very smooth and the speed is perfect. THe only major flaw is that initially i found it hard to focus on other wrestlers, but in time you can get used to it.]

BUt wasnt everyone looking soooo forward to Story mode? well i was, i thought it was gonna be amazing. BUt it is completly the opposite. Its boring, you cant skip the text fast, some stories end in 3 matches, and it isnt at fully interactive as it should have been.

This isnt a truly "next gen" game. I dont know why they done it like this, maybe to make us look forward to SMackdown 4 more? becasue of the improvements that can be made...

anyway, this is a major letdown and for a next gen Wrestler on the PS2 you will have to wait till Smackdown 4, becasue SD:JBI just takes the biscuit. BUt hopefully RAW is war on the X-box, and Wrestlemainia 2002 on the Gamecube will show us how a true next gen wrester should be done.

last note...a speeded up no mercy would be perfect!

:[ ortega :[

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Continue this excellent work...
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do, I am delighted.
I've been with Freeola for 14 years...
I've been with Freeola for 14 years now, and in that time you have proven time and time again to be a top-ranking internet service provider and unbeatable hosting service. Thank you.
Anthony

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.