GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Temptation Island!"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 20/11/01 at 18:56
Regular
Temptation island, for those who have never seen the television programme then here is a little bit about what happens.

Three couples get sent to these exotic islands and separated from their partners. The men go to an island with single females and the females go to an island with single blokes. The whole idea is to see if they can go the full 2 weeks without being tempted to cheat on their partners.

Well this one is slightly different, this time it is about gamers and to see how long they can go without playing their favourite console and tosee if they can resist the temptation of the console they hate.

So who are the stars of the show?
Rasta is a Ninty, for his week he must go to an island where the only form of gaming available is a PS2 and every game that is out now is available.

ANT is a huge fan of Sony and the PS2, he has to go to a Ninty occupied island where his only form of gaming is a GameCube. Can he resist the urge?
Each may play on the console they hate but there is also an option to give up and play the console of their choice.

On the boat out to the island they get there change to play their final game before they must depart the boat and begin the game. ANT plays Smackdown 3 and as he arrives at the island one of the island locals has to drag him of the boat kicking and screaming. Rasta laughs but his turn isn't too far away. Another 15 minutes on the boat and we arrive at the island where Rasta will spend his week. He drops the controller and leaps of the boat and with a smile on his face collects his things and goes to his hut. The two are left alone for the first night to get
settled.

Day 1
Both find day one quite easy, relaxing on the beach and getting to know where everything they need is, Rasta trys his luck at the bar but the woman is unable to understand his accent. ANT works on his tan to impress the ladies for when he goes home. Latter that night we go to check on Rasta, sounds come from the hut and it appears he is enjoying himself. "Rasta are you in there?"

Rasta:"err.....errr..emmm hold on a minute!"

We enter the room and find Rasta sitting on his bed clutching a GBA. Immediately it is took of him and a meeting is held to discus whether or not he can continue the game. While all this is happening ANT is tucked up safely in bed, dreaming of his PS2 back home. The decision on Rasta's future is made, he can stay but will be allowed no games at all, to win he must go without any games.

It is on day 4 that things begin to heat up. ANT is caught taking the gamecube out the box but only looks at it for a minute before placing it back in the box and putting it back on the shelf. Rasta is caught chatting up one of the female staff members and trying to bribe her to give him back his GBA, he offered her some "Special services" in return. No action was taken as it amused the crew to see just what measures each would take to try and win.

After these events both contenders where given the chance to watch a short DVD clip of their friends at home playing on their console. Both accepted and sat watching the film, ANT watched on as his friends had a battle at Smackdown 3 then hooked up 6 consoles and 6 tv's and played GT3, the drool ran down his face, as he walked back to his hut he did appear to be rather sad. Rasta watched his film of his friends playing a new Mario Kart game on the GameCube, his jaw dropped and eyes nearly popped out of his head, he couldn't believe what he was seeing. He went back to his hut.

When we tried to wake Rasta the next morning he was gone but we did find him 15 miles of the coast as he tried to swim home to play the GameCube.

As we returned to the Islands we decided to pay ANT a visit, the frustration had got to him and he had took the GameCube out the box and all the parts where lying on the floor of his hut. ANT stood in the middle of the hut.

ANT: "Damm dirty Monkey poo piece of Nintardo"

With this scream he started to smash the GameCube up. A smile appeared apon his face and he sat back down on his bed and wrote a story for Gameaday.
the pressure was to much for Rasta and on the fith day he decided enough was enough, he gave up and handed ANT a well deserved victory.

Both competitors where given a brand new console of thier choice and money for peripherals and games. On return they both went home to tehir consoles and spent the next two weeks solid making up for loss time.

The End!
So what did you think?

