GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Yes or No?"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sat 24/07/10 at 21:05
Regular
"Feather edged ..."
Is there a 'logical reason' behind the following, or is it 'Yes or No'?

There are two standard replies to most questions 'Yes' and 'No' but .....

Why is it that 'yes' is always accepted but 'No' always elicits another question - 'Why'?

i.e.

"Will you take part in a sponsored charity walk?"

"Yes - Ok, I'll put your name down..cool..great..trific etc etc"

but

"No" .... "Why not?"

"Actually I'm bed-ridden"

"Oh, ok...so I'll take that as a 'no' then!"

I, personally, don't feel that I have to give a reason if I'm given a choice of 'yes' or 'no', either is sufficient.

:¬)
Sun 25/07/10 at 18:06
Regular
"Feather edged ..."
Warhunt wrote:
> If someone asks me I generally don't mind explaining. It's just
> one of those things.
>
> Same as "Are you paying by Cash or Card?" Say cash
> then it's ok, but say card and they wanna know which one before
> going further. There are multiple forms of cash too ......
>
> As Chris said, it's because people generally want a yes. And
> that is satisfactory.

Your example requires more than a straight 'yes' or 'no' .....the question elicits an exact reply, it could be called a 'constructive question', one which requires a definite and precise response which will have a definite effect on the outcome...

so it's not quite the same WH...perhaps 'you never take no as an answer' :¬)

Your gf/partner/wife asks....'Are we going out tonight?' ...... :¬)
Sun 25/07/10 at 17:45
Regular
"Going nowhere fast"
Must stop doing that, posted in wrong thread but while I'm here...

It all depends on the question surely? There are questions when answering no elicits no further questions but if you answer yes leads automatically to further questions.

Most times when I answer 'no' to a question I automatically expand on why I've said no anyway. Not that I've ever thought about it before now :)
Sun 25/07/10 at 12:40
Staff Moderator
"Freeola Ltd"
If someone asks me I generally don't mind explaining. It's just one of those things.

Same as "Are you paying by Cash or Card?" Say cash then it's ok, but say card and they wanna know which one before going further. There are multiple forms of cash too ......

As Chris said, it's because people generally want a yes. And that is satisfactory.
Sat 24/07/10 at 21:33
Regular
"How Ironic"
Interesting topic. I think because Yes is a positive response and the majority of the time means that you'll participate/you agree, that's good enough for the person who originally asked the question. The reason people ask why you've said no is so in future they can hopefully turn out more 'Yes''s with them reasons in mind. You should be allowed to say No as much as you like though IMO.
Sat 24/07/10 at 21:05
Regular
"Feather edged ..."
Is there a 'logical reason' behind the following, or is it 'Yes or No'?

There are two standard replies to most questions 'Yes' and 'No' but .....

Why is it that 'yes' is always accepted but 'No' always elicits another question - 'Why'?

i.e.

"Will you take part in a sponsored charity walk?"

"Yes - Ok, I'll put your name down..cool..great..trific etc etc"

but

"No" .... "Why not?"

"Actually I'm bed-ridden"

"Oh, ok...so I'll take that as a 'no' then!"

I, personally, don't feel that I have to give a reason if I'm given a choice of 'yes' or 'no', either is sufficient.

:¬)

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Great services and friendly support
I have been a subscriber to your service for more than 9 yrs. I have got at least 12 other people to sign up to Freeola. This is due to the great services offered and the responsive friendly support.
Top-notch internet service
Excellent internet service and customer service. Top-notch in replying to my comments.
Duncan

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.