GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"The Gaming Industry"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 21/11/01 at 19:36
Regular
Hey everyone, glad you could make it. I will be your host today, so anyone not a part of this topic – GO AWAY – LOL

Few…that was a close one…

Is it what we all thought it to be - HAHA – Perhaps a little too late to ask such a question?

Okay…who here is familiar with the Gscube? Come on; don’t be shy to raise your hand. I can see you thinking about it. Go on. Fine…let me explain in that case…

Sony developed the Gscube. Over a year, a little while before the PS2 was released in the UK, Sony had developed ‘mock-up’ for their Gscube. It was classified as 16 PS2’s under the bonnet. Sounds incredible doesn’t it, and also hard to believe maybe? Well, yeah, it does. But I wonder…If they madder this a year ago, why can Sony not estimate the right time for the release pf the PS3. What’s wrong with it all?
After all…the Gscube has more than enough power.

Unfortunately I have read in the first issue of PSM2 magazine that Sony are using the Gscube to add special effects as good as movies, into their PS2 games. But for some reason, this won’t be happening for quite a few years. So what’s I point I ask? Because, the PS3 will be about near enough that time anyway.
And let’s not forget about XBOX and Gamecube – there are without doubt, going to be very revolutionary to the gaming industry. Many development companies have already ‘backed up’ both consoles, making most of their titles exclusive to those machines. Looks like Sony are losing out on so much – but it does not stop there for Sony. They have the Hard Disk Drive arriving a little after the New Year. Hopefully it shall be in our hands before 2002, but I guess that only time will tell. Anyway, they also have their PS2 screen, already selling large in Japan. They have many third-party modems being developed as we speak, plus many ore game in development.
So in other words…Sony has nothing to worry about. In my opinion though, they do have a lot to worry about, because competition is at hand - The XBOX and the Gamecube.

But what lays ahead for these other greatly talked about consoles. Well…let us begin with the Gamecube shall we - I like leaving best for last (meaning the XBOX). So anyway, the Gamecube…exclusives like Luigi’s Mansion (really cool by the way), third -party modes and broadband, a hard drive (I think), but no DVD playback.
By now, your face has turned from bad to worse, (just kidding) – you ask, “How comes no DVD playback”? Well I‘ll tell you…I haven’t the slightest idea. Wait… actually I do. That’s right…Nintendo have confirmed that companies (Sony being a prime example) are pushing the gaming industry away from it’s original home – consoles were made to play games, so why are they now playing DVD movies as well, quote Nintendo. Well…I reckon it’s because other companies as thoughtful as Sony and Microsoft are allowing us to see the world of gaming in a different aspect - A whole new dimension more if you will.
Look at Microsoft – games like Halo, the best graphics you will ever encounter, the highest quality of gaming you will ever witness, and not to mention the amount of games to show it all off with. A Hard Drive? It’s there. A modem? It’s there? Exclusive titles? Lots and lots of them. The ability to make Gamecube and Sony shiver in fear…YOU BET!

So what is my point at the end of the day you may wonder? Well…here they are…
· Gscube should be out for us to buy – not just for game developers to have the privilege of it.
· The PS3 should be decided already for an early releases – they have the power – they have the technology
· With all this power and technology, why do the arcades still run at 128 Bit graphics boards? The only difference with them and the consoles, is that there aren’t any loading times, the graphics are far more Anti-Alliased, and you can actually sit in a car when playing a racing game – HAHA
· The Gamecube has a huge line-up, inbuilt HDD, great processing power modem - something for Sony to worry about maybe?
· Same for the XBOX - Only difference – the XBOX is far better in the graphics league, the games, the technology, and it comes from a company who knows about computer technology – ph yeah, it also plays DVD movies (well, looks like a big difference in fact)
· XBOX will corner the gaming market…no question about it.
Wed 21/11/01 at 19:49
"period drama"
heh! bigger than the telly.

forklift's at dawn....
Wed 21/11/01 at 19:44
Regular
"Evil Ryu"
FinalFantasyFanatic wrote:
> i saw that gscube in some mag once.
it looked cool!

no furthur comments.

hmmm...It does look quite large for a home console don't you agree?
Wed 21/11/01 at 19:39
"period drama"
i saw that gscube in some mag once.
it looked cool!

no furthur comments.
Wed 21/11/01 at 19:36
Regular
"Evil Ryu"
Hey everyone, glad you could make it. I will be your host today, so anyone not a part of this topic – GO AWAY – LOL

Few…that was a close one…

Is it what we all thought it to be - HAHA – Perhaps a little too late to ask such a question?

