GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Worms goes interactive!"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 20/11/01 at 20:19
Regular
Worms, one of the greatest turn based strategy games on the planet, has become interactive!

"What do you mean?" I hear you say, "Isn't it already interactive on our consoles and PCs?"

Well, the answer to that question is quite simply....

Yes.

"So what's new? Why mention that now when we already knew that?"

Well hears my reason:

Worms isn't just an interactive game on our PCs, Dreamcasts, N64s, Playstations, PS2s, Saturns, Macs, and other systems designed to be able to run software, it is now interactive on our televisions.

Yep! For those of you with Sky, you'll be able to play Worms on your TV's!

Apparently Team17 and Sky digital have joined forces to bring this classic PC onto an interactive channel called Gamestar.

Unfortunately, I do not have Sky myself, but I do have the original game, Worms United, on the PC.

As well as that, Gamestar is a pay per view, or should I say, pay per play channel.

"So what about those of us who do have Sky digital and have the PC version of Worms?"

Well Worms on Gamestar will be sticking to the classic gameplay, but it will however have brand new weaponry and a whole load of new multiplayer modes.

"What does this mean for the future of gaming?"

Think of it this way, developers will be able to cash in on their classic games by making you pay to play them on interactive digital television channels. That way, they will have more finances to be able to make new and innovative games.

Those of us who do have Sky digital will be able to play new games as they are launched on interactive tv channels allowing developers to see how the public respond to them. They'll then know whether or not they are worth releasing on any consoles.

This is a major step in videogaming history. Already, people with digital TV can play games using their remotes, however these games are limited and are like the classic arcade games. Can you imagine what can be sent through the airwaves into your ariel and played on your TVs? Well, lets just say that it wont be just your TV doing the processing. You'll be interacting with the TV station's systems to play the game meaning that you have virtually unlimited resources, so long as the tv companies have set up these channels properly, allowing bigger, better and more entertaining games than ever before!

I just hope that this kind of gaming takes off, but doesn't take over the classic "console/pc" gaming we're used to. If we're all playing "pay per play" games then we'll run up big bills and wont be able to keep our games to play over and over again.

So, in theory, and hopefully in practise, this is a good idea!

Team17 obviously think it's a great idea, I wonder how many others will?
Sun 25/11/01 at 20:02
Regular
"Remember me?"
I KNOW!!!!!!
Those are the words from the theme song at the beginning of Worms Armageddon on the PC.

I am the best.
(licks fingers and rubs nipples!)
Sun 25/11/01 at 19:18
Guess what the latest news is about on Special Reserve?

For any Worms fans out there, here's a small pinch of worms trivia:

What game is this from:

"Many moons have passed since the worms went to war,
Onwards and upwards, bigger weapons than before.
Boggy B. took cover, he shivered on patrol,
The arms race crazy, simply out of control.
Then as friend threw it, the latest device,
Boggy B. went and got it, against all advice.

What the?

His tail was split, and his energy lost,
How many more will this dreaded war cost?
The came the nuke and the disease tumbling down,
If the bug didn't get you, you probably drowned.
But the worms battled on, in hunger and pain,
living to fight, just to victor again.

And now it's the curtain call, the final onslaught,
No better bullets, you could possibly have bought.
But spare a thought for Boggy, and with it his friend,
So fight with their honour, and fight until the end."

Come on, any worms fan would know this!
Tue 20/11/01 at 20:52
Regular
"Hoo Har"
WEll this is the rarest thing I've ever seen.

A decent topic posted by a JAT...
Kepp it up A-Dog.
Tue 20/11/01 at 20:34
Regular
Nicely written.

I've always liked worms... but I think this paytoplay thing will put people off... it's a shame really, it would be a lot of fun.

Still, give me Beehive Bedlam anyday. ;0)
Tue 20/11/01 at 20:19
Worms, one of the greatest turn based strategy games on the planet, has become interactive!

"What do you mean?" I hear you say, "Isn't it already interactive on our consoles and PCs?"

Well, the answer to that question is quite simply....

Yes.

"So what's new? Why mention that now when we already knew that?"

Well hears my reason:

Worms isn't just an interactive game on our PCs, Dreamcasts, N64s, Playstations, PS2s, Saturns, Macs, and other systems designed to be able to run software, it is now interactive on our televisions.

Yep! For those of you with Sky, you'll be able to play Worms on your TV's!

Apparently Team17 and Sky digital have joined forces to bring this classic PC onto an interactive channel called Gamestar.

Unfortunately, I do not have Sky myself, but I do have the original game, Worms United, on the PC.

As well as that, Gamestar is a pay per view, or should I say, pay per play channel.

"So what about those of us who do have Sky digital and have the PC version of Worms?"

Well Worms on Gamestar will be sticking to the classic gameplay, but it will however have brand new weaponry and a whole load of new multiplayer modes.

"What does this mean for the future of gaming?"

Think of it this way, developers will be able to cash in on their classic games by making you pay to play them on interactive digital television channels. That way, they will have more finances to be able to make new and innovative games.

Those of us who do have Sky digital will be able to play new games as they are launched on interactive tv channels allowing developers to see how the public respond to them. They'll then know whether or not they are worth releasing on any consoles.

This is a major step in videogaming history. Already, people with digital TV can play games using their remotes, however these games are limited and are like the classic arcade games. Can you imagine what can be sent through the airwaves into your ariel and played on your TVs? Well, lets just say that it wont be just your TV doing the processing. You'll be interacting with the TV station's systems to play the game meaning that you have virtually unlimited resources, so long as the tv companies have set up these channels properly, allowing bigger, better and more entertaining games than ever before!

I just hope that this kind of gaming takes off, but doesn't take over the classic "console/pc" gaming we're used to. If we're all playing "pay per play" games then we'll run up big bills and wont be able to keep our games to play over and over again.

So, in theory, and hopefully in practise, this is a good idea!

Team17 obviously think it's a great idea, I wonder how many others will?

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Thanks!
Thank you for dealing with this so promptly it's nice having a service provider that offers a good service, rare to find nowadays.
I've been with Freeola for 14 years...
I've been with Freeola for 14 years now, and in that time you have proven time and time again to be a top-ranking internet service provider and unbeatable hosting service. Thank you.
Anthony

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.