GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Out Of Your League"

The "Sony Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Fri 06/08/10 at 11:44
Regular
"And in last place.."
Do you have a game you play online where you just know you are never going to win or even come close?

I've been playing Tiger Woods 2011 online this week. I entered my little golfer into an Amateur tournament. I finished +2 which isn't great but it's still early days and my golfer's stats are still low. The person at the top of the table scored a round of -24.

I then tried a 4 round tournament and my scores were +2, +3, -2, -3. Getting slightly better.

Then I look at the person at the top of the leaderboard who has recorded scores of -22, -22, -22,-22. The person in 2nd place has -22, -21, -21, -21.

With the scores I've got I don't expect to be competing yet but I'm several hundred places off the top spot and only 30 or 40 spaces of last place which is a terrible score of +191 for the 4 rounds.

It's my first venture online but already I have little interest in playing again. Even at my height of Tiger Woods-ing (the 04 version on the PS2) I've never managed to reach -22 or -24 for a round.

Perhaps it's just a case of these people should not be playing in an Amateur tournament.
Sat 07/08/10 at 14:02
Regular
"How Ironic"
The only game I've got like this is oddly Tiger Woods PGA Tour 08 (which I picked up for about £5).
Sat 07/08/10 at 08:01
Regular
"Short Attention Sp"
Playing online raises all the bars. People online just want to win, no matter what. If this means going into a lower skill level to stomp all over lesser players, then some of them will happily do this.It is up to the developer to find ways of stopping this happening. Halo 3 has 'Basic Training', I think, that is only open to skill levels 1-5. Why doesn't every game have something similar?

I always used to leave games if I was winning too easily, but some people don't care about a challenge. The other side is that sometimes people who are much better than you are not even playing the same game as you. I will never leave until Game Over, but if I am miles ahead of my opponent I will try and make the most of my time in the game with them. Maybe show them a trick or two along the way. If I am miles behind, I will try and eke out some form of enjoyment.
Fri 06/08/10 at 15:15
Regular
"And in last place.."
pb wrote:
> Most games have some sort of player matching, but there should
> be more emphasis on this by the stats you've gained both online
> and offline, matching people more closely.

I'd agree with this. Some games restrict entry to some games modes e.g. once you are past rank 10 then you can't play in the Beginner mode.

As you say, if the novices feel they can compete then they have the option to do so but the professionals need to stay and play with the big boys.

In Tiger 2011 there is no reason why EA can't have a tournament where you can only use your own golfer and restrict entry based on the golfer's stats or the level you have reached.
Fri 06/08/10 at 14:17
"possibly impossible"
Shooters are the ones I find the hardest to compete in, Gears of War 2 the other week had a influx of hugely talented players during the 20x points event and it was almost impossible to win games at times, even with better players than me (ie: most people) in my team.

This is why it's really important for developers to come up with ways to match you against other players better.

Most games have some sort of player matching, but there should be more emphasis on this by the stats you've gained both online and offline, matching people more closely.

Obviously this is all optional, with the choice still being available to go up against the big hitters.
Fri 06/08/10 at 14:14
Regular
"And in last place.."
Once I get into my stride then I'll be scoring better but if these people don't move into the skill group they should really be part of then there seems little point in playing the online tournaments. For these people a par on any hole is the end of their challenge, it doesn't belong in the Amateur tournament.

I wouldn't expect to win any of the tournaments but it would be nice to think that I have a chance of a respectable finish.
Fri 06/08/10 at 12:46
Regular
"Too Orangy For Crow"
It does seem that some people have the knack when it comes to online games. I'm terrible at shooters and it doesn't matter how much I play, how much I tinker with the sensitivity and controls etc, I can't make enough of an impact. I don't think I've ever had 10 or more kills in a single online game.

I also have trouble breaking into the top echelons of driving games. Most of my trouble is that I have the knowledge of how a car is reacting when I drive but I can't apply that to the car setups. It's a mental block I can't get past. I seem to hit my peak and it is reasonably far away from top level.

As for Tiger Woods games, I've never had trouble getting low scores. Even back in the old PGA games on the Megadrive, I've never had trouble with getting under par scores. My best score is 46 on Tiger Woods games. I've also shot a few 49s and my best on the last Tiger Woods game I bought (the 07 version) was a 51.

For me, I've found I can usually work out how to adjust for the wind, getting the ball in the right areas to get a good shot at the pin and then executing the approach shot. I can even make long putts. I still wouldn't declare myself the best at it though. I find getting holes in one a problem and I know some players that don't have a problem with that.

I guess some aren't meant to be the best but I, for one, won't stop trying. I'd love to see my name at the top of the timesheets just once or be the best in an online shooter for just one match. Perhaps we need to break out of our comfort zones and do something we don't normally do or spend more time practicing and testing our limits. We just have to hope we can deal with the frustration that will bring. :)
Fri 06/08/10 at 12:45
Staff Moderator
"Show Me Your Moves"
dav2612 wrote:
> Perhaps it's just a case of these people should not be playing
> in an Amateur tournament.

This is more than likely. Unfortunately many many people (even more during the school holidays) love being top of these leader boards as it gives their e-peen a nice little stroke.

It's the sad state of some online games and is something that has no fix, with stuff like this I generally just play my own game and ignore these types of people otherwise, like you say, it can beome detrimental to the enjoyment of this mode.
Fri 06/08/10 at 11:44
Regular
"And in last place.."
Do you have a game you play online where you just know you are never going to win or even come close?

I've been playing Tiger Woods 2011 online this week. I entered my little golfer into an Amateur tournament. I finished +2 which isn't great but it's still early days and my golfer's stats are still low. The person at the top of the table scored a round of -24.

I then tried a 4 round tournament and my scores were +2, +3, -2, -3. Getting slightly better.

Then I look at the person at the top of the leaderboard who has recorded scores of -22, -22, -22,-22. The person in 2nd place has -22, -21, -21, -21.

With the scores I've got I don't expect to be competing yet but I'm several hundred places off the top spot and only 30 or 40 spaces of last place which is a terrible score of +191 for the 4 rounds.

It's my first venture online but already I have little interest in playing again. Even at my height of Tiger Woods-ing (the 04 version on the PS2) I've never managed to reach -22 or -24 for a round.

Perhaps it's just a case of these people should not be playing in an Amateur tournament.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Impressive control panel
I have to say that I'm impressed with the features available having logged on... Loads of info - excellent.
Phil
Wonderful...
... and so easy-to-use even for a technophobe like me. I had my website up in a couple of hours. Thank you.
Vivien

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.