Okay…who here is familiar with the Gscube? Come on; don’t be shy to raise your hand. I can see you thinking about it. Go on. Fine…let me explain in that case…

Sony developed the Gscube. Over a year, a little while before the PS2 was released in the UK, Sony had developed ‘mock-up’ for their Gscube. It was classified as 16 PS2’s under the bonnet. Sounds incredible doesn’t it, and also hard to believe maybe? Well, yeah, it does. But I wonder…If they madder this a year ago, why can Sony not estimate the right time for the release pf the PS3. What’s wrong with it all?
After all…the Gscube has more than enough power.

Unfortunately I have read in the first issue of PSM2 magazine that Sony are using the Gscube to add special effects as good as movies, into their PS2 games. But for some reason, this won’t be happening for quite a few years. So what’s I point I ask? Because, the PS3 will be about near enough that time anyway.
And let’s not forget about XBOX and Gamecube – there are without doubt, going to be very revolutionary to the gaming industry. Many development companies have already ‘backed up’ both consoles, making most of their titles exclusive to those machines. Looks like Sony are losing out on so much – but it does not stop there for Sony. They have the Hard Disk Drive arriving a little after the New Year. Hopefully it shall be in our hands before 2002, but I guess that only time will tell. Anyway, they also have their PS2 screen, already selling large in Japan. They have many third-party modems being developed as we speak, plus many ore game in development.
So in other words…Sony has nothing to worry about. In my opinion though, they do have a lot to worry about, because competition is at hand - The XBOX and the Gamecube.

But what lays ahead for these other greatly talked about consoles. Well…let us begin with the Gamecube shall we - I like leaving best for last (meaning the XBOX). So anyway, the Gamecube…exclusives like Luigi’s Mansion (really cool by the way), third -party modes and broadband, a hard drive (I think), but no DVD playback.
By now, your face has turned from bad to worse, (just kidding) – you ask, “How comes no DVD playback”? Well I‘ll tell you…I haven’t the slightest idea. Wait… actually I do. That’s right…Nintendo have confirmed that companies (Sony being a prime example) are pushing the gaming industry away from it’s original home – consoles were made to play games, so why are they now playing DVD movies as well, quote Nintendo. Well…I reckon it’s because other companies as thoughtful as Sony and Microsoft are allowing us to see the world of gaming in a different aspect - A whole new dimension more if you will.
Look at Microsoft – games like Halo, the best graphics you will ever encounter, the highest quality of gaming you will ever witness, and not to mention the amount of games to show it all off with. A Hard Drive? It’s there. A modem? It’s there? Exclusive titles? Lots and lots of them. The ability to make Gamecube and Sony shiver in fear…YOU BET!

So what is my point at the end of the day you may wonder? Well…here they are…
· Gscube should be out for us to buy – not just for game developers to have the privilege of it.
· The PS3 should be decided already for an early releases – they have the power – they have the technology
· With all this power and technology, why do the arcades still run at 128 Bit graphics boards? The only difference with them and the consoles, is that there aren’t any loading times, the graphics are far more Anti-Alliased, and you can actually sit in a car when playing a racing game – HAHA
· The Gamecube has a huge line-up, inbuilt HDD, great processing power modem - something for Sony to worry about maybe?
· Same for the XBOX - Only difference – the XBOX is far better in the graphics league, the games, the technology, and it comes from a company who knows about computer technology – ph yeah, it also plays DVD movies (well, looks like a big difference in fact)
· XBOX will corner the gaming market…no question about it.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Just a quick note to say thanks for a very good service ... in fact excellent service..
I am very happy with your customer service and speed and quality of my broadband connection .. keep up the good work . and a good new year to all of you at freeola.
Matthew Bradley
Wonderful...
... and so easy-to-use even for a technophobe like me. I had my website up in a couple of hours. Thank you.
Vivien

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.