On a serious note after you hopefully read all this. Today consoles and games are quite addictive and like television can be hard to give up for a period of time. They stimulate the brain, with their variety of colours and sounds and a high level of human interaction the sole purpose of most games is to be fun and entertain. But in the same way as with television too much can damage eyesight and lead to other small problems. To most of us gaming is an enjoyable past time that keeps us entertained and gives us that bit of fun when we want or in some cases need it.
But have you ever thought how hard it would be to call it a day and stop playing games for good? I have to try sometimes when I have loads of Uni work to do but after about 5 days I need to have a "quick" go on some good games.
I think that as long as the games and consoles are good and I can physically pick up the controller and understand what to do then I will always play games, maybe not as much but I can't honestly see me giving it up totally.
So my questions to you are these:
1. Do you think giving up gaming would be easy?
2. At what age do you think you will stop?
3. Whats the best game you have played ever?
Sun 25/07/10 at 20:52
Regular
We caught - Codling,Mackerel,Ling,Cuckoo,Herring,Pouting,Poor Cod,Tub,Grey,Red gurnard,Tope,Dogs,Dab,Plaice,Scorpion fish + maybe Bollan,not sure.
Note no Launce,Coalfish,Whiting,Spur,Conger,Black bream etc.
Ian Byron hit a purple patch which caught us all off guard.Snagging and losing his special killer rig was no problem to him as a standard 2 down scratcher ensured he kept on catching..The late scorpion fish showing how ridiculous the evening had got for him.
A particularly large Dab midway through the session earned him a mackerel(dead) to the head, launched from the front of the boat, as his performance was starting to draw envy from some quarters.
The first ever Tope caught on a Tues night trip woke Sharpy up from his dreaming.Estimated between 20 - 25 lb's it was big enough to wreck the skippers landing net and twist away from my grip of the tail.
Surprisingly there was no whip round suggested to replace the skippers net.A bit rotten really as he had to buy a new teapot for the galley in 2007 and the start of the season saw a new own brand bottle of washing up liquid come on board.
Two normally reliable ace tacticians had a night to forget(Cam & Quinney).If they count the times they caught each other and an Octopus they may have made a handful of species, tops. It was a bit of a head scratcher at times as for e.g. on one long drift some people (Kinney)couldn't stop catching Codling and some of the quality anglers only just scraped one or two.
Other notables, Mr Payton retained one of the better Plaice seen this season, and he also brought a guest with him who managed to catch more than most of us, typical.
Wed 21/11/01 at 13:26
Regular
"Picking a winner!"
Mario Kart on the SNES was one of the most addictive games of my childhood, Onece played it at a friends house when I was staying over for 16 hours non-stop. I struggled to walk afterwards but I'm sure that was due to lack of sleep.
Wed 21/11/01 at 09:15
Regular
"Not your monkey"
Strafex wrote:

> Perhaps a real anti PS2 zealot would've been more
> appropiate, but none come to mind right now...

> One who would kick and scream
> ten times louder than Ant...

Perhaps Dringo vs Turbonutter! Now that would have been a real match! It would have turned into a race to see which one managed to burn down the entire island the quickest.!

Ali's questions:
First two are hard - as yet i never plan to stop.
Best game: Game i played over and over again and loved the most when it was out was definately the SNES version of Mario Kart! Pure brilliance!
Tue 20/11/01 at 22:39
Regular
"Picking a winner!"
thanks for the good comments.
Tue 20/11/01 at 21:21
great story Aliboy!

1. I doubt it, maybe if I broke my thumbs continually...

2. Forever!, seriously (i hope)

3.Shenmue II, space Invaders (yep you read that right) and Headhunter
Tue 20/11/01 at 21:15
Regular
Lol. Clever idea there.

Still, Rasta isn't a PS2 hating Ninty, he just prefers Nintendo and would quite happily play on a PS2 for days if he didn't have to pay for it.

Perhaps a real anti PS2 zealot would've been more appropiate, but none come to mind right now...

One who would kick and scream ten times louder than Ant...
Tue 20/11/01 at 21:09
Regular
"I like cheese"
LOL!! Nice one there Aliboy, I think my character was true to real life. {:) Very amusing and entertaining.

*Ant warns young children that the real Temptation Island is not as innocent as this, and tells them not to watch it until they're much older*

Anyway, here are my answers:

1. I expect I could, but I would struggle, and it would get to me for a long time. A lot of my friends who don't play games much often get bored at home, where as I don't. It's a form of non-stop entertainment.

2. I hope I will never stop, although I'll have less time to play as I get older.

3. Metal Gear Solid.
Tue 20/11/01 at 18:56
Regular
"Picking a winner!"
Temptation island, for those who have never seen the television programme then here is a little bit about what happens.

Three couples get sent to these exotic islands and separated from their partners. The men go to an island with single females and the females go to an island with single blokes. The whole idea is to see if they can go the full 2 weeks without being tempted to cheat on their partners.

