GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"What makes a game?"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 20/11/01 at 22:57
Regular
The same thing that makes a movie…the music scores…there’s no doubt about it.

Okay…take Armageddon as a good example. Music composed by Trevor Rabin, okay. A film by Michael Bay, fine; what makes this particular motion picture so great is its soundtrack. And why not? After all, it really puts you in the storyline, making you feel as though you are actually in the movie. That is one reason I went to the cinema a second time to view this wonderful flick. That’s exactly what movies do to you; get you radically addicted.
Then you have the Star Wars episodes. Now there’s a movie you cannot argue with. As George Lucas said himself…”You are not watching the movie…you are not hearing the words…but what you’re doing, is your listening to the music”. (Or at least something similar to that anyway)

So, what makes a game then? All right…I shall give you the best example possible. Well two great examples in fact, of two highly anticipated games that have not even been released yet – I know this from only viewing the movie clips found on the Net. Does the titles Halo and Silent Hill 2 ring any bell? They do? Good. In that case, it will be much easier explaining then…
First things first...if you have not yet downloaded the Halo footage found at the Bungie website, the game’s developers, then please follow this link. Download the movie, watch the whole thing, which is around 10 minutes approx, then return and read what I have to say about it. The movie can be found at the following address:
http://www.bungie.com/products/halo/halo.htm
Alternatively…you may carry on reading and download the movie later…with great anticipation, because what I am about to say will truly fascinate you.
You ready? Great…
Halo brings to us the most powerful graphics yet seen in a videogame. Relax, relax, this is not a review, lol. Right…Halo has the best soundtrack on Earth; no questions offered or accepted. Just watch the footage and listen to the music, then judge for yourself. I am sure you will all agree, when I say that this is simply the best music score ever created. That’s the final word, because there is absolutely no beating this outstanding music score.
Or is there? Silent Hill 2...
Yes, there certainly is...after all that.
Silent Hill 2 - simply the best soundtrack ever. And this time I mean it. No reall, I do...honest. Why do I think Silent Hill 2 deserves so much credit? Well...merely because I have downloaded the whole soundtrack of the game...that's right, all 30 in-game themes; all found at http://www.planetps2.com/thehorror/Features/Sh2.html
And let me tell you one thing...if you can listen to the same theme, repeated over and over again, from morning until night, then trust me...it must be the best theme ever heard...to opinion of course.
The storyline of SH2 is also very deep, with compelling gameplay. This is one great title that stands out from all others when it comes to the soundtrack, not to mention everything else about it. But let’s not forget the true reason for this particular post…what makes a game? Soundtracks, soundtracks and even more…soundtracks.

Thanks for reading my post.

Best wishes to all,

Son Of Liberty
Tue 20/11/01 at 23:21
Regular
"Evil Ryu"
Fish-e wrote:
> I hate to be cocky but obviously it is the game developers, designers etc that
> make the game. duh gee fred :P

nah respect to you mate

That's cool Fish-e - it was quite funny in fact.
Tue 20/11/01 at 23:12
I hate to be cocky but obviously it is the game developers, designers etc that make the game. duh gee fred :P

nah respect to you mate
Tue 20/11/01 at 23:10
Regular
"Evil Ryu"
Oh yes...there are also many other titles of both, movies and games I would like to point out as well. Metal Gear Solid 2 being one of them.

The soundtrack - sensational and very emotional, but does not quite live up to SILENT HILL 2 - nope...no way
Tue 20/11/01 at 22:57
Regular
"Evil Ryu"
The same thing that makes a movie…the music scores…there’s no doubt about it.

Okay…take Armageddon as a good example. Music composed by Trevor Rabin, okay. A film by Michael Bay, fine; what makes this particular motion picture so great is its soundtrack. And why not? After all, it really puts you in the storyline, making you feel as though you are actually in the movie. That is one reason I went to the cinema a second time to view this wonderful flick. That’s exactly what movies do to you; get you radically addicted.
Then you have the Star Wars episodes. Now there’s a movie you cannot argue with. As George Lucas said himself…”You are not watching the movie…you are not hearing the words…but what you’re doing, is your listening to the music”. (Or at least something similar to that anyway)

So, what makes a game then? All right…I shall give you the best example possible. Well two great examples in fact, of two highly anticipated games that have not even been released yet – I know this from only viewing the movie clips found on the Net. Does the titles Halo and Silent Hill 2 ring any bell? They do? Good. In that case, it will be much easier explaining then…
First things first...if you have not yet downloaded the Halo footage found at the Bungie website, the game’s developers, then please follow this link. Download the movie, watch the whole thing, which is around 10 minutes approx, then return and read what I have to say about it. The movie can be found at the following address:
http://www.bungie.com/products/halo/halo.htm
Alternatively…you may carry on reading and download the movie later…with great anticipation, because what I am about to say will truly fascinate you.
You ready? Great…
Halo brings to us the most powerful graphics yet seen in a videogame. Relax, relax, this is not a review, lol. Right…Halo has the best soundtrack on Earth; no questions offered or accepted. Just watch the footage and listen to the music, then judge for yourself. I am sure you will all agree, when I say that this is simply the best music score ever created. That’s the final word, because there is absolutely no beating this outstanding music score.
Or is there? Silent Hill 2...
Yes, there certainly is...after all that.
Silent Hill 2 - simply the best soundtrack ever. And this time I mean it. No reall, I do...honest. Why do I think Silent Hill 2 deserves so much credit? Well...merely because I have downloaded the whole soundtrack of the game...that's right, all 30 in-game themes; all found at http://www.planetps2.com/thehorror/Features/Sh2.html
And let me tell you one thing...if you can listen to the same theme, repeated over and over again, from morning until night, then trust me...it must be the best theme ever heard...to opinion of course.
The storyline of SH2 is also very deep, with compelling gameplay. This is one great title that stands out from all others when it comes to the soundtrack, not to mention everything else about it. But let’s not forget the true reason for this particular post…what makes a game? Soundtracks, soundtracks and even more…soundtracks.

Thanks for reading my post.

Best wishes to all,

Son Of Liberty

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Simple, yet effective...
This is perfect, so simple yet effective, couldnt believe that I could build a web site, have alrealdy recommended you to friends. Brilliant.
Con
My website looks tremendous!
Fantastic site, easy to follow, simple guides... impressed with whole package. My website looks tremendous. You don't need to be a rocket scientist to set this up, Freeola helps you step-by-step.
Susan

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.