GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Microsoft will not succeed"

The "Xbox Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sun 20/08/00 at 14:26
Regular
Microsofts xbox will not succeed becaus of the popularity of the playstation. By the time the X Box comes out all potential buyers will probably already own a dreamcast, dolphin or playstation 2. I also believe that microsoft will make many addons for it that will be needed to play the games and this turning it into a cheaper PC.
Wed 14/02/01 at 18:37
Has everybody forgotten that a PCcan do way more than an X-Box, is faster, and is easier to develop. Sure it may cost a lot more, but ~I would rather buy one than buy an X-Box for games, when I have a faster PC. One of my mates has an 800mhz PC. Faster than the X-box now!

Wed 14/02/01 at 09:26
I think that microsoft will succed.
Deste, Ok you wait and buy an AMD1800GHz,how much will that cost you? LOADS! I agree that not everyone will want to buy an X-Box, just like not everyone wants to buy a PS2. I for one have no intention of buying a PS2 as I am quite satisfied with my Dreamcast at the moment. I will wait and get either an X-Box or a Gamecube. The thing that will decide for me which one to get will be the quality of the games that are available. I dont care if the gamecube has a faster fill rate, as long as the games are good, thats all that matters. Its not the speed of the console that counts, look at things like the Amiga CD32, that was the first 32bit console, but it didnt take off because it was too expensive and there was no good games for it. Also, do you know what the first 64bit console was? ITs not the N64 as most people think but it was actually the Jaguar, i think, which was out at the same time as the SNES and megadrive, so it was 4 times as powerful, but didnt take off because Nintendo and Sega had all the quality games.
Now that Sega are making games for other consoles, and you have to admit they do make some fantastic games, why shouldnt the other consoles succed.
Microsoft have got the money to put into it, they have got Sega making games for them, and IF the X-Box can play Dreamcast games then my mind is made up, I will buy an X-Box.
You say that you cant do your college work on an X-Box, fair point, but can you do it on a GameCube?

To sum up, its not the speed of the machine that counts, its the games. I wish i still had ths a SNES with MarioKart on it, anyone got one they want to sell?

Ingsy
Wed 14/02/01 at 03:48
Number 1 - Processor Intel Pentium 3 733! lol. The only thing saving this machine is the NV-25. If it was faster than gamecube it's good to remember that the 16 bit nintendo was slower than the Megadrive but lasted longer.
Number 2 - 64 mb shared memory.
Number 3 - Cut down version of windows for an operating system. We all know how good windows is don't we?
Number 4 - Way overblown specs NV-25 already dropped from 250mhz to 200 mhz. How many more drops in performance of system weaknesses are microsoft marketing not mentioning.
Number 5 - Japanese developers not "Overwhelmed"
Number 6 - Huge console, cut down pc, heating issues, Hard drive fragile. Nvidia chips run hot now! Not cheap. How much do you really think a stripped down PC with a hard drive and DVD is bound to cost? Uses Aluminium which is a slower conductor while gamecube uses copper.
Number 7 - Exaggerated Specs more a result of marketing than any real analysis - reports are the fill rate is low compared to Gamecube as it lacks internal cache, fill rate is fast on playstation. Gamecube will apply 8 effects to the texture in 1 pass! will X box? it can render 4 at a time.
Number 8 - Nintendo say "Microsoft doesn't know games" most Japanese agree.
Number 9- It's hard to differentiate a cut down PC and an X box, I'll wait a year and get a Hammer 1800mhz from AMD and and nvidia 35 with 128 meg ram. Wow my machine will be as powerful as X BOX 2 almost. 3DO lost because of the same reason. Why have a X BOX when you have a PC. I mean I can't do my word processing for College on an X-box, so I'll buy a PC!
Number 10 - I'd rather play Perfect Dark 2, Metroid and Pokemon, Mario Party, Super Smash Brothers, Zelda and anything by rare than Microsoft. Monster Truck Madness anyone?
Number 11 - Sony and Square are unbeatable by Microsoft. Sony has more brand credibility than Microsoft and Gran Turismo and more innovative titles will edge out Microsoft.
Number 12 - Playstation 3's chipset will be complete by the end of next year. Spoiling any possible bonuses Microsoft have.
Polls online indicate X box has marginal support at best, probablary the same as the dreamcast. PC users will buy PC's. People that like Gamecube will buy a gamecube, people that like PS2 will buy PS2 because of square and others and X box, well if you like a few good titles go for it. It's a good machine, but it has weaknesses and a heck of a long fight. Good thing Microsoft have money!
Wed 14/02/01 at 03:48
Number 1 - Processor Intel Pentium 3 733! lol. The only thing saving this machine is the NV-25. If it was faster than gamecube it's good to remember that the 16 bit nintendo was slower than the Megadrive but lasted longer.
Number 2 - 64 mb shared memory.
Number 3 - Cut down version of windows for an operating system. We all know how good windows is don't we?
Number 4 - Way overblown specs NV-25 already dropped from 250mhz to 200 mhz. How many more drops in performance of system weaknesses are microsoft marketing not mentioning.
Number 5 - Japanese developers not "Overwhelmed"
Number 6 - Huge console, cut down pc, heating issues, Hard drive fragile. Nvidia chips run hot now! Not cheap. How much do you really think a stripped down PC with a hard drive and DVD is bound to cost? Uses Aluminium which is a slower conductor while gamecube uses copper.
Number 7 - Exaggerated Specs more a result of marketing than any real analysis - reports are the fill rate is low compared to Gamecube as it lacks internal cache, fill rate is fast on playstation. Gamecube will apply 8 effects to the texture in 1 pass! will X box? it can render 4 at a time.
Number 8 - Nintendo say "Microsoft doesn't know games" most Japanese agree.
Number 9- It's hard to differentiate a cut down PC and an X box, I'll wait a year and get a Hammer 1800mhz from AMD and and nvidia 35 with 128 meg ram. Wow my machine will be as powerful as X BOX 2 almost. 3DO lost because of the same reason. Why have a X BOX when you have a PC. I mean I can't do my word processing for College on an X-box, so I'll buy a PC!
Number 10 - I'd rather play Perfect Dark 2, Metroid and Pokemon, Mario Party, Super Smash Brothers, Zelda and anything by rare than Microsoft. Monster Truck Madness anyone?
Number 11 - Sony and Square are unbeatable by Microsoft. Sony has more brand credibility than Microsoft and Gran Turismo and more innovative titles will edge out Microsoft.
Number 12 - Playstation 3's chipset will be complete by the end of next year. Spoiling any possible bonuses Microsoft have.
Polls online indicate X box has marginal support at best, probablary the same as the dreamcast. PC users will buy PC's. People that like Gamecube will buy a gamecube, people that like PS2 will buy PS2 because of square and others and X box, well if you like a few good titles go for it. It's a good machine, but it has weaknesses and a heck of a long fight. Good thing Microsoft have money!
Sat 03/02/01 at 00:09
Regular
"ATAT Supremo"
Remember when the PS1 first came out ? Remember Toshinden ?
Well i was talking to this bloke before and he showed me his thumb on his left hand - his thumb was one big blister from the PS controllers D-pad ! It was so gross ! But my thumbs got sore from that D-pad too !
The D-pad on the SNES was nice and soft, so why couldn't Sony make theirs like that !?
Anyway, thats me done for one moan ;-)