Well this one is slightly different, this time it is about gamers and to see how long they can go without playing their favourite console and tosee if they can resist the temptation of the console they hate.

So who are the stars of the show?
Rasta is a Ninty, for his week he must go to an island where the only form of gaming available is a PS2 and every game that is out now is available.

ANT is a huge fan of Sony and the PS2, he has to go to a Ninty occupied island where his only form of gaming is a GameCube. Can he resist the urge?
Each may play on the console they hate but there is also an option to give up and play the console of their choice.

On the boat out to the island they get there change to play their final game before they must depart the boat and begin the game. ANT plays Smackdown 3 and as he arrives at the island one of the island locals has to drag him of the boat kicking and screaming. Rasta laughs but his turn isn't too far away. Another 15 minutes on the boat and we arrive at the island where Rasta will spend his week. He drops the controller and leaps of the boat and with a smile on his face collects his things and goes to his hut. The two are left alone for the first night to get
settled.

Day 1
Both find day one quite easy, relaxing on the beach and getting to know where everything they need is, Rasta trys his luck at the bar but the woman is unable to understand his accent. ANT works on his tan to impress the ladies for when he goes home. Latter that night we go to check on Rasta, sounds come from the hut and it appears he is enjoying himself. "Rasta are you in there?"

Rasta:"err.....errr..emmm hold on a minute!"

We enter the room and find Rasta sitting on his bed clutching a GBA. Immediately it is took of him and a meeting is held to discus whether or not he can continue the game. While all this is happening ANT is tucked up safely in bed, dreaming of his PS2 back home. The decision on Rasta's future is made, he can stay but will be allowed no games at all, to win he must go without any games.

It is on day 4 that things begin to heat up. ANT is caught taking the gamecube out the box but only looks at it for a minute before placing it back in the box and putting it back on the shelf. Rasta is caught chatting up one of the female staff members and trying to bribe her to give him back his GBA, he offered her some "Special services" in return. No action was taken as it amused the crew to see just what measures each would take to try and win.

After these events both contenders where given the chance to watch a short DVD clip of their friends at home playing on their console. Both accepted and sat watching the film, ANT watched on as his friends had a battle at Smackdown 3 then hooked up 6 consoles and 6 tv's and played GT3, the drool ran down his face, as he walked back to his hut he did appear to be rather sad. Rasta watched his film of his friends playing a new Mario Kart game on the GameCube, his jaw dropped and eyes nearly popped out of his head, he couldn't believe what he was seeing. He went back to his hut.

When we tried to wake Rasta the next morning he was gone but we did find him 15 miles of the coast as he tried to swim home to play the GameCube.

As we returned to the Islands we decided to pay ANT a visit, the frustration had got to him and he had took the GameCube out the box and all the parts where lying on the floor of his hut. ANT stood in the middle of the hut.

ANT: "Damm dirty Monkey poo piece of Nintardo"

With this scream he started to smash the GameCube up. A smile appeared apon his face and he sat back down on his bed and wrote a story for Gameaday.
the pressure was to much for Rasta and on the fith day he decided enough was enough, he gave up and handed ANT a well deserved victory.

Both competitors where given a brand new console of thier choice and money for peripherals and games. On return they both went home to tehir consoles and spent the next two weeks solid making up for loss time.

The End!
So what did you think?

On a serious note after you hopefully read all this. Today consoles and games are quite addictive and like television can be hard to give up for a period of time. They stimulate the brain, with their variety of colours and sounds and a high level of human interaction the sole purpose of most games is to be fun and entertain. But in the same way as with television too much can damage eyesight and lead to other small problems. To most of us gaming is an enjoyable past time that keeps us entertained and gives us that bit of fun when we want or in some cases need it.
But have you ever thought how hard it would be to call it a day and stop playing games for good? I have to try sometimes when I have loads of Uni work to do but after about 5 days I need to have a "quick" go on some good games.
I think that as long as the games and consoles are good and I can physically pick up the controller and understand what to do then I will always play games, maybe not as much but I can't honestly see me giving it up totally.
So my questions to you are these:
1. Do you think giving up gaming would be easy?
2. At what age do you think you will stop?
3. Whats the best game you have played ever?

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Best Provider
The best provider I know of, never a problem, recommend highly
Paul
Wonderful...
... and so easy-to-use even for a technophobe like me. I had my website up in a couple of hours. Thank you.
Vivien

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.