Tue 30/01/01 at 22:47
Why do I dislike the Ps and PS2, ok maybe dislike was that wrong phrase, lets just say i prefer other consoles. Their games, controllers etc.

It's fair to say that the original PS controller was crap, N64 was better and the Dreamcast controller is well good. It may sound silly but if you are playing games for a long period of time they have to be comfortable, frankly, after playing GT2 for a few hours, it felt like my thumb was going to fall off.

Has a price for the X-box been confirmed? I dont know if one has, i was just speculating that it would be a good move to price it lower than the PS2 launch price.
Tue 30/01/01 at 13:32
Regular
"Complete Banker"

Hang on a sec.
"Secondly X-Box will succeed I personally think it will be cheaper than the PS2 when that launched, ie less than £300."
J Allard has all but admitted that the X-Box will not be cheaper than £300 - ie more expensive than a PS2

"I have to say i have played a playstation and a PS2 and i
dislike them both"

Why?

The X-Box won't be in Europe for over a year and by that time Sony'll have a stong presence here.
Tue 30/01/01 at 13:15
First things first, Bobdefish, why have you poseted the same message in about 5 different topics? do you have nothing original to say?

Secondly X-Box will succeed, whether it has the Dreamcast chip thing inside or not. I personally think it will be cheaper than the PS2 when that launched, ie less than £300. This is because microsoft can afford to lose money on the cosole, because they've got so much money anyway, whats a loss off a few million?

If the X-box can play Dreamcast games, well it will be amazing, it will come out and already have a back catalogue of games, many of them classics. If you add to that list all of the classic PC games which will no doubt arrive on the cosole as well, it will be well on the way.

I have to say i have played a playstation and a PS2 and i dislike them both, i think that im not the only person like this, and so all the people that are saying "By the time the X-Box comes out everyone will have a PS2" are wrong. I think the X-Box will rock and im planning on getting one!

By the way, i already own a PC, N64 and a Dreamcast.
Mon 29/01/01 at 23:46
It certainly would be great if the xbox is produced with a dreamcast chip allready installed, but at this point i think its more specualtion than anything.

Personally iam really worried about the future of the games industry, on the one hand we have Sega, producer of some of the best games ever, the original grand daddy as it were of games.

On the over side we have the new baby on the block Microsoft, with oodles of money to burn and an aparent agressive marketing strategy in the pipeline.

However i have to wonder - will the word "Microsoft" and its enivatible link with Bill Gates (one of the most hated men o fthe internet)and the fact that the Eastern gamers seem to already hate the thing before weve had a chance to see what it can do.

This worries me because id the best developers such as square and konami aren't excited i wonder if there's something we don't know.

Nintendo are about to do their usual by the look of it and follow the n64 formulae, and release a games console far too late and majorly overpriced. (so here come the pokenmon once again)

So were left with the ps2, what a dissapointment.

Also were are the development kits??? Were we not promised that the real third generation consoles would be great for the home programmer?

Plus when a Large company like Sony having just released a new console is already talking about playstation 3 (having already got a working console that's 12 ps2's in one box)iam decidly worried.

If this is the future, then iam staying with my ORIGINAL Playstation!

Thu 16/11/00 at 19:31
Sounds a good idea (a microsoft console)! But i have noticed it says Powerd by DirectX in the middle. And on the P.C Most new games need the newer DirectX, So what will happen to X-Box games? And this rubbish about the Hard-drive inside, games might have virses on them or from the internet (If x-box has a modem!) So what will happen then? and the hard disk might fill up! SO X-BOX I THINK YOU WILL BE A 0.000001/10 (0.000001 out of 10)

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Impressive control panel
I have to say that I'm impressed with the features available having logged on... Loads of info - excellent.
Phil
Wonderful...
... and so easy-to-use even for a technophobe like me. I had my website up in a couple of hours. Thank you.
Vivien

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.